MIT Magnum M1 or Transparent Reference

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HAVE PLINIUS ALSO...DON'T WORRY...WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE THEM?
I should get them within two weeks. I am planning to invest in Audiodharma's cable cooker since these cables so much time to break-in. I think it is a good piece of equipment one should have. What is your comment? Has anyone used "AUDIODHARMA CABLE COOKER" ?

I should get them within two weeks. I am planning to invest in Audiodharma's cable cooker since these cables so much time to break-in. I think it is a good piece of equipment one should have. What is your comment? Has anyone used "AUDIODHARMA CABLE COOKER" ?

Even without break they sounds wonderfull...I haven't use it...When i bought them i left my stereo playing continusly for two weeks...It was nice to hear my summits singing all the time :music:

Even without break they sounds wonderfull...I haven't use it...When i bought them i left my stereo playing continusly for two weeks...It was nice to hear my summits singing all the time :music:

I am planning to go for Audiodharma cable burner. It makes things easier. Every where wherever I read about these cables requires a minimum of 500 hrs it will y be done within a week with this gadget and some where I read that it is better to put the cables in the cable cooker at least once a year to get the best out of them

I am planning to go for Audiodharma cable burner. It makes things easier. Every where wherever I read about these cables requires a minimum of 500 hrs it will y be done within a week with this gadget and some where I read that it is better to put the cables in the cable cooker at least once a year to get the best out of them

these cables requires a minimum of 500 hrs it will y be done within a week with this gadget and some where I read that it is better to put the cables in the cable cooker at least once a year to get the best out of them

Please someone tell me what principles of science back this up ???

Ahhhhh..... the power of 'psycho acoustics' at work !!

The only thing I'm "puttin' in the cooker" are some nice venison chops...........

Again on a serious note, the thought of ANYTHING taking 500 hrs to 'break-in' is proposterous , let alone wire !!!!!!!
Reminds me of the Woody Alen movie where he is the little sperm getting ready for the big "shoot", now just think of him as a little electron getting all nicely 'lined up' in your cable !!!

Again on a serious note, the thought of ANYTHING taking 500 hrs to 'break-in' is proposterous , let alone wire !!!!!!!.............
I have never heard "break-in" with wires, but I did read somewhere a tonearm manufacturer stating that the wires in his tonearm needed break-in, but with a higher current than is generated by a cartridge. He also stated that some people do it by connecting a tuner's output to the tonearm clips and connect the other end to the tuner input of their preamp. And no, I did not do it - just too busy enjoying the music!

"Break-in" does occur, but it has nothing to do with the metal conductors. It has to do with the insulation material around or between the wires, and in direct contact with them. In that relation to the metal, the insulation becomes a dielectric -- just like in a capacitor. This capacitance is something the manufacturers try and keep to a minimum, but it's always there. And just as with capacitors, the dielectric material in a cable has to "form" or take a molecular "set" at the insulation-to-metal interface, when a voltage is applied. Does the cable sound better after the insulation has 'set'? It depends on the construction of the cable more than anything, and how much voltage can be applied (without having the insulation break down) which is why this process takes awhile in normal use, and why people "cook" their cables before use.

One thing is widely acknowledged: new (or long dormant) capacitors in components, and especially those that are in the signal path, do provide better sound after several hours use. So many believe that being similar animals (to capacitors) that cables go through the same 'break-in' process.

One thing is widely acknowledged: new (or long dormant) capacitors in components, and especially those that are in the signal path, do provide better sound after several hours use. So many believe that being similar animals (to capacitors) that cables go through the same 'break-in' process.
I recently upgraded the electrolytic capacitors in my DAC to Black Gates. The DAC immediately sounded better, then after a few weeks it suddenly got dramatically better; however, it took considerably less than 500 hours of playing.

I recently upgraded the electrolytic capacitors in my DAC to Black Gates. The DAC immediately sounded better, then after a few weeks it suddenly got dramatically better; however, it took considerably less than 500 hours of playing.

Exactly Bernard ! I do acknowledge a 'break-in' period and as several of my "EE" friends have said, capacitors 'set' themselves in a relatively short time, no where near 500 hrs !!

Neil, I have read and heard the wire insulation break-in you mention and while I agree, again not 500 hrs !!

This isn't the first time I've seen the magic '500' hr break-in number discussed. I firmly believe that it is nothing more than a BS / Marketing ploy so as you become accustomed to the piece your 'breaking in' !!

Exactly Bernard ! I do acknowledge a 'break-in' period and as several of my "EE" friends have said, capacitors 'set' themselves in a relatively short time, no where near 500 hrs !!

Neil, I have read and heard the wire insulation break-in you mention and while I agree, again not 500 hrs !!

This isn't the first time I've seen the magic '500' hr break-in number discussed. I firmly believe that it is nothing more than a BS / Marketing ploy so as you become accustomed to the piece your 'breaking in' !!

i have these cables and i have experiance because i have use many expensive and from different brands cables.The TRUTH IS THAT THEY SOUNDS WONDERFULL even without break in there is an improvement after about 100 hours but no way 500 !!! Sometimes i am thinking what kind of guys do test products ? after lot's of spending money i stop believe to any test....i only trust my ears

i have these cables and i have experiance because i have use many expensive and from different brands cables.The TRUTH IS THAT THEY SOUNDS WONDERFULL even without break in there is an improvement after about 100 hours but no way 500 !!! Sometimes i am thinking what kind of guys do test products ? after lot's of spending money i stop believe to any test....i only trust my ears

Hi guys, please read the review of Harmonix cable. Here is a link:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/harmonix.htm

If you want to read about Audiodharma cable cooker here is the link:

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/audiodharmacablecooker.htm
and do not forgert to click on "FAQ".

