New Martin Logan owner... what to buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have Monitor Audio Gold signature speakers for front, center and surrounds (they work wonderfully with the Denon).
I'll only replace the fron and center with Vantages and Motif.
Later, I'll look at what to do with the surrounds, but for the moment, I'll keep both the Denon receiver as amp and the Monitor Audios as surround.

maybe christmas will bring a power amp and ML surround speakers :)

Rodrigo

Last edited:
It's the maple VANTAGES for me

I decided.... I'm going with the maple Vantages, and Motif center !!!

Now I have to find them... the cherry and black are standard, but maple are order only, so it'll take a few weeks to get them in. Maybe I can find some dealer that has them in stock.

UPDATE: 6 weeks wait for my maple Vantages :(((( Need to find some... NOW

Last edited:
What would you recommend for surrounds??

Well, in my opinion, the surround speakers are not all that important for HT. It maybe more important if you were planning to play SACD. For HT, you just need something that is close enough to your front 3 main speakers. This is where you can save a lot of money. For me, I went with ML Vignettes (or Fresco i if you want a bit better, but probably not worth the extra cost). I needed something that can keep up with the front speakers (ATF = almost like ESL) while also being inexpensive and easy to drive with my Denon AVR. Remember, in HT setup, the surround speakers are mostly for secondary sounds (aka ambience) of gun shots and jets flying by...very little voice goes thru the surrounds. I would not spend much money on surrounds. I would rather put that money saved into a good subwoofer (Depth i or Descent i) that can keep up with your Vantages.

Or with the money saved on surrounds, you can upgrade your center speaker to STAGE if you already have a good subwoofer. I don't know enough about the Mortif to say whether the STAGE is that much better or worth the extra cost. But, keep in mind that for HT purposes, the center speaker is the MOST important speaker. When i got my system, i initially went with Cinema i (previous version of Mortif). However, after reading more about HT, i upgraded to STAGE and have never looked back! :rocker:

Good luck.

Maybe later I'll go with the source as surround... :)

Well, IF you were to go this route, then i would go with the Purity because the self-amplified Purity would be a lot easier on your Denon than the non-amplified Source.

Isn't the problem really the panel and not the woofer? Someone here with summits got a big improvement when he switched to five or six hundred watt monos, I forget which. Same deal thought it was fine until he heard them with more powerful amps.

Greg, I tried a Mark Levinson No 432 (400 watts into 8 ohms and 800 watts into 4 ohms) and apart from certain quality control issues, I was blown away with the apparent bottomless pit of power and dynamics. But after extended listening, I realised that the 432 was not a particularly good match in my system. The reasons include the inability of the 432 to sound really good at lower (read 'sane') listening levels, a tendency towards a dry and brittle sound in the bass, a somewhat poor soundstage, and for the money, average build quality.

So after some more auditioning I bit the bullet and purchased Pass Labs X150.5. This amplifier is rated at 300 watts into 4 ohms and operates in Class A at normal listening levels - switching to Class A/B at higher spls. I cannot believe how good this little beast is when driving the Summits. The Summits definitely do not require many more watts than I am feeding them. Frankly the Pass Labs amplifier seems to drive the Summits every bit as loud as the Mark Levinson, with better control - especially in the lower bass region.

Now this is not to say the Mark Levinson is not a good match with say, Odysseys or Prodigys. Roberto does make a very good point; earlier Martin Logan designs don't have an active bass module and are not as sensitive. It also doesn't mean other very powerful amplifiers aren't a good match with sensitive speakers - I guess it has something to do with how they are designed and what they are intended to drive. Some very powerful amplifiers are quite capable of outputting that 'magical first watt' without any problems at all.

Getting on to the Vantages, I have driven these little marvels with a 50 watt per channel integrated amplifier which wasn't even rated by the manufacturer into anything lower than 4 ohms (an Audio Electronique IN50). So a Denon 3805 shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. In saying that, the benefits of inserting a very high quality (not necessarily a more powerful) amplifier into a system with the Vantages or Summits will take the listener onto an entirely different plane of music appreciation.

I must say though, that in many cases, a listener may not get that dramatic improvement in sound you would expect from spending many thousands of dollars. :eek: In fact the initial impressions may be one of disappointment. The patient listener however should be rewarded with an opening of the soundstage, more dynamics, much more detail (you hear things on records you hadn't heard before), and a smoothness to the sound that makes you want to listen for hours on end. It's when you switch back to your old amplifier that the most dramatic improvements should become apparent. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself... :music:

I auditioned the aeon i's that I purchased with a Cambridge amp and a krell CD player. I know this may sound questionable, but i though they sounded better at home with my Yahama receiver and sony dvd player. Maybe it was just the fact that seeing them in my home made them sound so good.

Being overly protective, I contacted ML to ask if my much more powerful Carver is safe to drive the speakers. They told me that the speakers were seriously underpowered with the Yahama at 85 watts @ 8 ohms. Yet, they sounded fine, but the Carver did bring them to new heights. I am thinking your Denon with 130 WPC (8 ohms?) will sound real nice.

