System #226 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPS

Reaction score
Member Name: Markku Salonen

ML Model(s): Odyssey

Year Purchased: 2005

Mods/Changes: none (yet)

Associated Electronics:

Front end:
Sony SCD-555ES ( CD/SACD-player )
Oracle Alexandria MkIV + SME IV fd + Benz Micro ACE ( LP-player )
Cambridge Audio Azur 640T ( tuner )
Amps:
Lehmann Black Cube ( RIAA )
Audio Research LS15 ( preamp )
Nakamichi PA-7 ( poweramp HF)
Crown XTi 1000 ( poweramp LF)
Output devices:
STAX SR-303 (Classic) + SRM-313 ( earspeakers )
ML Odyssey ( speakers )
Cables:
Nordost Red Dawn (CD + panel)
Nordost Blue Heaven (LF-drivers)
Audioquest Emerald (tuner + stax)
Audioquest Lapis (Naka + RIAA)
Supra XLR (Crown)
Supra LoRad (power)
DIY (power)
Siltech Octopus (powerstrip)

Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

Hello everyone! I have been registered here for quite some time now so it seem to be time to share my experience with fellow users.
Eversince I heard MLs (CLS) for the first time in some hifi-show I have had this feeling that I've to get some of that magic sound for me.:music:
Startig back from 80s I have owned speakers like B&W, Genelec and for years and years I had Magnepans. When ML discontinues their
previous line there was a chance to get Ascents or Odysseys for a more resonable price than before in European market. Well I went for
a pair of Odysseys and there is no looking back!
Concrete apartments like this are an "acoustic challenge". I'm using Crown's DSP to tame some nasty resonance in 30Hz region and have
also done other minor treatment in my room. I'm mostly pleased with current setup.

Latest update: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?5430-System-226-(Odyssey)&p=149268&viewfull=1#post149268

Attachments

• IMG_3513_room.jpg
    IMG_3513_room.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 5,078
Last edited by a moderator:
System components

A more detail photo of my electronics.

Attachments

• IMG_3525.jpg
    IMG_3525.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 5,073
Markku, Welcome ! Nice set-up, analog and some classic 'stassis' power to boot !

Hi Markku, nice setup. I especially like the statues behind the speakers holding those lamps, that must look cool with just those on.
Acoustically, how do you like the sound with and without the statues behind the speakers? Does the extra diffusion help in your setup?

Hi and thanks for your comments.
The statues are not directly behind the speakers, they are more to the corners. Windows have double curtains, one of which is heavy. You can also see DIY acoustic panel on the side back wall. I felt that reflective sound was getting overdamped and dull so the statues are used to restore some diffused back reflection. Their overall impact on sound is still a minor tweak.

Markku, very nice setup you have there! What is the distance between the Odyssey's and the sitting area and between the Odyssey's? I also have the Odyssey's which I picked up this year and I very much enjoy the sonic performance from them. :music:

Nice, it looks cousy (did I spell it right?).

Maybe the sound would live a little if the diffusion was behind and aside the speakers and absorption in the middle (I see diffusors at the bottom middle?). Your principle is more welcomed by classic dynamic speaker design, live end dead end principle mosty professionaly used in studios. Even with this short time spent with my MLs, I tried sponge for absorption and moved it across the walls. They don't like it, they like diffusion ;)

Nasty frequency 30Hz. Bass traps have to be huge to capture that one right. I hope the 'muscle' amp is controling those lows.

Definitely one of a kind - cozy too!

I like the statues and I notice that you're also into headphone with them Staxxes. Good stuff!

:welcome:!

50% of the wall behind the speakers is a triple glass window with wooden blinds. So there is a lot of reflection of sound and some diffusion by blinds. Without added absorbtion the room has way too much "echo" and revebvation time for sound would be way too long for a listening environment. Closeness of the walls requires some damping to be placed behind the speakers. I haven't done any measurements, everything is done by trial and error. Just trusting my ears and judgement.

Rampage60 - You asked for distances:
Speakers are 180 cm apart, 120 cm from back wall and 280 cm from seat
all measured from centre of panel.
Room size: (L*W*H) 5,5m*3,4m*2,6m

As for acoustic problems the only really good solution is acoustic treatment, well I chose to take a shortcut for LF and go for DSP. I still do have some ideas...

I have noticed that many members are using Nordost cables in their system and some are using cable lifters. Here’s my trick to combine those two. This way you can run Flatline speaker cables and keep them off the floor.
Take a piece of plastic (PVC) tubing and cut a slot(s) with sharp knife. It’s so easy and inexpensive. The top piece of tubing is used to create a better hold just in case housekeeping is messing with my cables.

Attachments

• IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 5,247
I have noticed that many members are using Nordost cables in their system and some are using cable lifters. Here’s my trick to combine those two. This way you can run Flatline speaker cables and keep them off the floor.
Take a piece of plastic (PVC) tubing and cut a slot(s) with sharp knife. It’s so easy and inexpensive. The top piece of tubing is used to create a better hold just in case housekeeping is messing with my cables.

Very Cool! :rocker:

Nice system - welcome!

Damn, I love ARC gear!.......and the Stax 'phones aren't half bad either!!

Last edited:
Hi Markku!
Finland is one of my favorite places. ;)
My dear fellow scandinavian. ;)

Those speakers.. i love them.
Nice touch with those statuets.

Overall an hi-class system.

Enjoy the music.

:music::music::music:

Cheers,

Ove.

Enjoy the music. [/QUOTE said:
While I know there is nothing in my system that couldn't be better, I still don't feel the _need_ to change anything. I quess I got something right. :D

Enjoy the music.

While I know there is nothing in my system that couldn't be better, I still don't feel the _need_ to change anything. I quess I got something right. :D

He he, it ain't for sale. Sry m8.
Well get back to me after I have a chance to hear CLX, might be a time when I'll be selling all that I can for some cash...
Seroiusly, this amp hasn't stopped surprising me. I knew it was good when I bought it second hand but I never knew how good it really is. It seems to grow with the system. It's very 'transparent' just like a poweramp should IMHO be.There are those who prefer this to those sold under Treshold (Pass Labs design) brand.

Last edited:
Just to share my joyment, here's the latest piece of equipment in my rack. Kinda makes me wish I had gone for V arm back in the days..

Attachments

• new old player.JPG
    new old player.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,092

Latest posts

Back