MIT Magnum M1 or Transparent Reference

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I would like to stop investing on speaker cables for at least 5 years. Currently, I am using DH LABS Q10 Bi-wire speaker cable and Silversonic Balanced cables. I would like to upgrade to either MIT Magnum M1 or Transparent Reference series and wondering whether I will achieve a substantial difference. My system comprises of Plinius SA-102 Power Amp, Cary SLP-05 PREAMP, Wadia 861 CDP,Summit speakers and SME 10/SME Sr V ARM with Shelter 501. I also mentioned in my earlier post that I do not have any option of auditioning these cables . Looking for some expert advice/ comment about these cables. BTW, I listen mostly to Jazz and old rock and a bit a of Classical Music.

I would like to stop investing on speaker cables for at least 5 years. Currently, I am using DH LABS Q10 Bi-wire speaker cable and Silversonic Balanced cables. I would like to upgrade to either MIT Magnum M1 or Transparent Reference series and wondering whether I will achieve a substantial difference. My system comprises of Plinius SA-102 Power Amp, Cary SLP-05 PREAMP, Wadia 861 CDP,Summit speakers and SME 10/SME Sr V ARM with Shelter 501. I also mentioned in my earlier post that I do not have any option of auditioning these cables . Looking for some expert advice/ comment about these cables. BTW, I listen mostly to Jazz and old rock and a bit a of Classical Music.

I didn't catch your other post as to why you can't audition but if it because no one near you will loan out the cables then consider The Cable Company http://www.thecableco.com/ since they have a home audition program. Being able to listen for your self is going to be the only way for YOU to judge is a specific cable is an improvement or not. Good luck!

i used to have siltech cables.i have use mit oracle v3,cardas,audioquest sky and others.but the best result was with the siltech.recently i tried harmonix and wow!!!! These not very expensive cables even beat the 20k siltech emperors....Believe me if you can find them give them a listen....If you can see my system is very simmilar to yours...I sell the siltech's and my system now is full of harmonix from power cables,interconect,speaker and digital...:bowdown:
http://www.combak.net/

I admit to no experience with any of the mentioned cables except Transparent, as we are a Transparent dealer. We, in fact, just had a training recently which opened my eyes significantly to the differences cables can and do make in a system. The guys who cry snake oil are just in the dark on this one.

We had a simple system with a Rotel preamp, Rotel class D amp, and B&W 685 speakers. Thats it. We had it connected with some serial digital RG6 type coaxial interconnects (similar to what we would normally use in a custom rack)....and some basic 16/2 speaker wire (the $.30/ft. stuff we run day in and day out for most custom applications). We listened to a Diana Krall live track a few times....then switched just the interconnects for some of Transparent's new "RG6" type custom length coaxial interconnects (with networks)....definite improvement..not subtle at all...everyone there heard it night and day. Ok then we changed the speaker cables....and again, an improvement...this one a bit more subtle, but to the trained ear, it was fairly easy to pick out.....the jump in interconnect was huge....I couldnt believe it....it brought space, imaging, depth, dynamics, bass extension, midrange clarity, and treble smoothness to the otherwise "normal" sound with the other interconnects....in this case, it was definitely more musical. The speaker wire change was less dramatic, and some might argue its benefits....but to me, it brought a cohesiveness to the music...although you could still hear each individual instrument in its own acoustic and physical space, it somehow brought them all together with the music.....it may have been a time/phase thing, or whatever...but it just kind of melted the band together as one.....more pace, more rhythm, more musical togetherness....at first, I thought it was a bit on the warm, soft side....but the more I listened, the more I liked it...things stopped "popping out" at me and the music just sounded like music...i hope that describes it as I hope....

Anyway, it was a learning experience, and if I were you, I would try to audition the cables you are considering in your system....because each system will likely react differently to different cables...trial and error, unfortunately is the key with most audio upgrades....good luck.

Unfortunately I am loacted in Kuwait where there are no dealers for MIT and for Transparent, dealer does not have any faccilty to loan me for trail so I have to be depenedent on the users' comment.

Unfortunately I am loacted in Kuwait where there are no dealers for MIT and for Transparent, dealer does not have any faccilty to loan me for trail so I have to be depenedent on the users' comment.

Well that certainly complicates things! Good luck in your search and hopefully you can find someone who has similar tastes in their listening habits.

i used to have siltech cables.i have use mit oracle v3,cardas,audioquest sky and others.but the best result was with the siltech.recently i tried harmonix and wow!!!! These not very expensive cables even beat the 20k siltech emperors....Believe me if you can find them give them a listen....If you can see my system is very simmilar to yours...I sell the siltech's and my system now is full of harmonix from power cables,interconect,speaker and digital...:bowdown:
http://www.combak.net/

It appears that we have a similar set up for 2 channels. How do you find the Harmonics cable compared to MIT Oracle V3? Which series of harmonics cable are you using? Where can I get a good deal (new ones) in the USA who can ship to Kuwait? What type of music do you listen ro?

Since you cannot audition directly, one option you may have is to purchase both used and sell whichever you like least.