May I suggest to bring the receiver to the show room to test them, or make sure you can return the speakers if you choose not to keep them.

Edwinr,

In addition to quality and quantity(the only debatable thing is the quantity department) there is synergy.
I think we can all agree they system synergy is crucial. I've never heard Mark levinson stuff so have
no idea how I would like them with the Logans.
For me both low level and high level quality sound is important, so I look for an amp that can accomplish both.
The three amps I've tried on my Logans all were good on different levels. The Rotel RB980 even though is was
an older amp, once it was turned up a little the sound stage became cluttered. The Monarchy Audio did not
have that problem, it was better at low and higher levels, but had trouble on the days I wanted to play a little
loud. I tried the classe ca-201 and it played with more authority at high levels, but I didn't like the way the
mids sound, I understand that could have been anything.
I just purchased a Krell KAV 2250. I remember liking the sound of the Krell Vantage combo. That was the combo
the lead me to purchase the Aeon I. Even though I don't have my Cambridge 740 at the moment, I like what I'm hearing so far.

But as you said you've got to hear for yourself:music:

using power amp with Denon pre-amp

So...

What I'm thinking now is that I could use my Denon as the pre-amp, run the center, sub and surrounds directly from the Denon 3808 AVR, and connect the pre-out from the Denon for the mains (FR&FL) to a power amp, and plug the Vantages into the power amp.

This way, I'd get all Denon AVR features, video switching, etc..., and get better sound on the Vantages from the power amp.

Does that approach sound reasonable?

So...

What I'm thinking now is that I could use my Denon as the pre-amp, run the center, sub and surrounds directly from the Denon 3808 AVR, and connect the pre-out from the Denon for the mains (FR&FL) to a power amp, and plug the Vantages into the power amp.

This way, I'd get all Denon AVR features, video switching, etc..., and get better sound on the Vantages from the power amp.

Does that approach sound reasonable?

The only question I have is won't their be an issue in HT mode with the center being driven by a different amp than the mains? You might want to look into a three channel amp. The HT experts can comment:D

The only question I have is won't their be an issue in HT mode with the center being driven by a different amp than the mains? You might want to look into a three channel amp. The HT experts can comment:D

In theory, NO. The Auto-EQ program (Audyssey on Denons) should be able to compensate for the additional power of a few speakers and even it out. However, for me, i would just get a 5-channel amp (e.g. Sunfire) to power the whole system.

Last edited:
In theory, NO. The Auto-EQ program (Audyssey on Denons) should be able to compensate for the additional power of a few speakers and even it out. However, for me, i would just get a 5-channel amp (e.g. Sunfire) to power the whole system.

Since a 2 channel amp is cheaper than 5 channel, I'd be able to get a much better 2 channel amp than 5 channel amp on the same budget.

Having the dedicated 2-channel amp power the main speaker, would allow the Denon to power only 3 speakersm which it should be able to do with relative ease.

of course, ideal would be a external 5-channel amp, but my approach was simply to make the budget be more effective by purchasing a higher quality amp for the main speakers, and leverage the Denon for the remaining 3 speakers...

Rodrigo

rudyslb,
I a similar setup with my HT. I have a separate 2-channel amp for the fronts but I have two other amps one for the center and one for the rear. It is just how it all worked out and when I had money.

No complaints it works great

Good Luck

Jeff:cool:

Thanks...

That is exactly what I'm planning to do... start by running the Vantages from my AVR, then later add a separate 2-channel amp for the vantages, then later, replace my current sub, maybe replace the surround with ESL logans, add other amp....

The biggest fear is... now that I'm starting... will it ever end?? From what I read in this forum... Probably not :)

I think once we start paying real attention to our sound, there's never an end-state, there is always room for improvement !!!

Is anyone in this forum so happy with their current setup, that there is no room for improvements or upgrades... I think not :)
Rodrigo

Rudy, I would start out used and buy the amp also if it were me. I have a Logos and I consider it the best center channel ever made and these speakers last forever in a smoke free environment. If panels have been replaced then most likely they have been mistreated or physically damaged. There is a used Logos on Ebay right now. Buy with original shipping materials only if you by used. Audiogon is a great place to buy used audio. Good Luck, Mike

rudyslb,

I think in the long run you will be happy with the results. I would venture to say that most of us do not have an "open" checkbook to buy what we want at any time. I would also say that a lot of us have built our systems over time. You will get there all it takes is time, patience and of course money. :eek:

As far as being satisfied with my system I can say yes. At this point, anything I do will really not improve what I have to my ears. It may change the sound a bit but to an improvement, I do not think at this point is achievable. Now let me qualify that, I would have to spend a lot of money to get maybe a 10% improvement and that to me is not worth it.

Good Luck

Jeff:cool:

Back