Universal Remote that you guys recommend?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know a lot of you use universal remotes and I've been wanting to get one for my parents for Christmas. Is there any that you guys recommend which are easy to use, program, and good UI/looks?

And if you include the price, that would be helpful with me trying to cut down the impending choices.

Thanks!

Joey

Joey -

My advice is any of the Harmony models as they are easy to program and easy to use. They're also affordable.

... I know a lot of you use universal remotes and I've been wanting to get one for my parents for Christmas. Is there any that you guys recommend which are easy to use, program, and good UI/looks?...
Joey -- That's like saying "what speakers should I get?" There's no right or wrong answer (well, unless you say 'Bose' :D ), its very dependent on what they need.

I've had to do a lot of research on remotes over the years as my wife's MS has progressed. I've probably owned 20 or more remotes over the last 10 years, from simple Radio Shack to high-end Prontos and other touch-screen remotes, and many in-between. The current evolution of control I'm using is via the PC-programmable Universal Remove MX-850, with two MRF-300's and an MRF-250 RF repeater/extender. But that's for about as complex a system as probably anyone's going to want (just click on my system link and you'll see why, though).

So tell us a little about what they want and/or need to do with the remote. Do you think they'd be intimidated by a high-tech, touch screen remote? Do they have a lot of devices that need to be controlled? Do the buttons have to be big and easy to press? Do you or them want to fully program the remote, or will 'stock' device settings work? If the former and you have to do the programming, are they close enough for you to fix problems or make changes as required? Are all of the devices located in one place, or will a IR/RF repeater be required? Do they want a small and simple remote, or a big touch-screen that's on a table next to the chair. And, of course, let's not forget how much is willing to be spent.

With all of that said, if you don't want any of the above hassles and just want something simple but relatively powerful, take a look at the Harmony remotes (which is now owned by Logitech). They might be just what you need and some are relatively inexpensive.

So tell us a little about what they want and/or need to do with the remote. Do you think they'd be intimidated by a high-tech, touch screen remote? Do they have a lot of devices that need to be controlled? Do the buttons have to be big and easy to press? Do you or them want to fully program the remote, or will 'stock' device settings work? If the former and you have to do the programming, are they close enough for you to fix problems or make changes as required? Are all of the devices located in one place, or will a IR/RF repeater be required? Do they want a small and simple remote, or a big touch-screen that's on a table next to the chair. And, of course, let's not forget how much is willing to be spent.

With all of that said, if you don't want any of the above hassles and just want something simple but relatively powerful, take a look at the Harmony remotes (which is now owned by Logitech). They might be just what you need and some are relatively inexpensive.
Hey Ken!

Something not too confusing for my parents. They get confused rather easily no matter how many times I instruct them that input means source/dvd/cable... I want to program this remote and give it to them and call it a day. I obviously can't go kilobuck remotes here.... but I suppose that you and Seth are recommending the Harmony remotes. I think I'll start my search there.

Joey :)

Logitech

Hi Joey,

Don't know if Harmony is the same company as Logitech. I think they are. Logitech also makes computer mouses.

Plug into your computer via the supplied cord, goto the database, list your components and all the codes are uploaded including some obvious macros.

Not totally fail safe as I was informed by a friend who bought one but will get you pretty close with minimal effort. Also is a "learning" remote if you need to go that route. If available, I'd get one with rechargeable batteries. Need to check on this feature.

Anyway, assuming you need only IR and not RF, these seem to be the best at a reasonable price. Approx. cost $150 to $175. May do better on the internet.

Gordon

PS: I have the Philips Pronto 3000 and love it. Very powerful IR blast and a touchscreen design with some "hard buttons". Also, via the computer, you can totally customize the device. Also does IR and RF, which works for me since I have my two channel gear in my living room (IR) and my home theater electronics in my office (RF).

Downsides

1) Pricey. $600 +/- with battery recharger and RF accessories.
2) A bit difficult to see in the daylight.

My parents come visit me in Seattle...they pick up the remote and do everything without asking. I think even my grandma can use the thing. I have the 880, but there are a few others that are similar that are nice as well.

BTW, does anyone know if you can program the Harmony remotes for my own use? Like can I use it to control the Cary, the Squeezebox, and my LCD?

Or are the Cary and Squeezebox too obscure of remote control products?

