Chicago Fall Meet

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theWB

Reaction score
We're having a Fall Chicago Meet at my place Saturday October 27th.

So far we have Cherian, Burke, Joey, and myself.

Anyone else interested in attending PM me

wayne

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for a good day of music, food and beer. As always I had a great time and got to listen to some great tunes. The best part was we Introduced Joey to Steely Dan.

The quote of the day "Stevie Nicks is a women?"

The best part was we Introduced Joey to Steely Dan. The quote of the day "Stevie Nicks is a women?"

You mean Joey didn't know of Becker and Fagen ????

Who knows where they came up with the name 'Steely Dan' ????

and tell us Cherian, who didn't know Ms. Nicks was a female ??

You mean Joey didn't know of Becker and Fagen ????
Dave,
You gotta remember Joey wasn't born yet from the release of the Gaucho album on back
Who knows where they came up with the name 'Steely Dan' ????
It's the name of a Dildo in the famous William Burroughs novel Naked Lunch.

and tell us Cherian, who didn't know Ms. Nicks was a female ??

They're was only one of us at the get together not alive in the 70's, can you guess who??

Wayne.......we are old !!! very good on the 'dildo', rumor had it I think Beckers girl friend named hers "Steely Dan" , so I was led to believe !

Wayne,

Thanks for the great invite and hospitality!!! Lovely house to the nth power and great food spread you had for us. I feel bad that when you guys came by my place, I was not able to offer the same level of hospitality as you (and others) have done. I always enjoy these get-togethers!

I would like to say that Wayne's system is superb from top-to-bottom. I feel like he has a very good latch on what makes a good system and I feel that he has a good grip on what he likes in audio reproduction. I really enjoyed the room he has his system in and I enjoy the way he enjoys music (with his server and what not).

I think the best characteristic of Wayne's system, in my opinion, is bar-none... his bass integration. I have had a sub before and I know the trials and tribulations of getting it to fully integrate with a good pair of speakers. It hits and it doesn't have that overhang.... good extension and good depth. Quick and never overbearing to my ears.

Another thing I noticed with Wayne's system that I found interesting was I finally got what Wayne likes in a system. I feel that he enjoys a somewhat grander scale of reproduction, whereas I prefer something that is more reminiscent of a small jazz club. The more I think about it, for me, 2 channel is definitely more enjoyable in a smaller setting.... which means that when I do get my listening room, I wouldn't mind a small-ish room for such an experience... which is good, because it means less $$$ out of my pocket since I feel like I can get away with a smaller area.

Alright, I'm going to bed....

Yes.... Steely Dan was introduced to me today.... and Stevie Nicks is supposedly a hot hot woman according to the other 3 Chicago contingent. And yes, I thought that the title for "Don't fear the reaper" was "cow bell".

The more I go to these meets, the more I realize that I'm very foggy with music before my time... :( .

Good to see you guys again! :D :D

And none of you guys had a friggin' camera handy?!?

I expected more from the Chicago boys, but it sounds like you were keeping busy spinnin' tunes. Joey - check out "Pretzel Logic", "The Royal Scam" and "Katy Lied".

Guys, someday we gotta school Joey on a few other bands too. Music 101 should include Roxy Music, The Rolling Stones and a little band called the Beatles.

Joey, yup, Stevie's a woman. See photo below. She's the one on the left (with the breasts).

Attachments

• buckinghamnicks.jpg
    buckinghamnicks.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

I expected more from the Chicago boys, but it sounds like you were keeping busy spinnin' tunes. Joey - check out "Pretzel Logic", "The Royal Scam" and "Katy Lied".

Guys, someday we gotta school Joey on a few other bands too. Music 101 should include Roxy Music, The Rolling Stones and a little band called the Beatles.

Joey, yup, Stevie's a woman. See photo below. She's the one on the left (with the breasts).

Tim,

I know... sorry about the lack of camera and pics! I didn't bring my camera because I figured that Burke was going to bring his monster SLR (I think he had one for the National Meet).... I was going to leave the pic taking to him.

We all should've brought cameras though.... you guys on the forum ought to see Wayne's pad... it's nniiiiice! Probably one of the nicest homes I have ever set my grubby feet on. His private listening room is FANTASTIC also. Maybe I should fix my comment on top regarding the single best thing about Wayne's system that impressed me.... I said "bass" last night, but I think now that I've had some rest, I would have to say "his room"!

Photos would have been great.... last time I go to a meet without my camera.... I think I was a bit too 'lax this time around.

Joey :)

Photos would have been great.... last time I go to a meet without my camera.... I think I was a bit too 'lax this time around.