Also, Transparent and MIT used to be one company. They split off approx. 15 years ago due to a quarrel. Because of the same roots, their technology is not supposed to be that different - it will probably not be a night and day difference.

It appears that we have a similar set up for 2 channels. How do you find the Harmonics cable compared to MIT Oracle V3? Which series of harmonics cable are you using? Where can I get a good deal (new ones) in the USA who can ship to Kuwait? What type of music do you listen ro?

Hi, i listen mostly to jazz,rock but i like many others kinds of music too.
I believe that cables are very importand thing in high-end.I have tried many different cables from mit,siltech,furutech,audioquest and cardas.From the above siltech used to be my favorites by far.I like them so much that i paid about 25.000 euros to buy them.All these before i travel to Tokyo and have my first experiance with a pair of Wilson alexanria driven by a pair of jadis monoblocks and a Metronome kallista cd player...all these conected with Harmonix power cords,interconects and speaker cables...AMAZING...When i came back i bought XLR Audio Interconnect Cable HS-101GP-SUS for every single thing in my system,a pair of HS-101GP Super Max Tweeter speaker cables for the mids and highs of the summit and a pair of HS-101GP speaker cables for the bass...Yes two different cables instead of one from two to four...I also change all of my power cords with X-DC "Studio Master" 350 and the result is by far the best summit set up i have ever heard.Combak which is the company that makes these cables is the same company that has developed the xrcd for jvc.Mr Kiusi who is the owner of these company can chalenge you to bring him whatever cable you want no matter budget and hear with your own ears that these cables are the best...Simply because they are made by gold,silver and RODIUM(the only ones in the market)...the terminals are also by WBT and Furutech...And believe me with these cables is the first time i feel that is like having no cables because they have no character...You can hear your components...I hope that i help you...:music:

Hi, i listen mostly to jazz,rock but i like many others kinds of music too.
I believe that cables are very importand thing in high-end.I have tried many different cables from mit,siltech,furutech,audioquest and cardas.From the above siltech used to be my favorites by far.I like them so much that i paid about 25.000 euros to buy them.All these before i travel to Tokyo and have my first experiance with a pair of Wilson alexanria driven by a pair of jadis monoblocks and a Metronome kallista cd player...all these conected with Harmonix power cords,interconects and speaker cables...AMAZING...When i came back i bought XLR Audio Interconnect Cable HS-101GP-SUS for every single thing in my system,a pair of HS-101GP Super Max Tweeter speaker cables for the mids and highs of the summit and a pair of HS-101GP speaker cables for the bass...Yes two different cables instead of one from two to four...I also change all of my power cords with X-DC "Studio Master" 350 and the result is by far the best summit set up i have ever heard.Combak which is the company that makes these cables is the same company that has developed the xrcd for jvc.Mr Kiusi who is the owner of these company can chalenge you to bring him whatever cable you want no matter budget and hear with your own ears that these cables are the best...Simply because they are made by gold,silver and RODIUM(the only ones in the market)...the terminals are also by WBT and Furutech...And believe me with these cables is the first time i feel that is like having no cables because they have no character...You can hear your components...I hope that i help you...:music:

Thanx for your feedback but unfortunately I do not have so much budget. I also noticed that Harmonix do not manufacture bi-wire cables.

Thanx for your feedback but unfortunately I do not have so much budget. I also noticed that Harmonix do not manufacture bi-wire cables.

yes they are not manufacture bi-wire cables because it's better to buy to 2 pairs instead of bi-wiring...one pair for the highs and one pair for the lows...that's why they produce the super tweeter cable for the highs and the 101 for the lows and why your plinius has four conections for speaker cables at the back...and i don't think that a cable which outperfoms the 10k mit oracle and the 20k siltech and cost 2k is expensive...you have a very good set-up and you must support it.

Last edited:
It seems that no one has used MIT Magnum M1 PRO cables with Summit!! With my friends recommendation, I am going for MIT Magnum M1 Pro Speaker Cables (Biwire) and Balanced Interconnect. I am getting brand new ones at an attractive price.

It seems that no one has used MIT Magnum M1 PRO cables with Summit!! With my friends recommendation, I am going for MIT Magnum M1 Pro Speaker Cables (Biwire) and Balanced Interconnect. I am getting brand new ones at an attractive price.

you must spend to learn :D good luck !!!even if mit oracle that i used to have cost about 3 magnums :devil:

you must spend to learn :D good luck !!!even if mit oracle that i used to have cost about 3 magnums :devil:
Are you serious of saying that Harmonix is a better cable that MIT ORACLE. R u comparing with V 1.1. I have been told by a few audiophile that Harmonix is a very fast cable but do not have that warmth what MIT New Magnum/ Oracle series has.

Here is a quote from one of the guru in Audio Industry:
I have had a set of thier HS 101 interconnects at one time. I can tell you that my impression of the cable was a great build quality, it did not have the sonic performance any where near the MIT. I found that the while the Harmonix did do a good job in the mid-range, it lacked quite a bit in the bass and the highs were fatiguing after a few minutes of listening. I can assure you that the Magnums will be a great cable for you.

