Watch Connoisseur's Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I suppose instead of the Eames chair, looks like my parents would rather get me a nice watch and pen combo. They don't understand how a chair can cost that much....

Anyway, I'm not going to argue as I am always enamored by the nicest watches...

So, what kind of watches do you fellas have or recommend?

I made some rounds around town and felt that I really like the Baume et Mercier Classima watch! Sooo nice on my wrist... drool...

Just can't decide on which face...
41Uw3kTq2OL.jpg

2481_8732_grand.jpg

I was also looking at Cartier Pasha Seamaster, but it's a little more pricey than the Baume...
21435.jpg

What do you guys own or like?

Omega Dynamic

I bought myself the watch on the right in 1971, and it's still going strong. I changed the strap for a stainless steel bracelet (also made by Omega) 10 years ago. I still get lots of compliments about it as it does not look dated.

Attachments

• Omega_dynamics_70.jpg
    Omega_dynamics_70.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,408
Last edited:
Bernard,

I was looking at the current crop of Omegas, but I felt they were too sporty for what I was looking for. However, they are special watches.

I tried on some of the TAGs and I thought they looked very nice - organic to a point, like they were an extension of my wrist. Not completely something that stuck out.

I also tried on some Movados, but it's a bit too formal for my use.

I'm going to go to another jeweler tomorrow and check out the Breitlings and Rolexes.

Aw man... I just found out that the Rolex YachtMaster in steel is a whopping $8,000.

Alright, that's out of the picture. *Sigh*... maybe when I become an attending.

Good bye Yachtmaster.... :(:(
16622_front01_.jpg

Aw man... I just found out that the Rolex YachtMaster in steel is a whopping $8,000.

Alright, that's out of the picture. *Sigh*... maybe when I become an attending................
Joey, that is just as well; if you bought a YachtMaster you would then have to buy a yacht to go along with it.....or do you already have one ? :D

Ive owned a Rolex GMT II for 15 trouble free years and beat it every day ! I never take it off. They are pricy but wear like iron and hold their value !

Attachments

• 6 16760 (Small).jpg
    6 16760 (Small).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,279
Twenty years ago my wife and I were in London during our 20th anniversary (yes, your math is correct ... been married 40 years :D ). We stayed an a very high-class and expensive hotel where the resident jeweler sold a lot of the gold Rolex watches. Funny thing was, there was a gold/stainless steel watch exactly like the one pictured below that he'd had in inventory for over three years. Since everybody he sold to wanted the expensive gold watches with diamonds and stuff, he hadn't been able to move the watch. So I was one of the few people interested in it, and he said he'd let me have the watch at his original 3-year old cost. The dollar was really strong at that time and the price of new watches had gone up almost 50% since he got it, so I only paid about $2600 dollars for the watch! I still wear it and I still love it.

Attachments

• watch (Custom).jpg
    watch (Custom).jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,148
For everyday wearing. . .

I find it hard to beat the Breitling Hercules. It's heavy, but a really great piece of kit.

For those dressy evenings out, it has to be a Rolex Cellini for me. I'm also lusting after some of the current IWC range, but I really must control my spending!

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• brei3.jpg
    brei3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,174
Ok, these are the ones I love. I personaly own the Breitling Airworlf, Breitling Super Avenger and a Rado Sentra. The Breitling Super avenger at 48 mm is huge. Not a watch for everyone. ( listed in order Breitling Super avenger, Tag Monaco, Bell & Ross, Breitling Bentley Flying B and Breitling Airwolf).

Attachments

• img39_SuperAvenger-01.jpg
    img39_SuperAvenger-01.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,184
  • CW2111.FC6177.jpg
    CW2111.FC6177.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • br01-97-power-reserve-by-bell-and-ross.jpg
    br01-97-power-reserve-by-bell-and-ross.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 20060817131119.jpg
    20060817131119.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 21678.JPG
    21678.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,072
Last edited:
I'm definitely not a connaseur.. have a nice Tag and love my inexpensive new black Fossil, but this is the baby I'm really drooling after..
The Omega Seamaster James Bond edition..

Attachments

• OmegaBond.gif
    OmegaBond.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,053
  • MarksFossil.jpg
    MarksFossil.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,075
Breitling is one brand I want to see for myself now... classy and drool-inspiring watches Cher and David!

Mark... those 007 Omegas fly off them shelves faster than most any other Omega watch. I'd like to try one out too! If it's good enough for Bond, it's more than good enough for me. :D

I have Breitlings as well :)

I'm thinking about picking up a Rolex GMT Master though!

What you should ask yourself is... What color of the face do you want? What about the lettering for time? Do you want just dots, numbers, or Roman numberals? What about mechanical vs. quartz? Any additional features such as date? Stopwatch?

I am personally biased towards mechanical watches. O and, don't forget the number of jewels a watch has!

Good luck shopping!

Attachments

• vintage126bk-wh.jpg
    vintage126bk-wh.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,010
Day 2 of the watch hunt....

Apparently, I have ruled out the Baume and Mercier as my first watch. Probably superb as a second/third watch, but this graduation watch has to last a lifetime for me. I want to look down and know that I got this on 2008 after 8 years of schooling.

My mom is pushing that I get the Rolex instead.... and I am thrilled to have one on my hand (I actually had 2 on both my wrists today at the same time, I was || this close to running out of the store and to my car - though I probably had to compensate for the slush of snow that awaited outside the door).

I also saw that I really like the Breitling Superocean SteelFish.... what a FANTASTIC WATCH!

I'm going to start a poll.... check it out please.

Joey

Just an idle thought Joey - will you be wearing this watch at work. If you are doing procedural work your watch will inevitably come off for hand washing and gloving. Desperately easy to throw it out with the scrubs or forget to pick the watch up at the end of a case/list. If it was only for outside of work then your potential choices might be different?

Look forward to hearing of your decision. That is a great thing your parents are doing for you.

Kevin

Last edited:
I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of watches. Haven't worn one in years. I would beg them to reconsider the Eames. :D

Just an idle thought Joey - will you be wearing this watch at work. If you are doing procedural work your watch will inevitably come off for hand washing and gloving. Desperately easy to throw it out with the scrubs or forget to pick the watch up at the end of a case/list. If it was only for outside of work then your potential choices might be different?

Look forward to hearing of your decision. That is a great thing your parents are doing for you.

Kevin

A lot of the ER attendings keep their watch on... the only time attendings remove their watches (or residents) is if they go to the OR. I'm not going into surgery so aside from the few months that I will be rotating through the surgery service, I wouldn't need to remove my watch.

;)

I wear a Timex Flix with two time zones at work
and then after work I wear this...
6f5d_12.JPG

Breitling Le Mans 24 hr special edition.

Latest posts

Back