New arrival: the Cary SLP-05 preamp/headamp!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Alright folks, I got a few hours with my new toy and I must say that it is very very good. I am totally enjoying it and it improves on several deficiencies that I felt my then-current system had. Without further adieu, here are the pics! I know we're all pic whores (I know I am), I made a took a whole slew of pics from beginning to end.

Sit back and enjoy!

Setting up the Cary SLP-05 preamp/headamp:
Two boxes... interesting! This must be some serious component!!
DSC01795.jpg

One box somewhat opened.. oooh.. double boxed!
DSC01797.jpg

Nice.... drooling....
DSC01802.jpg

The entire shabang! Loot R Us!
DSC01805.jpg

The preamplifier itself... without tubes!
DSC01809.jpg

The power supply itself... sweet piano black!
DSC01807.jpg

The backs of both the preamp/headamp and the power supply...
DSC01821.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01824.jpg

Power supply front... notice the gauges which actually measure plate voltage and current!
DSC01814.jpg

Me fiddling with the power supply's cool knob...
DSC01815.jpg

The preamp/headamp and it's TUBES!
DSC01836.jpg

A mug shot of one of the 6sn7 tubes.... nice!
DSC01833.jpg

Me figuring out where to put the paired tubes into the preamp/headamp.... which one is for the balanced positive phase gain buffer again!?!?
DSC01837.jpg

The DAMAGE!!! Mwahahaha!!!
DSC01841.jpg

Good god you're sexy.... let me rub my white gloves on you....
DSC01839.jpg

The OLD GUY... the Cary SLP-98 preamp...
DSC01842.jpg

Clean the shelf... yes.. I'm a freak. But you can't put a new component on a dusty shelf. C'mon now... where are your manners?!
DSC01848.jpg

Alright, setting up the Power Supply... that's the umbilical cord I'm holding...
DSC01850.jpg

Alright... the Cary 05 Preamp/Headamp on top...
DSC01853.jpg

Oooh.. the headamp switch!
DSC01863.jpg

Close up of the front of the Cary 05...
DSC01862.jpg

The headamp section. You see those 2 tubes directly on top of it? Those are for the headphone amplification only! The rest of the 6 tubes are for the input stage and the output stages... which if I switch the headphone switch "on" - the headphone gets a signal that has gone through the entire 8 tubes of the preamp. This is one hardcore headamp.... and SMART, too! It uses the balanced topology of the preamp + the 2 final tubes instead of having to create an entire headphone amp starting from scratch!
DSC01864.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

Connecting the inputs and the stuff in the back...
DSC01872-1.jpg

TURN IT ON! Power supply first... watch the meters power up after 30 seconds....
DSC01869.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

After the meters max out, the ready light goes on RED and signals that the tubes are ready to go.... 90 seconds...
DSC01870.jpg

More pics... she's a beaut ain't she?
DSC01867.jpg

Gotta have my two trinkets that my lovely gf gave me... I think it opens up the soundstage. Not! Ah well... it makes it look more approachable anyway.
DSC01881.jpg

The rack... notice how small the former preamp (right below it) seems now. Good bye, Cary 98!
DSC01877.jpg

The system so far...
You can see one of the Summits and the entire rack (the Cary 98 remains for a few weeks while I listen to it and compare to the new Cary 05... then it goes for sale).
DSC01880.jpg

Extras:
My tube stash...
DSC01875.jpg

The old vs new remote.... I got used to the old one though... :(.
DSC01883.jpg

Impressions:
Better imaging and a lot more control over the various instruments/vocals. What I noticed first and foremost was that this is very transparent, natural-sounding, and musical.... moreso than even my prior preamp (in direct A/B comparison). On top of that, the fact that when I turn up my system - the imaging remains coherent and solidly focused is a BIG improvement!! With my old preamp 98, once I turned up the volume knob to about 80-90db, I'd begin to lose coherence and the image of the singer would begin to ENLARGE! Not realistic and I thought it was the fault of the panels (again, I mistakenly blamed the Summits)... but this 05 preamp has some control over the signal (and in single ended, mind you!) where it maintains coherence even when the going gets tough and a lot of instruments occupy the stage. One thing I noticed with the 98 was a "muddling" whenever things got very hairy in the recording, and was one reason why I preferred solo instruments over complex pieces.

I'm glad the 05 improved on the overall coherence of my system... it's beginning to sound real good now. I can turn it up and the image remains relatively normal-sized.. while allowing a more realistic reproduction of the ambiance of the recording studio/hall! It's impressive how wide my soundstage is.... you guys have to come over and hear it for yourself.

I know I've heard better, but this is getting to be really scary good. I'll write a full report once I have time. For now, it's time to enjoy the music.

Improvement for the future...
1. I think I can hear a bit of high-frequency artifacts at times.... I think this is because I lack room treatments. Once I finish my home-made DIY treatments, I'm going to take pics once I get them up.

