Placement options – Impacts of location, orientation and treatments

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been my experience as well. I hear much deeper into the acoustical space that the songs were recorded in now that I don't have the excess ambiance generated by wall reflections.

My father-in-law heard my system for the first time the other day. As soon as he walked into the room he noticed the difference in acoustics. The rest of my house is very live sounding and when you walk into the listening room it is a noticeable change -- much more quiet. Then I turned on the system and he was blown away by the realism of Rebecca Pidgeon's voice singing "Spanish Harlem" on the Audiophile Voices SACD. That track is absolutely stunning when your acoustics are right.
Completely concur.

My house has Stucco interior walls and is quite reverberant (a mistake I won’t make on the next one, looks great, but is LOUD). When I walk into the theater now (which has drywall walls, but now treated) is like walking into this cocoon of silence. The room no longer has a strong ‘signature’. This in turn translates into the same effect Rich describes of just being transported into the music. And as Ethan notes, you hear the ambiance of the recording, not the room.
Listening to the same disc Rich mentions is a total revelation of amazing sonic performance.

It has also meant that the TriField soundfield my Meridian offers for 2Ch->multichannel is now substantially more pleasing than before, as it’s not fighting the room as hard.

Getting used to the absence of the extra reverberation in the soundfield is a two or three day affair, but it is substantially clearer in the end.

The loss of volume from the reduction in modal ringing seems like a loss at first (because we are very sensitive to volume differentials), but once you adjust the volume back up a bit, the clarity and balance is clearly much better.

Just finished hanging a pair of Corner TriTraps in the front of the room, as well as a pair of Mondo traps (corner version w/beveled edges) along the wall-ceiling junction.

The TriTraps are a pain to install. But once up look (and work) great.

The Mondos are big, and long, so hanging them from the ceiling is a two person job.

Basically due to my ten thumbs hand configuration, it took most of the day (Ok, I took a nap too ;) ).

The resulting look is good. You’ll see when I post pics in a week or so.

I’ve been listening to several discs this evening now that I have some more traps in the room, and all I can say is WOW.

I am very pleased with this investment!

But I’m also very annoyed at myself for waiting this long to do this.
Man, I’m hearing things in the recordings that were so obscured by the room effects that it’s a shame to have those past listening experiences be sub-optimal.

I’ll say this again: Treat the room before you do anything, and I mean anything else in your system.
Vista’s in well-treated room could sound better than Summits in an untreated room. I can almost guarantee that.

Vista’s in well-treated room could sound better than Summits in an untreated room. I can almost guarantee that.

Totally agree.

But I’m also very annoyed at myself for waiting this long to do this.

You are going to say the same thing about the video once you get around to upgrading that antique projector of yours. :D:devil::D

Totally agree.

You are going to say the same thing about the video once you get around to upgrading that antique projector of yours. :D:devil::D

Rich, you know it!

I've seen several RS1 now, and man, I can’t wait for an RS2. But I still dig the old three-eyed dinosaur, for now. Just watched an HD movie and it's still pretty clean and sharp. Black-levels are, well black :cool:

But the improvement in audio was my first priority. Trust me, I weighed $7k of treatments vs a $7K PJ pretty carefully, and decided audio was the priority.

I'm very glad I did, the audio fest is still on this evening :)

Rich, you know it!

I've seen several RS1 now, and man, I can’t wait for an RS2. But I still dig the old three-eyed dinosaur, for now. Just watched an HD movie and it's still pretty clean and sharp. Black-levels are, well black :cool:

Jon,

You said it! Black is real black. It's real hard for CRT lovers to switch to digital, at least for now. Even with my humble Sony D50 which can only accept 720p perfectly, I still see no reason to go digital as yet. I only wish I invested in a G90 like yours (if I'm not wrong) when I was presented with the fantastic offer I passed up 2 years ago. :mad:

Meantime, I am waiting rather impatiently for your pics so I can decide what to do with my bass problems.