Did I say anything about 500 hours?

Even if it were hypothetically true, I can't imagine how one would go about comparing two events so far apart in time (21 days!) My position would be, "Ship it to me after it's fully broken in . . . . . and with a money-back guarantee!" ;)

Hi guys, please read the review of Harmonix cable. Here is a link:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/harmonix.htm

If you want to read about Audiodharma cable cooker here is the link:

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/audiodharmacablecooker.htm
and do not forgert to click on "FAQ".

Well, I read the info on the cable cooker, including the faq, and as expected they have absolutely no discussion of the actual science behind it. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But I still can't see paying more than six hundred dollars for a device that speeds up a minor improvement in performance from a few weeks to a few days. For that kind of money, I can buy thirty or forty c.d.s and use them to break in my cables. :music:

In fact, it blows my mind that audiophiles will spend thousands of dollars on cabling and then blow another six hundred to get those cables to perform their best immediately. I agree with Neil. Ship them to me already broken in.

As for the review of these cables, the reviewer bases his idea that they need more than 500 hours on what the manufacturer told him and on his listening to them at 250 hours and then after shipping them out and receiving them back "a few months later" with no clue how many actual hours had been put on them. Give me a break. What kind of hogwash of a review is that? I seriously doubt even the most experienced reviewers have a true audio memory for fine details that last more than a few hours, much less days, weeks or months. This review has zero credibility, especially on the cable burn-in debate. Let me make clear that I am not dissing these cables -- never heard them and have no idea how they sound. But if you want to push concepts like a 500 hour burn-in time for cable and the effectiveness of a cable cooker, you need to come up with better science than this to back it up.

Give me a double-blind test with a new cable out of the box compared to a cable run for 250 hours, 500 hours, and one cooked on the cable cooker. If anyone (especially this so-called reviewer) could tell a difference and pick out which was which, I would be amazed (and convinced). Jeez, I am starting to sound like James Randi.

Last edited:
Even if it were hypothetically true, I can't imagine how one would go about comparing two events so far apart in time (21 days!) My position would be, "Ship it to me after it's fully broken in . . . . . and with a money-back guarantee!" ;)

Amen !! I agree 100% !!!

Give me a double-blind test with a new cable out of the box compared to a cable run for 250 hours, 500 hours.......
Agree. The only true way to see if a cable (or any component) changes over time is to compare the used one against a brand new, never used one. I have had the opportunity to do this with a few cables (but never with components).

Hi guys, please read the review of Harmonix cable.

First off this is no reaction to you or the cables in question, for I have no listening knowledge of them.

Regarding the link to the review........OMG !!! like alot of reviews and reviewers they get paid by the number of words and shall I say 'dribble' that they write. This guy though just might take the cake...... for example, in his summary he use the following to descibe the cables....."augmentation of body and fullness", then....."images have soft boundaries", followed by...... "solidity and the weight of the images". Contradiction, 'gobbldy-guck', call it what you want.

The real kicker was the last paragraph, he notes: while reviewing these cables he was performing various acoustical "tweaks" to his listening room !

I agree with Rich....Hogwash !

Received the cables - What a difference instantly. I am waiting for the cable cooker to burn the cables consistently. Dr Kiuchi does not have any objection of using Audiodharma cable cooker. I am yet to order the power cables - Studio series next month. Are you using Harmonix power cords for the Summit also?

Received the cables - What a difference instantly. I am waiting for the cable cooker to burn the cables consistently. Dr Kiuchi does not have any objection of using Audiodharma cable cooker. I am yet to order the power cables - Studio series next month. Are you using Harmonix power cords for the Summit also?

YES I DO...I also use RF-999MT "Real Focus" tuning feets under my summits...You see that i was right ?Tell to everyone here who thinks that cables doesn't matter and force them to find a better cable than this no matter price !!! Magazine victims :D Mr KIUSI IS STRANGE AND DOESN'T PAY MAGAZINES TO ADVERTISE HIS CABLES JUST BECAUSE HE KNOWS THAT HIS CABLES ARE THE BEST...I am very happy that you realise that also...:bowdown: :music:

Last edited:
i have HS-101 Super Max Tweeter Cable and HS101-SLC for the speakers and GP-XLR101SUS XLR CABLES...i also have change my power cords with studio master...the result is astronishing...when you buy these cables i dare anyone in this forum to find a better cable no matter price(i have heard the 20000$per meter siltech emperor and the 17000$ oracle mit which i used to have)...you will be so happy when you have them that it will be like you change an amp or a pro...And something else...Have you heard MIT with tubes?Because a friend of mine used to have the oracles v1.1ma with jadis 250 monoblocks,jadis pre,metronome kalista cd player and dac with zingali hm 215 and he had a very big noise comming out from his speakers because of the crossover of the cable...GUESS WHAT HE HAS NOW :music: They need 300 HOURS TO BREAK IN but they sounds wonderful from the begining...I am very happy for your desision because i feel like i done something good...I am very sad when i see exotic systems sound bad because of the cables...And believe me cables are the most importand part of a system because you can have a very good equipment but a bad cable can destroy everything...Keep in touch...Looking forward for your impressions...

The dealer suggested to go for Harmonix Studio DC2 for Summit cables whereas the the other 4 cables is Studio Master. Will that be all right? Yet to recieve teh cable burner.

Back