Buying my brother a subwoofer for Christmas...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
So, looking for something that my brother can use for a long time. I want a really good one for him, so I'm turning to you fanatics once again.

I've narrowed it down to these...
1. Velodyne DD-10 (piano black obviously)
2. Martin Logan Grotto-i

What's the consensus fellas?

To tell you the truth, my friend... I've never heard of James sub. :(

Joey

Grotto i is pretty awesome and if you are on a tighter budget, the Tannoy TS-10 or 12 is amazingly good for not big money.

If you would like an ACI Titan XL, I can hook you up, just PM me...

Happy holiday shopping dude!

Velo DD-10 gets my vote, while maybe not the best on the planet, regardless, one heck of a sub for the given 'street' price and with the built-in SMS system it is superb !!

That's why I love my DD-15 !!

The Velodyne is probably the better sub but I'd be getting him on the ML bandwagon and buying him a Grotto. Next thing he'll be lusting after a pair of CLXs or Statements!

So, looking for something that my brother can use for a long time. I want a really good one for him, so I'm turning to you fanatics once again.

I've narrowed it down to these...
1. Velodyne DD-10 (piano black obviously)
2. Martin Logan Grotto-i

What's the consensus fellas?

the consesus is - you have a disease called joeyitis... it is apparently communicable - and you are trying to pass it to your bro'. If he doesn't get the disease and upgrade by next year - you can feed your own disease by upgrading him - because it is your bro' - and you are a nice guy... It is a DISEASE!!! :) Btw, the James sub was one of absolute sounds recommended products. I have never heard it though...

Your brother is lucky to have a cool brother... Will you be my brother from another mother?

Merry Christmas Bro!

Your brother is lucky to have a cool brother... Will you be my brother from another mother?

Merry Christmas Bro!

Craig... actually in our case, it should be the reverse. You give ME a sub! I'll take a Torus please.

Thank you sir! :D

Thanks all... just got the DD10. I think my brother isn't going to expect this awesome-ness of a gift! I can't wait to see the look on his face. He's been wanting a sub but ever since he's heard the Summit's bass, he's not wanted a sub that was subpar.

Thanks fellas!

Joey

Brother got the gift.... and he LOVES it!!!!!

DSC02000.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

Last edited:
Progression of room correction graphs...
DSC02059.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

Perfect!! +/- 2db from 22hz to 100hz!!
DSC02066.jpg

My short review of the DD-10....

I'm getting one for my system. A DD-15 or 18 atleast.

That pretty much sums up what I thought of it. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Back