Last edited:
Traps installed - Listening impressions

Finally finsihed the install this past weekend. Been to 'busy' enjoying it. So here are the listening impressions after a few days.

Much better ‘pace’ to the music, as the resonances in the room are under control. I can hear the subtleties of each note from each instrument, even in dense orchestrations.

Bass is so more ‘present’ yet not overpowering. Again, the reduction in room modes helps the better interpretation of each note as it was intended and not as the room would render it.

I’m constantly amazed at how much better it is than previously (which itself was so far ahead of the general pack, it was not funny). I need to get some fresh newbie’s in here to increase my sock collection ;)

Mid-bass is both clearer and more attenuated, the later due to the decrease in SPL as we kill the resonances in the room with the traps. But the rest of the sound is now clearly audible and resolves all the notes in their fullest.

The room sounds both bigger and more intimate than before. Bigger because the soundstage on some recordings is simply ginourmous, in both width and height. And more intimate because the sound is just ‘there’, each note resolves cleanly and perfectly, no overhang or ‘boom’ from the room. It feels like artist are just within reach.

Multichannel is now orders of magnitude more effective. I hear everyone rave about 2ch, but it must because you’ve not heard truly excellent multichannel (or flat refuse to have sound come from anywhere but the ‘front’). On this system each channel can either produce its part of an enveloping soundfield or resolve unique sounds from itself. This ability to do what the mastering engineer wants is what separates great multi-channels systems form just a bunch of speakers. But even when using top-notch stuff like ML’s, one must still pay attention to the context they reside in, and that means not only correct room dimensions, but correct treatments, accurate delay settings along with judicious use of room-correction EQ as well.

Put it all together, and the results are spectacular.

And this is before I retune the EQ’s again this week. I did turn off the sub EQ’s because they were so off after the treatments. I think I’m in for some pleasant surprises when I remeasure and redo EQ. It sounds much smoother than before already…

Finally finsihed the install this past weekend. Been to 'busy' enjoying it. .....…

Jon,

Congrats on a job well done! Your comments have really wetted my appetite.
I have been exchanging emails with Ethan on my needs while you've been busy. Perhaps you can favour us with a few pics of your room here ..........?

Much better ‘pace’ to the music, as the resonances in the room are under control. I can hear the subtleties of each note from each instrument, even in dense orchestrations.
It is really amazing to be able to hear new things in the music you have been listening to for years all due to better behaved room acoustics. In the past we all went out and purchase new equipment trying to get that extra little bit out. Now we can start to hear the real sound of our setups. Like myself and others who have wandered into the "room acoustics world", the ability to hear more and more detail in the music is one of the real benefits of room treatments.

You will also find you will start listening to music you have not listen to in years, digging out more and more good stuff.

Bass is so more ‘present’ yet not overpowering. Again, the reduction in room modes helps the better interpretation of each note as it was intended and not as the room would render it.
Isn't it great to be able to goose up the bass now and not have it overpower the music???

Multichannel is now orders of magnitude more effective. I hear everyone rave about 2ch, but it must because you’ve not heard truly excellent multichannel (or flat refuse to have sound come from anywhere but the ‘front’).
MCH music, when done correctly, is really some amazing stuff. MCH SACD is what turned me on to Classical music. While not the same as sitting in a great music hall listening to the symphony, it is so much better than 2ch listening - again for classical music. For "most" Jazz and other genre on SACD, I much prefer 2CH mode - but there is something about Classical in MCH......

Put it all together, and the results are spectacular.
Can we all have a "Hallelujah" for Room Treatments!!!:rocker:

And this is before I retune the EQ’s again this week. I did turn off the sub EQ’s because they were so off after the treatments. I think I’m in for some pleasant surprises when I remeasure and redo EQ. It sounds much smoother than before already…
My guess will be the EQ will not be as drastic as before, but will be interesting to hear about it.

Thanks again Jon for your post. Hopefully it helps bring more people over to the "Dark Side" to enjoy the benefits of room treatments and improved sound of their setups.

