DTB300 and Jeff Z - Mini Get Together

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
Jeff Z was in town for work and fortunately we were able to get our schedules together for him to stop over to listen to some tunes, enjoy some snacks, and dinner with the family. It all came together at the last minute, so getting news out to other MD/VA/DC folks was almost impossible. Maybe next time Jeff and I can plan better and get others over to meet him.

Jeff and I both have the same speakers - CLSIIz's, but the electronics are different and our rooms are very different too. With his room Jeff gets the luxury of being able to spread his speakers apart further than mine. My room is much smaller and I have significant amounts of room treatments to help combat the "bunker" affect of being in a partial basement.

My setup is designed around getting a sound similar to a small Jazz Club where you are sitting in the first 5 rows listening to the performance.

Hopefully Jeff will jump in here when he gets time to express his opinions.

During the listening time, I was able to demonstrate to Jeff the great sounds of MoFi discs (recent versions and recordings from the late 1950's), 2 Ch SACD (primarily Jazz) and MCH SACD (primarily Classical) in my setup. We had a great time listening to tunes, talking about audio, and enjoying some good food.

It sure was great to have him over for a visit.

Sounds like a good time Dan, glad you and Jeff were able to 'hook up' ! look forward to Jeff's comparison of your two CLS IIz based systems.

What can I say, Dan is a great host and great food. So too bad we did not have time to share this with others within the area.

We did listen to a variety of music and it was fun to compare Redbook recordings with SACD. Dan has his system tuned for digital environment (no analog) and as he says for a small "jazz club" feel.

First of all, I would say that Dan's man-cave is as he has designed it, does have the sound of a small jazz club. Being that he is in a basement and as some you have that luxury it can be a double edge sword. It is good to be able to call this space your own and to design it to reflect what one does desire in sound and aesthetics. The reality is most of us do not have an open checkbook to create the perfect environment so there are trade-offs. I imagine a lot of us, myself included, have their systems in a common/shared room in the house.

What was really nice to hear is that, as Dan has said, we both have the same speakers so the comparison was a welcome one. It is a validation that one has "done it right" and then to hear the uniqueness of someone else's system. The discs we listened to were definitely a welcome change from some to the things that I listen to but not that far off the mark to compare.

I would have to say that Dan's system is analog sounding more than digital. It is not bright, or thin as a pure SS system and CD-based systems can be. I would say this what an all digital systems should sound like. It is realistic in its presentation. The high end is there, the mids sing and the low end is there when it needs be. I know he has spent many hours of trial and error to get it to this point. The one major thing that I can say which is different between our systems, besides the obvious equipment is his room treatments. This is where it really does make a difference. His room is "tuned" to what he likes and as with everything else there are compromises. Whether it was a Redbook, SACD 2CH, MCH, or movie, his room was consistent with his sound and a great one at that.

It is hard to compare our systems. My system is a bit more "live" in its presentation which is what I like. We have different subs and my Depth, in my opinion, blends better but that is a judgment call cause he cheats with the SMS. LOL I also think some of the differences are because I have a tube preamp and amp driving my CLS's. Our CD players are different too. I have a Krell SACD and they do tend to be "accurate", forward, crisp or what ever you would like to describe. For me having tubes probably tames that a bit and if Dan would have it it would not be "his" sound. His modded Sony is perfect for his setup. In my room/den, I do not have four walls. I do not have a back wall so there are many anomalies I will not have with room nodes that others have. My CLS's are almost 10 feet apart from inside edges (I know- insert flames here) so my presentation is large and my stage depth is greater than Dan's. Is it better, no, just different.

All in all it was a great time. I wish we lived closer than almost 3000 miles away at opposite ends of the country. There are not many "CLS people" that seem to live within close proximity so for me,as well as Dan, comparisons are general at best between our systems and others. IF you have the chance to contact Dan and hear his system it is a welcome treat.

Thanks Dan!!

Jeff:cool:

Sounds like a good time Dan, glad you and Jeff were able to 'hook up' ! look forward to Jeff's comparison of your two CLS IIz based systems.

Dave,
Tough comparison. It was like splitting hairs to really find significant differences. It is also unfair that Dan has not heard mine system with all my Radio Shack equipment. LOL

Jeff:rolleyes:

Dave,
Dan has not heard mine system with all my Radio Shack equipment. LOL

So when has "RadShack" started handling CJ !!! ????

Hopefully some day Dan can get out your way for a 'test drive' , but it was nice to read your impressions on his system of which I concur.

As I said before he has been my inspiration for getting my room acoustics in order !

