1080p over Component Video on a Video card?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_tinker

Reaction score
Folks,
I am considering buying an HDTV finally now that my 27 inch SDTV of over 10 years has finally passed away... :( In the meantime I have found a $10 open box special, 14 inch Toshiba flat tube that will have to do for now.

I am considering either the Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U or LC32D62U. They are both 32 inch, the former having one more HDMI port and a DVI port where the other does not. They both support 1080p inputs via the HDMI, & Component ports. The LC32D62U is a little bit cheaper in price, but I am considering attaching an HTPC to it. I tried the other day to attach my laptop to the TV via the S-video port and it sucked! It was so blurry I could barely read anything. I was hoping that I could use component video from the HTPC, as my receiver can only go as far up as component, it cannot do DVI or HDMI. I could do a direct DVI connection if I bought the more expensive of the two, but I don't know if DVI supports 1080p or not. The TV says it can support 1080p via component, but I don't know if component from a video card can support 1080p. The most I've read about anywhere is 1080i. Are there any video cards that support output of 1080p via component? Or will I be stuck with either going over DVI or a DVI to HDMI adapter? Or even a video card that outputs directly to HDMI?

Even if that ends up being the case, how does it look on the HDTV? Is it stull blurry like the S-Video cable is? Or does it make use of the HDTV as if it were a computer monitor and make it really clear? Does anyone have any experience in this and could give some hints and tips? Thanks!

-capT

I'll try to help, given my limited understanding. I believe component can support up to 1080p, but over time, you'll find less and less source options for HD over component. This is due to content protection that is being mandated for HD content. Content providers are very insistent that new HD content, and thus HD source devices (cable boxes, HDDVD, BluRay, etc.) down res any analog output (VGA, component, etc.) to SD levels.

So if you want full HD signals, you will need to stick with a digital signal, such as DVI or HDMI. Both support full 1080p. The video signalling and content protection (HDCP) is the same between the two, but HDMI also transfers the digital audio signals.

I have the same issue as you, when it comes to sources and switching. My pre can only switch component or svideo. My solution is to bypass the pre and take the HD video from my cable box directly to my PJ over DVI. I don't have any other HD sources, so this works for now. Once I decide to buy HDDVD or BluRay, I will need to upgrade to an amp that can switch DVI and/or HDMI.

I still use the pre to switch between SD sources (DVD, VCR, video camera), into a line doubler, then into the PJ. The line doubler upconverts the signals enough that they are tolerable on a 106" screen!

(Line doublers and triplers are cheap these days on videogon, since videophiles have all moved on to scalers and this level of processing is often built into many newer HD sets. I needed it because my PJ is analog, and I needed something to scale and perform color space conversion from YUV to RGB)

Most of the new flat panel TV's also have a PC input. I know my Pioneer has one, but I haven't experimented with it. I'm not sure of the resolution capability but it might be something to look into. It will also free up the HMDI ports on your TV for other toys :D

Otherwise, DVI with HDMI adaptor is probably your best bet.

Folks,
It looks like it may end up that I will have to go the DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI route. I guess I won't be able to do video switching unless I find a Video Card that can output 1080P over component. Though most seem to be able to at least do 1080i. Maybe that's not so bad...? I'll have to see what kind of TV I can afford first, and then design my HTPC around it. I may put up a different thread sometime on the plans for my HTPC, though it may be months before I can afford to do it.

-capT

Digital

It looks like things have been pretty well covered and answered but i'll throw in my .02 anyways, in case some things were a bit confusing. A pc connected to a tv should most definitely be done through the DVI or an HDMI port, if your video card doesn't have hdmi which most do not, then a simple hdmi>DVI adapter can be had for very little dollars. Another route is to get a dvi>hdmi cable which is also very inexpensive. *All cables and adapters can be had from monoprice for very cheap and extremely high quality*

Depending on what your input situation is like on the tv depends on how to hook up the HTPC, if you plan on running a PS3 and an xbox 360 both through hdmi, then you need a 3rd digital port for your pc, either a 3rd hdmi or a dvi port. Lots of tvs have the pc input, but sadly they are usually a vga port which is analog and not the best route, especially if you are going to run the native resolution of 1920x1080.

Hope this helps...

Back