Joey :)

Joey,
Don't forget your camera November 12th, when we go to visit Cherian's friend, Patricia Barber. Perhaps we can get a picture of us with the band.

Wayne,

Thanks for a great day. Your house and system is awesome. Thanks to Wilma for the Philipino BBQ lunch it was delicious.

Guys, great to see everyone again, lots or great tunes and new music to buy.

Actually I did bring my camera/flash/lenses, It sat on the back seat of my car the whole day. The music was just too good to bother with the pictures.

Burke you will have to post pics of your new Descent i. You are the first person that I know with one.

Wayne,

Thanks for the great invite and hospitality!!! Lovely house to the nth power and great food spread you had for us.
Thanks for the kind comments on the house, next time I'm sure Wilma would be glad to give you a tour of the parts you didn't see, she's picked out all furniture,wall colors and designed everything throughout the house, She even picked out the furniture and wall color for the music room. Unfortunatly I'm the one who's had to do all the painting, painted that Damn dining room 3 different colors before she was satisfied and we've only been here 5 years.
I'll make sure I thank Wilma for the food, It's a wonder I don't weigh 500 pounds, I love her cookin.
I would like to say that Wayne's system is superb from top-to-bottom. I feel like he has a very good latch on what makes a good system and I feel that he has a good grip on what he likes in audio reproduction. I really enjoyed the room he has his system in and I enjoy the way he enjoys music (with his server and what not).
Again Joey thanks for the kind words, But what were your thoughts on the sound with the server, could you tell a diference between the server and a CD? Every piece of music you heard off the server was ripped at 192 Kb except Steely Dan's "Aja" which was at lossless.

I think the best characteristic of Wayne's system, in my opinion, is bar-none... his bass integration. I have had a sub before and I know the trials and tribulations of getting it to fully integrate with a good pair of speakers. It hits and it doesn't have that overhang.... good extension and good depth. Quick and never overbearing to my ears.
Joey, that was achieved with the acoustical treatments, sub placement and sitting position. We should have experimented by pulling the bass traps out of the room,they help tremendously. I placed the sub in the corner with the opening to the stairway instead of the closed corner, it also even helped more when I placed the sub on an Amp stand,(an idea I got from looking at Zip's system,system #10). And the couch is kept 2 1/2 feet off the back wall on purpose, If you had stood behind the couch it would have sounded much different because I keep the back wall live.
Another thing I noticed with Wayne's system that I found interesting was I finally got what Wayne likes in a system. I feel that he enjoys a somewhat grander scale of reproduction, whereas I prefer something that is more reminiscent of a small jazz club. The more I think about it, for me, 2 channel is definitely more enjoyable in a smaller setting.... which means that when I do get my listening room, I wouldn't mind a small-ish room for such an experience... which is good, because it means less $$$ out of my pocket
Joey,
You can actually get a large room to sound the way you like it with the proper placement of acoustical treatments. I don't really control the first reflection point at all, mainly because of the bar on one side. The back wall is completely untreated except for the foam behind the scripts, because for HT it's much better to keep the back wall live. We never did get to do a HT demonstration, maybe next time. I'm a firm believer in spending a little bit of cash on acoustical treatments as opposed to lots of cash on cables and inter-connects to achieve the sound you want.

Burke you will have to post pics of your new Descent i. You are the first person that I know with one.

Other than Babydoc and a few others on this site, I haven't seen enough Descenti pics to whet my appetite.

Again Joey thanks for the kind words, But what were your thoughts on the sound with the server, could you tell a diference between the server and a CD? Every piece of music you heard off the server was ripped at 192 Kb except Steely Dan's "Aja" which was at lossless.
Wayne,

After having done several comparisons between lossless and lossy on my system, I've come to appreciate a difference in the vocal texture and instrumental decay. I can tell the difference on most any recording on my system. On yours, I wont be surprised if we did an A/B that we could pick out which was which.

Wayne,

After having done several comparisons between lossless and lossy on my system, I've come to appreciate a difference in the vocal texture and instrumental decay. I can tell the difference on most any recording on my system. On yours, I wont be surprised if we did an A/B that we could pick out which was which.

We'll have to give that a try next time and see how accurately we can all pick out the loseless without knowing which one is which.

Descent i pictures

I finally got up from listening. and took some pictures of the Descent for you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 66
I finally got up from listening. and took some pictures of the Descent for you guys.

Looks Good Burke!:cool:

Has the wife noticed the new aquisition yet?:D

I see you've added some acoustical panels, How's that working out?

Burke,

The new sub looks great. I bet it sounds awsome. Did you sell your Grotto?

Back