How old are these Speakers? Find out here. Serial Number Decoder

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycee

Reaction score
Hi,

This is a picture of the connection panel on a pair of SL3 speakers. Does anybody have any idea how old these are (approx) as I think the newer ones are different from this.

Attachments

• SL3 Panel.JPG
    SL3 Panel.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 611
Instead of showing us the connectors, grab the serial number. Then decode it using the serial number decode on this website -it will give you the exact age in year / month / units produced.

Let us know!

Instead of showing us the connectors, grab the serial number. Then decode it using the serial number decode on this website -it will give you the exact age in year / month / units produced.

Let us know!

Man... Amey, I've been here for how many years now and I didn't know we had a serial decoder on this site. I remember seeing it once though... :(

Let us know!

Many thanks for your response and solving the mystery.

Serial # SEGB404 equates to Feb 1995, right?

Would you think that SL3's of this date would require new panels.

John

Jaycee,

Don't forget there are two serial numbers. One is on the electronics box and the other is on the panels.:D

Jeff:cool:

Hi Jeff,

I am actually looking at pictures of these on eBay and it looks as though the panels have the same serial number but is somewhat obscured, see what you make of it

Attachments

• SL3 Panel2.JPG
    SL3 Panel2.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 562
Jaycee,

The panels serial numbers are usually sequential. They will be different than the electronics by at least the beginning prefix.

See if can contact the seller and have him(?) give you the numbers. Chances are they should be ok. There are a lot of things we all can recommend to give them some life. If not you can still buy new panels too.

Many thanks for your response and solving the mystery.

Serial # SEGB404 equates to Feb 1995, right?

Would you think that SL3's of this date would require new panels.

John

Correct - they were the 404th unit built in February 1995. As Jeff said, there is also a serial number on the panel. This will tell you if the panels have ever been changed. If they have not been changed, they may or may not be ok - the best way to tell is by listening. It depends on how they've been looked after - especially whether the previous owner smoked or not.

Dating Panels

Would the Serial Decoder also apply to the panel serial numbers?

As these particular speakers are on eBay and about 120 miles from where I live I guess it would be a bit difficult to have a listen to them but I will ask the guy all the relevant questions.

Being in the UK makes it difficult to get MartinLogan stuff at reasonable prices as the importer/dealers hike the price up of the new kit and therefore second hand prices reflect this. Also to buy new panels would probably cost twice as much as in the US, probably in the $1000 region, but still I am hoping that I can become a bonafide member of the club.

John

Would the Serial Decoder also apply to the panel serial numbers?

As these particular speakers are on eBay and about 120 miles from where I live I guess it would be a bit difficult to have a listen to them but I will ask the guy all the relevant questions.

Being in the UK makes it difficult to get MartinLogan stuff at reasonable prices as the importer/dealers hike the price up of the new kit and therefore second hand prices reflect this. Also to buy new panels would probably cost twice as much as in the US, probably in the $1000 region, but still I am hoping that I can become a bonafide member of the club.

John

John,

In mainland Europe (french distributor) it's more like the €1500,- region for new panels.

Adri.

John,

In mainland Europe (french distributor) it's more like the €1500,- region for new panels.

Adri.

Hi Adri,

Gosh our US friends are so lucky as I think replacement SL3 panels are only about $500 for them. My quote of $1000 in the UK was purely a guess but if you say that they are €1500 in France then that is close to $2000 Ouch!!!

John

Last edited:
Yes, the same decode applies to the panels. You will notice a "S" after the model identifier meaning "Stat panel" as opposed to "electronics" or main speaker. As for the sequence of units produced, you will notice it starts with a "7" if it has ever been changed.

Hi,
Unfortunately, this S/N decoder doesn't work for my speakers (CLS). I got them from a gent in Lawrence, Kansas, who bought them from Ron Sutherland. I believe they may be a prototype set of speakers, as you can see on the circuit boards where components have been changed, snipped out, etc.

The panels do not have serial numbers, and the electronic boxes are numbered ML-211-1E and ML-211-2E. I've tried contacting ML about this, and they have no record of those serial numbers.

I've attached a photo of the electronics box, it is smaller than other CLS's I've seen, and has the large step-up transformer mounted on the outside of the box. The yellow jumper wire in the picture is from when I was experimenting with the bias voltages, seeing if I could tweak the sound.

Attachments

• CLS_Original.jpg
    CLS_Original.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 448
Jaycee,

The panels serial numbers are usually sequential. They will be different than the electronics by at least the beginning prefix.

See if can contact the seller and have him(?) give you the numbers. Chances are they should be ok. There are a lot of things we all can recommend to give them some life. If not you can still buy new panels too.

Jeff,

I have contacted the seller who confirms that the panels have exactly the same number as the number on the woofer box............???? Having said that if you look really closely at the picture of the panel it does not look like an "E" before the GB404. Ah! that's probably an "S" for STAT Panel as mentioned by "amey01"

John

Attachments

• SL3 Panel3.JPG
    SL3 Panel3.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Jaycee,

The build date is February 1995 and it was the 404th SL3 unit built. If the the stats are the same except they begin with an S instead of an E then this also applies.

My original Sequels do not match this serial numbering convention, on several counts. First of all, the number on the electronics box is all numbers-no spaces, dashes or alphabetical figures. Secondly, my panels have no easily visible serial numbers (unless the stickers are underneath the trip rails or otherwise obscured). My serial numbers are:

8803178 and 8803179

I assume these were made WAY before this serial number convention went into effect, which would place them as made before 1989. I'm pretty sure they were made in late '87 or early '88 though, judging by the original purchase order the original owner gave me when I bought them...

Is there any way to determine the date of manufacture of these "vintage" Logans?

Thanks,
--Richard

Latest posts

Back