Hi, I have decided not to go for Harmonix cables ever. I never thought they can be so rude and have attitude. I received a very harsh reply from a person called Kiuchi. Is he the owner of the company? It seems that he does not care about the pricing of his product & his potential customers. He is very adamant about the fact that his cables are the best in the world that no one can match his products. If he expects his customers to visit Japan and audition his cables then he has very hopes. But one of his dealers in Singapore is very polite and understanding. That way I found Transparent and MIT extremely friendly and helpful. I wish I could attach his reply. I have decided to go for Magnum M1 series soon. Anyway, thanx for your recommendation!!!

Hi, I have decided not to go for Harmonix cables ever. I never thought they can be so rude and have attitude. I received a very harsh reply from a person called Kiuchi. Is he the owner of the company? It seems that he does not care about the pricing of his product & his potential customers. He is very adamant about the fact that his cables are the best in the world that no one can match his products. If he expects his customers to visit Japan and audition his cables then he has very hopes. But one of his dealers in Singapore is very polite and understanding. That way I found Transparent and MIT extremely friendly and helpful. I wish I could attach his reply. I have decided to go for Magnum M1 series soon. Anyway, thanx for your recommendation!!!

You are welcome...Yes i know that mr.Kiousi is a little bit strange and this is the reason that his cables and inovations are not known to the majority.It's a same because it is true that they are the best no matter price.I used to have the most expensive cables in this forum (mit oracle v1 first and siltech ls188 satt with siltech compass lake interconects after) and i throw them away when i gave harmonix a listen.You told me that a friend of yours told you that these cables don't have bass....Yes they have great bass....It's just that Kiousi don't make biwire cables...He has one cable for the highs which called super tweeter and you can connect it to the upper spades of your summit and a different one for the bass which is called slc and you can connect it to the lower spades.If you see your plinius at the back you will see that it has four spades for each speaker...I understand that you must give a listen before you buy...I hope that if you don't find these cables and buy something else,never find them because you will cry for your money as i did...The difference is huge !!!

Last edited:
You are welcome...Yes i know that mr.Kiousi is a little bit strange and this is the reason that his cables and inovations are not known to the majority.It's a same because it is true that they are the best no matter price.I used to have the most expensive cables in this forum (mit oracle v1 first and siltech ls188 satt with siltech compass lake interconects after) and i throw them away when i gave harmonix a listen.You told me that a friend of yours told you that these cables don't have bass....Yes they have great bass....It's just that Kiousi don't make biwire cables...He has one cable for the highs which called super tweeter and you can connect it to the upper spades of your summit and a different one for the bass which is called slc and you can connect it to the lower spades.If you see your plinius at the back you will see that it has four spades for each speaker...I understand that you must give a listen before you buy...I hope that if you don't find these cables and buy something else,never find them because you will cry for your money as i did...The difference is huge !!!

Hi, Harmonix cables is working out to be expensive by US$ 750 than MIT Magnum M1 cable. Do you think it still worth it? BTW, my background is electronics and telecomm. engineering and have designed many audio amplifiers in my early days. I am aware of bi-wiring speaker terminals which are basically meant for double run cables.

Hi, Harmonix cables is working out to be expensive by US$ 750 than MIT Magnum M1 cable. Do you think it still worth it? BTW, my background is electronics and telecomm. engineering and have designed many audio amplifiers in my early days. I am aware of bi-wiring speaker terminals which are basically meant for double run cables.

HAVE YOU CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF THE SILTECHS I USED TO HAVE BEFORE BUYING THE HARMONIX?THEY WHERE ABOUT 4 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE....2 PAIRS OF SILTECH COMPASS LAKE INTERCONECTS WITH SATT UPGRADE...AND A PAIR OF LS188 SPEAKER CABLE WITH SATT UPGRADE....THE COST WAS ABOUT 25000$ :(...I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THEM AND I THROW THEM AWAY WHEN I HEARD THE HARMONIX WHICH COST ABOUT 5000$...I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LEARN...I CAN'T FORCE YOU TO BUY THEM BUT AT LEAST HEAR THEM IF YOU CAN...

HAVE YOU CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF THE SILTECHS I USED TO HAVE BEFORE BUYING THE HARMONIX?THEY WHERE ABOUT 4 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE....2 PAIRS OF SILTECH COMPASS LAKE INTERCONECTS WITH SATT UPGRADE...AND A PAIR OF LS188 SPEAKER CABLE WITH SATT UPGRADE....THE COST WAS ABOUT 25000$ :(...I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THEM AND I THROW THEM AWAY WHEN I HEARD THE HARMONIX WHICH COST ABOUT 5000$...I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LEARN...I CAN'T FORCE YOU TO BUY THEM BUT AT LEAST HEAR THEM IF YOU CAN...
Dear Cleon, Yes I have decided to go for Harmonix based on your recommendation primarily although I was quite upset with Kiuchi's response. I have been communicating with their dealer in Singapore who is very supportive and nice. They are called Audionote. In fact, I visited their showroom last June located in Adelphi (Hi Fi mall) who deals with Audionote, Avantgarde etc etc but I never knew of the Harmonix cable then..

Back