I'm new here

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycee

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the club as I am hoping to become a Martin Logan owner so would be grateful for any advice.

Living in the UK kind of limits the availability of used M/L speakers but maybe I would consider shipping some in from the US.

SL3's would be about the largest I could have so If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully accepted, keeping in mind that my budget is quite low at £1000 ($2000)

My room is 22ft x 16ft and I intend to bi-amp using NuForce Ref 9 monoblocks and a pair of Mosfet monos that I have built myself biased to Class A at about 250w/channel.

Hoping to get some info and possibly some offers.

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the club as I am hoping to become a Martin Logan owner so would be grateful for any advice.

Living in the UK kind of limits the availability of used M/L speakers but maybe I would consider shipping some in from the US.

SL3's would be about the largest I could have so If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully accepted, keeping in mind that my budget is quite low at £1000 ($2000)

My room is 22ft x 16ft and I intend to bi-amp using NuForce Ref 9 monoblocks and a pair of Mosfet monos that I have built myself biased to Class A at about 250w/channel.

Hoping to get some info and possibly some offers.
Hola and welcome...just remember when you are going to do the buy, that the power supplies in the U.S. are for 117 V. A.C. and as far as I know, you are 220V. You could arrange the voltage change with ML...but just check it before for availability. Happy listening,
Roberto

Hi Kcl/Roberto,

Thank you for your welcome message.

110/120v is no problem for me as I have a separate supply at this voltage.

Can anyone advise me as to which speakers would be best for me given my budget and the fact that I can't have anything larger than an SL3. Do I go for the SL3 or something that is somewhat newer which probably means longer life on the panels.

Hi Kcl/Roberto,

Thank you for your welcome message.

110/120v is no problem for me as I have a separate supply at this voltage.

Can anyone advise me as to which speakers would be best for me given my budget and the fact that I can't have anything larger than an SL3. Do I go for the SL3 or something that is somewhat newer which probably means longer life on the panels.

All the panels are manufactured with the same process...so it is difficult to us to make a recommendation. I live in Costa Rica, and you can image how our weather is...and ML works here!...SL3 is a classic. You might want to get the Ascent i, with the same size of the SL3 stat panel, with aluminum woofers...try them, you might like them better...happy listening,
Roberto.

You should be able to pick up a pair of Ascent is for about 2,000 American dollars. Before I had Summits, I had a pair of Sequel IIs and then a pair of Ascents. The Sequels were the direct predecessor of the SL3 (similar in sound) and I would recommend the Ascents.

I bought a used pair of Ascent i this past May, my first pair of Logans. I paid $1,700, but normally they go for ~ $2K or so.
I think they're excellent speakers - Nice detail, good bass, not too hard to drive, and they look great to boot.
I'd be interested to hear how the Class D Nuforce amps and DIY amps do with them. (Nuforce on the bottom??)
What type of system do you have now?

And welcome to the club.

Mike

UK member who imported ML Clarity

Hi - I'm a UK resident who has been in awe (no other word will do) of ML sound since I saw Gayle Sanders demo the CLS, some 22 years ago. The Clarity model has been laid to rest, and this coincided with several "new" pairs popping up on american eBay. Taking my overdraft facility and summononing up all the courage I could muster I bought a pair, imported them and now (hiss boo) have paid the import duty and 'Value Added Tax' (one of the biggest rip-off ideas in history but I apologise for becoming political .. its the sales tax our USA friends pay).

Anyway, Clarity sell in the UK for £2360. Overall I have ended up with a pair in my lounge - its system 213 in the 'members system' section - for £1240.

The Clarity comes with a switch-mode transformer that'll accept anything from 110 to 230 so all I had to do was chqnge the plug.

Hope that helps? Dingac UK

I bought a used pair of Ascent i this past May, my first pair of Logans. I paid $1,700, but normally they go for ~ $2K or so.
I think they're excellent speakers - Nice detail, good bass, not too hard to drive, and they look great to boot.
I'd be interested to hear how the Class D Nuforce amps and DIY amps do with them. (Nuforce on the bottom??)
What type of system do you have now?

And welcome to the club.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the info. Ascents might be just a bit too rich for my budget as they will go for nearly twice the price in the UK and to ship from the US would be expensive and also take me over budget.

Yes I would probably use the NuForce to drive the bass unit and the Mosfets to handle the panel where I think you get the the low ohms, but I will, of course try them both ways.

The pictures are of my DIY Mosfet monoblocks

Attachments

• Mosfet3.jpg
    Mosfet3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Mosfet1.jpg
    Mosfet1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 148
Back