System #214 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernard, isn't great when the 'little things' make a profound difference !
Yup. Especially when they don't cost you much.

I'm looking forward to tube rolling in my DAC; I just found out that I can use the 6922/6DJ8, of which I have a few types.

I got rid of my DIY DAC as I had to frequently troubleshoot to find out why it was not working (I gave it away). At the same time I realized that the DAC in my Marantz CD Recorder was better than it, so that's what I'm using as a DAC now; its great because it works every time. Yes, I know, I'm using a ten-year-old DAC; can't afford to buy a new one right now.

Roberto tells me I should buy a DSD DAC now.

I finally removed the captive power cord from my ARC SP 9 Mk II preamp, and replaced it with an IEC inlet, and am using a dedicated Foundation Research LC1 power conditioner to power it.

Improves everything top to bottom.

I will forever be greatful to Moon for putting me onto the LC1. What a great device!

I was always concerned that I was living on the edge, driving my Koetsu Rosewood directly into my ARC SP 9 MK II, as I had to use it with the gain set at at least 3 o'clock. I was convinced that the Koetsu was running out of steam.

Then I came across two tiny Beyerdynamic microphones on eBay for $100 the pair, so I bought them and built a step-up transformer using them. Basically bought a case and connectors, and put them all together.

I did indeed have a problem before. There is no gain problem anymore; my system came alive at once. The Diana Krall LPs are indeed magical. I do, of course, have that LC1 providing power.

Last edited:
ahhhh, the subtle tweaks, Bernard it's the sign of a mature system that just continues to improve ! .... :rocker:

Hola Bernard,

The knowledge wise is in you Bro, please keep us posted all your new little toys and how your improved sound is coming along...
A big hug from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

I got back from a friend a power conditioner I had lent him. I plugged it into my DAC. That, with the conditioner plugged into my preamp, makes for amazing sound....running out of superlatives here.

Here's a picture of my well-shielded SUT. Not much to be seen here. It's a simple circuit, with the inputs connected to the primaries of the transformers, and the outputs connected to the secondaries. No resistors on the secondaries.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I got tired of futzing with an SPDIF-input-only DAC and the required USB/SPDIF converter (a pain to troubleshoot the combination), so decided to replace them with a DAC that has a USB input; after all, the MDAC worked great. I took delivery of this baby (used, from Canuck Audio Mart) a few days ago.

I’m so impressed with it that I may go all-digital. BUT, have to first find a buyer for my turntable and records. If anyone has any ideas, please PM me.

PS Audio Nuwave DSD DAC

Attachments

• A5FF148D-6AC6-4DB8-8FF0-FB38A0EDA760.jpg
    A5FF148D-6AC6-4DB8-8FF0-FB38A0EDA760.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Thanks Adam!

If I went all digital I would have to get rid of the Koetsu. The last Sugano cartridge (a Supex) got me more than I paid for it......

But then, Adam, what would I choose for an avatar? A picture of the highest quality USB cable I can find ?:devil:

Last edited:
I heard an interesting comment on my DAC today: I played for my sister-in-law, a big fan of Nana Mouskouri (but a non-audiophile), one of her favorite songs of NM, and asked her if she heard a difference. She said yes, it sounded better, but it highlighted the fact that NM’s voice is breaking, which was not apparent on my old DAC. NM is in her eighties.

Last edited:
Hola Bernard, that´s the price you pay when the device is that good. It shows everything. The good and the bad. You can hear a feather hitting the floor. Congratulations with your new DAC. I do believe that you will be in Nirvana State soon. Keep listening to the music. It is the best medicine available.

Regards from Costa Rica my dear friend!

Latest posts

Back