So when has "RadShack" started handling CJ !!! ????

Hopefully some day Dan can get out your way for a 'test drive' , but it was nice to read your impressions on his system of which I concur.

As I said before he has been my inspiration for getting my room acoustics in order !

LOL
I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. I think for about $10.00 more than I paid for my CJ amp I could have bought a "Rad Shack" :eek:
LOL

Jeff

Nice that you guys got together.... two CLS dudes. It's great to read more on Dan's system as I've followed his system and the meets he's had before at his place. I am trying to get a picture (an aural picture) of what his system must sound like being a small jazz club in character.

I can't get a definite feel for it, but I know it must sound good.

Nice that you guys got together.... two CLS dudes. It's great to read more on Dan's system as I've followed his system and the meets he's had before at his place. I am trying to get a picture (an aural picture) of what his system must sound like being a small jazz club in character
Think....
Small club...50 maybe 100 people at the most can be there, mostly sitting down at tables with possibly some standing in the back or at the bar. Small stage, with instruments all live, no amplification, except maybe a singer to bring the singing more to the front. Sitting 5 rows away, maybe 10, but you hear the band more than you hear the room.

The music is just there in front of you, not bright or forward, just there in the raw, either putting your hair back when the Sax player really lays into it, but also it can very soft and sensitive with acoustic piano (not electric) playing a piece.

Before Spyro Gyra became known I used to go hear them in such a club and they were fantastic.

I would have to say that Dan's system is analog sounding more than digital. It is not bright, or thin as a pure SS system and CD-based systems can be. I would say this what an all digital systems should sound like. It is realistic in its presentation. The high end is there, the mids sing and the low end is there when it needs be. I know he has spent many hours of trial and error to get it to this point. The one major thing that I can say which is different between our systems, besides the obvious equipment is his room treatments. This is where it really does make a difference. His room is "tuned" to what he likes and as with everything else there are compromises. Whether it was a Redbook, SACD 2CH, MCH, or movie, his room was consistent with his sound and a great one at that.
I believe you have nailed down what my system is about. I am in the digital world and have tweaked and setup my system and my room for this medium. I truly feel my system does not have the "typical" digital sound most try to use as a description when talking about it. What you hear in my setup is MUSIC and MUSIC DONE WELL. Some may call it analog sounding, which is fine, but good reproduced recorded music is what we are all going for, independent of the medium we prefer. So I prefer to say my setup plays recorded music and does it very well.

We all have to stop this insane "this medium is better than that". Each has its benefits and drawbacks. Just be happy with your choice and get your system setup to display that choice to its best. Then sit back and listen to music and enjoy the music, and forget the comparison BS.

Also remember that while Live music is something people are also trying to use as a comparison for setups, live music can sound very good and can also sound very bad. So when you are out hearing music remember those times when it is very special and sit back in heaven and enjoy it.

All in all it was a great time. I wish we lived closer than almost 3000 miles away at opposite ends of the country. There are not many "CLS people" that seem to live within close proximity so for me,as well as Dan, comparisons are general at best between our systems and others. IF you have the chance to contact Dan and hear his system it is a welcome treat.
Yeah living so far away is a bummer, but it sure was a real treat to have Jeff over just to be able to sit and listen and talk audio!!!

Thanks Dan!!
Any time Jeff, my door is always open for ya!!

Dan

Nice that you guys got together.... two CLS dudes. It's great to read more on Dan's system as I've followed his system and the meets he's had before at his place. I am trying to get a picture (an aural picture) of what his system must sound like being a small jazz club in character.

I can't get a definite feel for it, but I know it must sound good.

Joey,
Go down on Rush Street and go to a small jazz or blues club. Get rid of the smoke and the smell of years of booze and you will have th sound of Dan's room. Like Dan has said, it is the music which is what is important and that is what his setup does. It sounds real not recorded. With certain recordingss he played you could hear the pedals release on a piano ( Diana Krall). You could also hear instrumentalists take breaths between phrasing. This is the realism one does hear when it is all done correctly. That is when it is time to stop and enjoy the music and all the time and money which was invested.

Jeff:cool:

We all have to stop this insane "this medium is better than that". Each has its benefits and drawbacks. Just be happy with your choice and get your system setup to display that choice to its best. Then sit back and listen to music and enjoy the music, and forget the comparison BS.

Also remember that while Live music is something people are also trying to use as a comparison for setups, live music can sound very good and can also sound very bad. So when you are out hearing music remember those times when it is very special and sit back in heaven and enjoy it.

Excellent commentary, Dan.

Latest posts

Back