Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: System #214 (SL3)

Default System #214 (SL3)

Member Name: Bernard

ML Model: SL3.
    Year Purchased: 2000
    Mods/Changes: Changed one of the electrolytic capacitors in each speaker to a Black Gate capacitor; it made no difference. Home-made traps on woofer cabinets (picture on page 7). Home-made jumpers. Foundation Research LC1 power conditioner on each speaker.

Analog: VPI HW19 Mk IV Turntable, JMW 10 Arm, PLC, HW 16.5 Record Cleaner.
    Koetsu Rosewood Cartridge, Discovery Signature interconnects, OregonDV spikes under turntable

Digital: Dedicated Mac Mini, Kanex Thunderbolt to USB converter, Western Digital MyBook 3TB USB external drive, Gustard U12 USB to SPDIF converter, DIY non-oversampling ladder tube DAC, Foundation Research LC1 power conditioner on the DAC, Marantz CDR633 CDR/CDP

Amplification: Audio Research SP9 Mk II tube preamp (much modified), Audio Research VTM120 monoblock tube power amplifiers (110 watts/channel)

Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects and speaker cables, MIT Digital Reference SPDIF cable.

Other stuff: VPI Bricks, Salamander rack, Dayton OmniMic Measurement System, IKEA lamp.

Comments and/or stories about Martin Logan experience: I used to own Quad 57s (purchased in 1978), and loved them, except that the soundstage was flat in my room, which I think was too small for them (the soundstage was great in the showroom). Then I listened to a pair of SL3s in a small showroom; the soundstage was deep, and with instruments outside the speakers, so I bought them. I used to drive them with a power amp that was providing an inadequate 50 watts/channel (purchased during my Quad days); the upgrade to the ARCs really made them sing !

I just moved (Sept 2008) from a 16'x12'x8' dedicated music room to a 20'x14'x10.5' living room. Room treatments to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bernard; 08-13-2017 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Update

Bernard, Welcome ! Glad to see another ARC / Analog fan !!

I too had an SP-9mkII that I sent out to Steve Huntley years ago for 'modding' (caps, resistors, power supply and a tweak in the phono stage), my son now has that pre and it still performs flawlessly.
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Quote Originally Posted by twich54 View Post
    Bernard, Welcome ! Glad to see another ARC / Analog fan !!

I too had an SP-9mkII that I sent out to Steve Huntley years ago for 'modding' (caps, resistors, power supply and a tweak in the phono stage), my son now has that pre and it still performs flawlessly.
    Thanks Dave. I considered the GNS mod many years ago, but found the (I think) $1,800 cost pricey for something I could not listen to beforehand.
    Last edited by Bernard; 10-11-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Default Cheap Room Treatment

Please note the cheap room treatment - which works superbly well. It consists of swimming pool noodles covered with fabric that I got from a company called Guilford of Maine (also used by Tube Traps). I found that it really cleared up vocals (I listen to a lot of female vocals).

EDIT: This is an old picture, but I thought I'd leave it in just to show the noodles.
    Last edited by Bernard; 05-06-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Please note the cheap room treatment - which works superbly well. It consists of swimming pool noodles covered with fabric that I got from the company that supplies Tube Traps. I found that it really cleared up vocals (I listen to a lot of female vocals).
    Love those 'DIY' projects that yield excellent results !! I've got some goodies coming from ATS Acoustics that I wll be working on over the coming weeks.
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Super User

Very nice system - particularly your ARC preamp. It's one of my favorites.

Welcome aboard!
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

Default Minor Update

I recently purchased a Salamander Synergy rack.

