Martin logans and high frequencies (15K-20K)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
I have been comparing speakers for a looooooong time. I keep coming back to the MLs,the seductive and just plain real sounding midrange gets you everytime.

I almost ready to pull the trigger except for one thing.........maybe two things

1. The highs,its a known fact that MLs goes down into the 1 or 2 ohm range to around 18K or higher. I am a big fan of highs,not bright speakers,but clean detailed natural highs. Every demo I have heard the ML seems a little rolled off,the highs do not flow like a dome tweeter. I am guessing its because the various demo amps did not want to delve down into the 1 ohm category. I guess digital amps are the only answer.

2. I have lurking here for some time,and I got to say some of you owners scare me talking about the maintenance of these speakers. I am not washing my panels in my shower...........nope...nada......not going happen. The audio store told me a monthly vacuuming is all that is needed, but I get the feeling some owners here do more than that.........is it out of necessity or tweaking?

One last point, my new house will have a 18ft by 20 ft living room with 10ft high ceilings. Vantage or Summits?..............for some reason I like the looks of the Vantages more than the Summits,yet I know and have heard the audio improvements of the Summits.

longhorn,

First of all welcome.

Washing the panels is not a big issue and in reality it is one of those thing which may or may not be done. It is optional. It is not an absolute and the people who have done it are either ones who have had their speakers for 15+ years or someone who bought them used and they were really dirty from no care at all, i.e. vacuuming or an environment with smoking or a lot of dirt and want to clean them before investing in new panels. (not that expensive either)

As far as the highs, you need to look at the fact of how much information is really out there at 17k and above. In reality not much. Yes some of the older models will dip to ~1 ohm but again that is typically only a peak. It is depending on your music too. As far as amps you will get tons of advice and I am sure have seen many suggestions. It depends on budget, placement of the amp, the type you are looking and which ML. The highs I have never a problem with. I think this is dependent on the quality of the amp, current-wise not watts.

The newer models like the Vantage and the Summit are not that hard to drive. The new models are easier on an amp too in regards to large swings in ohms. If that is what you are looking for I would think a good quality amp from a reputable company would work.

From the specs of your room, I would say Summits then Vantage. It depends on your budget, likes, etc.

I hope this helps clear the air on some stuff.

Jeff:cool:

Ditto to what Jeff said, and as fars as vacuuming more than once a month....... anybody that does that has serious enviromental issues in their listening room !

I agree with Jeff , Amplifier and upstream equipment have a big effect on how the Logan's sound. Believe it or not, IC and cabling do too. I am not into $3000.00 IC or cabling but it can change a system.(sometimes for the better ,.sometimes for the worse) Audio stores like to set up what they sell , Its not always the best match for the Logan's. I have heard them through Rat Shack cables and world class cables and depending on your upstream equipment, it may not make any difference. As Roberto says "Listen to your ears" ;)

As the Vacuuming , I just let my kids clean the panels with milk and candy ............, A gum drop goes a long way for dampening too. :guitarman:

Two magazine reports that I've read lately give a moderate "thumbs down" to digital amps in any system in which they've been used. Some contributors to this board report otherwise. I don't think any well-designed amp will measure poorly on MLs. Trust your own judgement and use what sounds best to you. I use ARC tubes all around and I think they sound great on my Summits.

..Every demo I have heard the ML seems a little rolled off,the highs do not flow like a dome tweeter. I am guessing its because the various demo amps did not want to delve down into the 1 ohm category.

If the amps couldn't deliver enough amperes, then you are guessing right.
Also distance from the back wall makes a big difference with MLs, as well as tilt. Too many reflections from the back and you get bright highs.
The MLs you auditioned: were they carefully placed? Probably not;)
I guess digital amps are the only answer.
Guess again:D
Just about any well-made amp (able to deliver high-current at low-ohm loads) will be fine.

...The audio store told me a monthly vacuuming is all that is needed, but I get the feeling some owners here do more than that.........is it out of necessity or tweaking?..
Maybe these owners live in particularly dusty areas and have the older models that didn't power off when idle.
If the panels are energised 24hrs/day they will attract lots of dust. Vantage or Summits won't.

Go on, live the dream:D

My $.02 worth. I own 3 set of speakers. Maggy 1.4QR, Energy Veritas 1.8, and ML Aeriusi.

I owned the Energy's for along time and up until I got the ML's I never found anything under $7k that sounded as good. Detailed highs from the dome tweeter, and very natural mids from it's 3" dome midrange. A fantastic speaker all around and not very easy to find any more.
The ML's are powered with a Meridian 557 amp, driven by a Sonic Frontiers tube preamp. These speakers have a very natural and open midrange and the highs are even more detailed and life-like than the Energy's. Cymbals have never sounded so real.
I never really clean them and they honestly haven't been much of a challenge to position either like my Maggy's.
Should I find a good deal on some larger ML's, I'll grab them without a moments thought....they're just that good in my opinion.

Last edited:
There is very little energy in the very top of the upper octaves so I really doubt that is the issue. For me I think that the typical dome tweeter simply tends to emphasize the 12 to 15 kHz range a touch, adding the sparkle that is missing from most planar type speakers.

IMO digital amps are never the answer!

Back