2. I need balanced xlr interconnects to truly run my system in balanced mode from the PS Audio III DAC -> Cary 05 preamp -> Plinius 102 amp! I'm going to ask it for Christmas. I'm looking forward to another increment of improvement in sound. :)

3. I think I could use a better source, but I'm going to slow down for a few months until I find one that can replace my fully-balanced PS Audio III. Perhaps another Cary unit?

4. I have a lot of 6sn7 tubes in my possession so it would only make sense to tube-roll my preamp. I'll do this after I get back to my apartment this weekend.... Sunday night. Something to look forward to! :D

5. I need some headphones now.... I think I'm going to ask for a Sennheiser HD-650 from Melissa for Christmas. I had those same headphone before, but I sold them to buy the Vantages. Gotta get them back in here. ;)

Joey

Last edited:
Last pic... I think I've drowned the servers for today.

Melissa took this quick pic as I was setting up the 05. I'm pretty stoked! What a nice reward for finishing up my Step 2 licensing exams!
DSC01855.jpg

Joey

Thanks Bob and Cher.... it's a nice preamp! Got home late because I couldn't stop listening to 'em. I got to roll tubes this upcoming week and try out the headphone section. This is definitely a good preamp deal because not only does it improve on everything the 98 did for my system, but it gives me a headphone section also.

2 birds with one shiny stone.

Joey

PS
BTW, Cher, I owe you everything tubed in my system. You're the reason for this... I just wanted you to know that.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new purchase, Joey. A wise upgrade to your system. Great write-up on the improvements, too. I agree that going to balanced cabling and upgrading your source down the road are the best next steps to take on your audio journey. The high frequency issues you are having could be source-related. But the room treatments may help tremendously with that too.

However, I would caution you to be patient with the tube rolling. Let the system burn in and the sound of it settle in to your ears first. It's a new preamp. Get used to it as it is now. Then you will really be able to hear the differences other tubes will make a lot easier. Most of all -- Have fun with it.

When I get some time soon, I will post a write-up of my experiences comparing Roger Sanders' solid state preamp with my new ARC Ref 3, and I guess I'll have to post a few pics for you audiowhores.

Very nice, Joey.

BTW "head-amp" is the term usually used for a pre-preamp (if needed) for a moving-coil cartridge; it is not used to mean a headphone amplifier.

Congratulations on your new purchase, Joey. A wise upgrade to your system. Great write-up on the improvements, too. I agree that going to balanced cabling and upgrading your source down the road are the best next steps to take on your audio journey. The high frequency issues you are having could be source-related. But the room treatments may help tremendously with that too.

However, I would caution you to be patient with the tube rolling. Let the system burn in and the sound of it settle in to your ears first. It's a new preamp. Get used to it as it is now. Then you will really be able to hear the differences other tubes will make a lot easier. Most of all -- Have fun with it.

When I get some time soon, I will post a write-up of my experiences comparing Roger Sanders' solid state preamp with my new ARC Ref 3, and I guess I'll have to post a few pics for you audiowhores.

Thanks much, Rich! I agree with your assessments up top. With regards to tube rolling, I was just going to use the same tubes I had in my SLP-98. They should work, but now that you mention it, maybe I shouldn't be too hasty. Besides, with the stock EH 6sn7 tubes, the SLP-05 is one sweet sweet singer!

And yes... we're all audiowhores who would love to see pics of your RS preamp and the mighty, vaunted ARC 3. Maybe if I had a local ARC dealer, I would be also sucked into the ARC pre's that you, Dave, and numerous others seem to love on this site.

Very nice, Joey.

BTW "head-amp" is the term usually used for a pre-preamp (if needed) for a moving-coil cartridge; it is not used to mean a headphone amplifier.

Bernard,

Thanks! And thanks for alerting me about the pre-preamp... I guess on headfi.org, the people there refer to headphone amps as headamps and there is a headphone amp maker whose name is http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/index.htm.

But, thanks for that bit of info... I learn something new everyday! :)

Congrats Joey ! You have yourself a 'keeper' there for sure !

I agree with Rich, give the pre as well as your own "auditory sensors" some time to adjust before you start tube rolling. Keep in mind that with your DIY room treatment project you would be best served with integrating them first and then play around with the tubes after.

Very nice Joey! A truely reference preamp! Now get a really good source. Esoteric is calling your name!

Bernard,

Thanks! And thanks for alerting me about the pre-preamp... I guess on headfi.org, the people there refer to headphone amps as headamps and there is a headphone amp maker whose name is http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/index.htm.

But, thanks for that bit of info... I learn something new everyday! :)
Joey, thanks for the info - something I learned too. I was unaware that the term "head amp" had been extended to encompass headphone amplifiers as well. I do not keep track of headphone developments as I tend to be phobic about headphones - I have always had a concern that something will go wrong and my ears will get blasted. I once actually bought the X-Cans head amp, then sold it a few weeks later....somewhat like what some guys do with turntables :D

Very nice Joey.
One can only imagine how your system will evolve after you get out of school and get a job and have some steady cash flow.:D

Back