Dan

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted much, but I read most of the posts. Recently I e-mailed Roger Sanders about room treatment since I am trying to make some changes in my own home, and he sent back an excellent reply. Just thought I would post it here since it pertains to the subject of the thread. Enjoy!

Hi Mark,

I finally have a few spare minutes and will try to answer your questions regarding room treatment. This is a complex subject, but I will give you sound general guidelines that should help you.

There are really two acoustic issues with speakers (high and low frequencies), and each has to be addressed separately. Although your questions have mainly to do with how to handle the higher frequencies, let me address the lows quickly first since all speakers have the same issues with them.

Low frequencies contain a lot of energy that cannot be absorbed as can be done with high frequencies. All rooms have bass resonances that dramatically color the sound. So the object of room treatment for the bass is to minimize room resonances. In other words, the ideal is to have an infinite number of infinitely small resonances instead of just a few very large resonances.

Concert hall designers do this by making the room dimensions into 1/3 octave ratios, making opposing surfaces non-parallel, and by using large irregular objects ("diffusers") to break up the resonant modes. While it is possible to build such listening rooms in a home (I have done so), it is not practical for most home owners, not to mention renters. However, they work extremely well to produce smooth, non-resonant bass.

The best thing you can do in most rooms to minimize bass resonances is to avoid placing woofers in a corner and randomizing speaker placement. By randomizing speaker placement, I mean that your speakers should NOT be symmetrically placed in your room. If they are placed symmetrically, both speakers will produce the same room resonances, which doubles the amplitude of the resonances and greatly increases the problem. If the speakers are deliberately placed in a random (non-symmetrical) way, the each will produce different resonances at half the amplitude that symmetrical placement causes.

Most audiophiles use symmetrical placement, which is very unfortunate for the reasons listed above. To obtain the maximum amount of randomness, I place my speakers on adjacent walls rather than on the same wall. This means that they will straddle a corner and be placed diagonally in the room. Additionally, I am careful to be sure that they are different distances from the corner and from the wall to their rear.

Obviously, my placement is as randomized and radical as I can make it, and it doesn't fit well into the typical woman's idea of how furniture should be placed. In particular, the "sweet spot" is out in the room where it is best, but few women want chairs in the middle of their rooms. They usually want chairs against the wall, which is the worst listening location because it produces a short reflection directly behind the listener.

If you are limited by a woman's decorating ideas, then you may have to compromise from ideal speaker positioning. But at least you should be able to avoid symmetrical placement.

As an aside, sub-woofers are intended to be just that. They are designed to operate below 30 Hz -- usually far below 30 Hz where sound is only felt -- never heard. Sub-woofers are too massive to function will above 30 Hz. So I strongly encourage you to change your sub-woofer crossover frequency from 80 Hz to 24 Hz.

Also, remember that drivers do not simply stop operating at their crossover point. They contribute a significant amount of sound for at least a couple of octaves on either side of the crossover point. So you should use the steepest crossover slopes possible to minimize this problem.

In summary, a sub-woofer of good quality will have a crossover that offers 24 dB/octave slopes (or more) and when this is combined with a crossover point below 30 Hz, it should produce an excellent foundation for good earthquakes and train wrecks -- but it should not be involved in the production of music except for the deepest pedal tones of a pipe organ.

Now turning to your questions about high frequencies. I invented the curved electrostatic panel that Martin Logan is using. I designed it specifically to produce moderately-wide dispersion from a large panel speaker. So your speaker has wide dispersion, not narrow dispersion.

On the other hand, the dispersion of your speaker is more limited (about 30 degrees) than a typical dome speaker (about 140 degrees). By comparison, my flat panel speakers have essentially zero dispersion.

You might ask why I prefer zero dispersion speakers after inventing the wide dispersion ESL. Simply put, I prefer to hear the sound coming directly from my speaker rather than listening to all the bad room acoustics that are caused by spraying the high frequencies all over the room.

When most of the sound you hear is reflected off room surfaces, the sound waves are slightly delayed (because they cover more distance than the direct sound from the speaker). These delayed sounds ruin the magnificent transient response of an ESL.

