Aerius esl panel dead?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JariV

Reaction score
I got finally a pair of Aerius speakers to test. Oh jes, they are beautiful indeed. But... I it sound like lots of higher frequencies seems to be missing from other speaker. Bass is working ok. Diffrence to other speaker is huge. I know that these speakers are old and they haven´t been used much for few past years. I also tried disconnect bass and other speaker. Esl panel seems play quite well all frequencies, but signifigantly lower volume than other esl panel. Something is wrong. What can it be? Should I try vacuum clean the panels first?

I got finally a pair of Aerius speakers to test. Oh jes, they are beautiful indeed. But... I it sound like lots of higher frequencies seems to be missing from other speaker. Bass is working ok. Diffrence to other speaker is huge. I know that these speakers are old and they haven´t been used much for few past years. I also tried disconnect bass and other speaker. Esl panel seems play quite well all frequencies, but signifigantly lower volume than other esl panel. Something is wrong. What can it be? Should I try vacuum clean the panels first?

Yes, definitely try vacuuming (very well), but it sounds like you might have a charging / HV issue.

Try emailing Martin Logan...they can help you out for sure :D

Try cleaning the panels as best you can. If the vacuum doesn't work, you could try washing them too.

Did you have these speakers shipped to you? If so, it's possible that a wire or something, came loose during shipping. I would contact ML on the phone and do some troubleshooting.

Ordering panels is no big deal.

HI! Thanks for advice. I tried vacuum cleaning with not any noticeable help. I listend them with care and I noticed that there is something wrong with same speakers woofer too. There´s a little rattling and distorsion like sound. I´m afraid this is going to larger project. Great...! I sent e-mail to ML. Hope to get reply soon.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely try vacuuming (very well), but it sounds like you might have a charging / HV issue.

I called local dealer´s service and they also think that problem is in charging. And it´s not very expensive to fix. There is hope after all... :rolleyes: Thanks amey01 and others!

But I´m afraid woofers need to be replaced with new ones. Other woofer is not acting normally. I´m waiting reply from ML customer service about Aerius woofers availability.
Could woofers be replaced with some other manufacturers woofers? Naturally with matching cone size and parametres etc. Have anyone of you tried this?

Last edited:
I called local dealer´s service and they also think that problem is in charging. And it´s not very expensive to fix. There is hope after all... :rolleyes: Thanks amey01 and others!

But I´m afraid woofers need to be replaced with new ones. Other woofer is not acting normally. I´m waiting reply from ML customer service about Aerius woofers availability.
Could woofers be replaced with some other manufacturers woofers? Naturally with matching cone size and parametres etc. Have anyone of you tried this?

If they were shipped, it is indeed quite likely one of the connections between the ESL stepup voltage board and the panel has come loose.

Search on this site for threads on ESL panel replacement, several talk about the need to double check the wiring on the panel itself. Sometimes the soldered leads come loose, especially after intercontinental shipping.

As for woofer replacements, yes it is possible. I’ve done it to my Monoliths, and an Aerius shouldn’t be too hard.

Since you live in Finland, you should have easy access to some nice European brands of raw speakers, many of which are very well regarded.

You should ask the factory for the ThielSmall parameters of the woofer in the Aerius.

You can then lookup matching drivers in this handy database: http://www.thielesmall.com/

If the T/S parameters match closely enough, this Danish Audio Technologies FlexUnit 8" driver would be a nice selection.

Their larger drivers (10 and 12's) are very highly regarded in the DIY community.

One caution though, they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

If the T/S parameters match closely enough, this Danish Audio Technologies FlexUnit 8" driver would be a nice selection.

Their larger drivers (10 and 12's) are very highly regarded in the DIY community.

One caution though, they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Quality costs, naturally. I have to check that D.A.T speaker out too. That speaker looks amazing. There´s a lot of manufactures aroud here in northern Europe. Ones I especially like are Norvegian Seas with Exel series loudspeakers. Very good sound, but there are quite expensive too. And I belive woofers has developed a lot since my Logans were made. So for example Exel woofer could be a great compliment for esl panel.
Thank you JonFo for kind advice, I have to check the wiring before I take them to service.
BTW: Talking about DIY... Check this guys homepage!!!!
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

And JonFo, your system is absolutely awesome.:bowdown:

Last edited:
Aerius R.I.P.

I got my Aerius speaker back from service. There was no problem with electronics, but esl panel is dead and woofer needs to be replaced. Ok!
I asked Local dealer what those parts cost here in Finland. Esl panel is 750€ for each panel and woofers 180€ each. So, for best result I need to change those for both speakers. That makes totally 1860€ ( 2604 us dollars ) Even how much I love these Logans it is way too much. It`s insane to pay that much for spare parts when new models start from 2995€ (Source). Or is it?

Last edited:
Yes Jariv...that's way too expensive, I bought my Aerius' second hand for 1500 Euros with new membranes. Look around for another pair maybe.

Back