Wayne,

Which one did you have? Did you have the Harmony 1000?
I have the 628 which I bought a few years back for just $59
I use the MX3000 for my main system
BTW, does anyone know if you can program the Harmony remotes for my own use? Like can I use it to control the Cary, the Squeezebox, and my LCD?

Joey,
Their remote will work all 3, if I remember correctly your LCD was a Westinghouse. Logitech makes both the squeezebox and the harmony remotes

Joey -

FWIW: I use the 880 for everything I own audio-video related. The database contained codes for my ARC Ref 3 and my Esoteric DV50s. Those components worked properly right out of the box. (The Harmony box, that is.) The only small problem I had was with my Magnum Dynalab MD 106 tuner. The Harmony will turn it on and off, but I've had a problem with the station presets - otherwise, perfection. Also, no probs with cable box, Sony flat panel tv, Rotel prepro, etc.

Get an 890 and the database will have all your obscure components. It had my Pass Labs and Conrad Johnson.

So any of the Harmonies have the database to control anything I have as mentioned above or just the upper end Harmonies (i.e. 880 890 1000)?

I went to best buy today to play with the Harmony 1000.... man, what a waste. I don't understand why that store doesn't charge/take care of their gear. It wouldn't turn on and it was beat as heck.

Joey,
Same data base for all the harmonies.
Only differences is some are IR only, some are IR and RF.
The higher end remotes have more options, butons, larger screens ect.

Hey Ken!

Something not too confusing for my parents. They get confused rather easily no matter how many times I instruct them that input means source/dvd/cable... I want to program this remote and give it to them and call it a day. I obviously can't go kilobuck remotes here.... but I suppose that you and Seth are recommending the Harmony remotes. I think I'll start my search there.

Joey :)

Joey, its great that you are so generous with your parents and brother. However, I wouldn't buy my parents a universal remote. They are surely the least technically able people on the planet. Yes, its very easy for us to use... but if the components ever go out of "sync" (something is always off while an accompanying component is on, or vice versa) they could be at a loss. And these remotes do "forget" something or other at times, its wierd, I've spent too much programming these things.

I programmed another, an 880 IIRC, for a well known brain scientist who has his own building at UCI. His remote would go out of sync, and after having visited him a couple of times, I realized I had to write out detailed instructions on how to get all components and the remote back in sync. Oh sure, its extremely intuitive for any of us at this forum, but just wanted to point out that for a non-technophile as smart as a head brain scientist couldn't do it.

A couple of my non-tech friends also find that the singular mulitple remotes are easiest.

I don't want to burst your bubble, and I sure don't know your parents, but its something to consider in getting the best gift you can!

seeya Joey!

p.s. oh ya, the 880's battery's juice went out pretty quick. The station + remote interface needs to be joggled sometimes to get it to charge. Im sure the other owners here have much better experiences. I have a bottom of the line model, but the # buttons are super tiny, and the other buttons are too "clicky" (definitely my biggest complaint).

edit: Joey PM sent, I have advice I am seeking...

Last edited:
I have the 880 and when things go out of sync..just hit the help button. works most of the time. As long as you set up the remote for them (eliminate extra commands they dont need to be doing), they should be fine joey.

Well . . . thanks for this thread, Joey. You got me thinking about a universal remote for my dedicated room, and so I started looking at the Harmony website based upon all the great recommendations in this thread. Of course, I was checking out the Harmony 1000 since it was the coolest of the bunch. I showed it to my wife and asked her if she needed a gift idea for me for Christmas. Her response was: "You know you need it; you know you want it; just go ahead and order it for yourself right now." Have I mentioned how much I love my wife?

...Yes, its very easy for us to use, but if the components ever go out of "sync" (something is always off while an accompanying component is on, or vice versa) they could be at a loss. And these remotes do "forget" something or other at times, its wierd, I've spent too much programming these things...
Almost all of the devices now days have discrete IR codes for ON and OFF, so (aside from the Harmony remotes, which generally assumes a single ON/OFF code and tries to remember 'states') you can configure almost all programmable remotes so that moving from device to device or turning the system on or off is exact. (For example, when my wife gets confused which system is currently enabled, she just turns the system off and then on, and its always at the same 'place'.)

P.S. These discrete codes are almost never part of a device's 'shipped' remote, so you have to get them from elsewhere. I recommend searching the Remote Central website for them.

Last edited:
Back