They also ruin imaging as the accurate production of depth in an image requires accurate phase (timing) information. And the variously delayed reflections caused by the room confuse the phase totally. The delayed sounds also interact with the direct sound to cause non-linear frequency response. So I eliminate all these problems by using highly directional speakers.

With all this in mind, let's see what you should do to acoustically treat your room. In general, Your listening room should not be excessively "live." A gymnasium has awful acoustics. But it shouldn't be "dead" either. A library is a poor acoustic environment.

To this end, most rooms have a carpet, which absorbs a lot of energy in the midrange and highs and tames excessive "liveness." When this is combined with the typical amount of upholstered furniture and window draperies, you get a moderately live room that is a good start.

If your room is excessively live, then you need to analyze why. The usual cause of this is hardwood or tile floors instead of carpet. My current home is like this. I deal with it by putting one inch thick, "egg crate" foam pads on the ceiling. I have about 10 of these panels that are 4' x 4'and I have covered them with thin cloth to make them look attractive. You can make your own very inexpensively.

Two adjacent walls need to have some sound absorbing material on them. By adjacent walls, I'm talking about two walls at right angels to each other. This way you are actually damping the acoustics in each of the two floor dimensions.

Usually draperies work well. But if your room has none, then you need to hang something that will absorb sound on them. Decorative rugs work well and look great. In my dedicated sound room, I glued 1 foot square cork tiles on adjacent walls. Cork is available in 1/2" sheets at home improvement centers for reasonable prices.

As for the room treatment behind your speakers, putting foam directly behind the speakers has the advantage of eliminating a lot of the delayed room reflections that tend to distort the imaging and ruin transient response. However, the disadvantage of using such damping is that it reduces high frequency energy when you are listening out of the sweet spot.

So in general, if most of your listening is at the sweet spot, putting damping behind the speaker is a good idea. But if most of your listening is done casually, out of the sweet spot, you should leave the wall behind the speaker live so you get better highs off-axis.

Also keep in mind that the most critical aspect of the rear energy from a dipole has to do with how it interacts with the panel itself. If the energy from the rear bounces off the wall and back through the panel, it will really mess up the frequency response of the speaker. So you should toe-in the speaker so that the rear reflection bounces away from the speaker rather than coming back through the panel.

The most important place to have sound damping materials is where the direct, forward radiation of the speaker strikes a wall in such a way that that short reflection comes straight at you. In dome speakers, there will always be such a wall position because they have extremely wide dispersion. But in your ML speakers, this may not be a problem because the dispersion is more limited.

You can check this by imagining that your speakers are shooting balls out of their ESL perpendicular to the surface of the speaker. If such a ball would strike a surface or wall such that it would then bounce off and strike you at the sweet spot, then you need to put sound absorbing material on the wall at the point where the ball could hit.

Another option would be to rotate the speakers so that they shoot in a different direction. In any case, your speakers will sound best if they are toed-in and pointed directly at your sweet spot instead of being perpendicular to the wall and parallel with each other.

In closing, I know that I have given you a lot of information that is highly abbreviated and can be hard to understand. But perhaps I have given you some useful information too.

You can always do some testing to find out what works. For example, you could temporarily hang a heavy blanket behind your speakers and listen to see what effect it has. If it helps, you could then install some foam materials semi-permanently on the wall behind the speaker. If you liked the live sound better, then you would just leave things alone.

As for resources, there are many books on acoustics you can get. Naturally some are more readable and understandable than others. But experimenting with listening tests will get you a lot more useful information a lot faster.

Great listening,
-Roger

Great Post!

Thanks for sharing that, Mark. Roger always has some great knowledge to share.

In the past we all went out and purchase new equipment trying to get that extra little bit out. Now we can start to hear the real sound of our setups. Like myself and others who have wandered into the "room acoustics world", the ability to hear more and more detail in the music is one of the real benefits of room treatments.

Hopefully it helps bring more people over to the "Dark Side" to enjoy the benefits of room treatments and improved sound of their setups.
Dan

Dan, Again, How so very true !!

Jonathan, Your thread along with Tim's (Sunday morning music) are my two favorite 'go to' threads ! for it continues to help breathe new life and improved sound into our systems ! Thanks again !

Can we all have a "Hallelujah" for Room Treatments!!!:rocker:

My guess will be the EQ will not be as drastic as before, but will be interesting to hear about it.

Thanks again Jon for your post. Hopefully it helps bring more people over to the "Dark Side" to enjoy the benefits of room treatments and improved sound of their setups.

Dan

Dan thanks, and yes, EQ will be much reduced. Already eliminated one whole set on the center channel (the Pre EQ), still use a bit of EQ for each element (Panel & Line Array).

Hopefully more people realize this is one of the best investments in audio one can possibly do.

Dan, Again, How so very true !!

Jonathan, Your thread along with Tim's (Sunday morning music) are my two favorite 'go to' threads ! for it continues to help breathe new life and improved sound into our systems ! Thanks again !

Dave, glad you enjoy it. It's definitely been educational all around, as I sure learned a good bit doing this.

Last edited:
Treatment positioning

So everyone wants to know where I put all this stuff in the room. Well, here is the answer and some pics.

Again, this is a dedicated windowless room whose dimensions (25’9”x15’1”x11') were calculated to best suit the MartinLogans, letting me place both fronts and rears well out into the room without interfering with the listeners.

But, like all ‘small’ rooms, it has low-frequency modes that must be treated.

So here’s my selection of where to place the treatments.

Attachments

• HTRoom_AcousticTreatments.jpg
    HTRoom_AcousticTreatments.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Peel the paint off the walls

An interesting tidbit that confirmed that some of these were going in the correct locations was that once I computed the placement, I went and looked at the wall/ceiling or wall/floor junction and the paint / drywall mud would be cracked or peeling at those point. So the pressure build-up was causing the structure to resonate to the point it was causing the paint and drywall tape to separate.

So yeah!, my system can peel the paint off the walls :haha1:

But actually, that’s not such a good thing, as we’ve seen from the measurements of the ‘before’ state. :(

Pics - Front of room

Here are the pics of the (almost complete) install.

I say almost because the two side minitraps have yet to be mounted on the wall and are just leaning up against the wall for now.
I'm waiting to mount them until I finish the DIY side wall acoustic treatment / decor elements.

A note about these pics: This room is designed to suck the light out, so taking pics of Black traps on a black ceiling or against 18% grey walls is a bear. I did tweak the pics so the traps were visible, but forget about good pics until I get some professional photography lamps and a good photographer in here.

So here is the right front corner showing the corner TriTrap

Attachments

• FrontCorner.JPG
    FrontCorner.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
Right Wall Top

This is the corner Mondo trap mounted above the valance against the wall / ceiling boundary. There are four of these in the room.

You can see a bit of the Mirage OmniSat FX side channel speaker in this shot.

Attachments

• RightWallTop.JPG
    RightWallTop.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 478
Right Rear Corner

In this shot we can see the other corner Mondo trap at the ceiling, the TriTrap at the ceiling corner and below it, the two stacked 4' Mondo traps that stradle the rear corner.

The 4' is a bit thicker (6") than a normal Mondo, and therefore a bit more effective down low.

Also, you see the RealTrap Diffuser on the wall behind the Sequel.

Attachments

• RightRearCorner.JPG
    RightRearCorner.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 495
A close up of the right rear corner elements, with a better view of the Diffuser trap.

Attachments

• RightRearCloseUp.JPG
    RightRearCloseUp.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 487
Rear wall

And a shot of the rear wall, where you see the corner elements (barely) and the RPG Skyline diffuser on the center rear wall. Not visible is the RPG bass trap on the floor below it.

Had to totally crank the settings to make the elements visible.

The good news is that in-person, the treatments do not stand out.

Attachments

• RearWall.JPG
    RearWall.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 672
Back