The painting on the wall is entitled, "More Than Tango", but the people who own the art store where I bought it call it "Get a Room" !
    Last edited by Bernard; 11-22-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Bernard, I use to listen to a lot of male singers, maybe because I could relate to what they were singing about, but the last 10 years I turned to female singers...get to hear the other side of the human story? I listen to jazz 180 gram LP's, but most of my rock music is on CD. What female singers are you listening to? What LP's are your favorite? I use to have a pair of SL3 but about a year ago got a pair of Odysseys. Matched them up to some Aragon Palldium mono blocks. Martin Logans always reveal the amps.

here Bernard, nice system

Quote Originally Posted by philox@ix.netcom.com View Post
    Bernard, I use to listen to a lot of male singers, maybe because I could relate to what they were singing about, but the last 10 years I turned to female singers...get to hear the other side of the human story? I listen to jazz 180 gram LP's, but most of my rock music is on CD. What female singers are you listening to? What LP's are your favorite? I use to have a pair of SL3 but about a year ago got a pair of Odysseys. Matched them up to some Aragon Palldium mono blocks. Martin Logans always reveal the amps.
    John, here is a list of my favourite female singers:

ENGLISH/FRENCH:
    Judy Collins
    Jacintha, from Singapore
    Diana Krall, but not her latest stuff (too much rock influence)
    Jane Monheit. Great voice, but I hate it that she ends phrases with "uh!"
    Nana Mouskouri, an old favourite
    Barbara Streisand

LATIN:
    Susana Baca - Peruvian
    Bia - Brazilian
    Soledad Bravo - Venezuelan. I particularly like her later stuff
    Ana Caram - Brazilian.
    Aline de Lima - Brazilian
    Cesaria Evora - Cape Verdean
    Astrud Gilberto - Brazilian
    Marta Gomez - Colombian. Really love that voice.
    Tish Hinojosa - Tejano
    Xiomara Laugart - Cuban
    Amanda Martinez - Mexican/Canadian
    Rosa Passos - Brazilian.
    Omara Portuondo - Cuban.
    Virginia Rodrigues - Brazilian. A large woman with an amazing voice
    Sara Tavares - Portuguese. Lovely voice.
    Marta Topferova - Czech, but sings in Spanish

Favourite LPs:
    Getz/Gilberto's Girl from Ipanema
    Marilyn Horne singing Carmen
    Judy Collins "Wildflowers"
    Streisand's "Memories"
    Beethoven: Symphony #6. Karl Bohm/Vienna PO
    Schubert: Impromptus. Kempff

There are single tracks too numerous to name. I do not have too many audiophile LPs; the ones I have do not get played very much. I tend to buy LPs/CDs more for the music than for the sound.

Thanks for all of the words of welcome, guys. I'm really glad I discovered this site.
    Last edited by Bernard; 12-15-2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Update.

The pool noodle thing absolutely rocks!
    George; Architect
    Aerius 1992 vintage
    Tube powered at last!
    System # 42
    System Link

Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    The pool noodle thing absolutely rocks!
    And they were really easy to make, apart from the sewing (my sister did that for me); I covered the noodles as I could not live with hot pink, lime green, or screaming yellow.

Support is provided by 1/2-inch dowels fitted into a length of wood at the bottom, and a thin piece of wood at the top holds them together.

You have a beautiful system -- in some ways similar to mine, but a bit "bigger". Then of course there's the traditional ARC vs. C-J rivalry, but I'm willing to overlook that if you are

Is that a mk IV with a JWM 9? Sweet!

Also, how do you like the Alpha? I've been considering one of these. I had a Tempest, but sold it. It was really something, except that the bass was a bit loose and woolly. I've missed it ever since, and have been thinking that an Alpha (though a bit shy of the Tempest's 7-tube complement) might be a suitable replacement (and slightly more modern). Any comment?

Quote Originally Posted by xenonaut View Post
    You have a beautiful system ...

Is that a mk IV with a JWM 9? Sweet!
    Bernard really does have a beautiful system. It always makes me smile when I look at it, and I'm sure it makes him smile every time he listens to it.

I believe his tonearm is either a JMW-10 or possibly a 10.5. It has the VTA adjustment tower and what looks like a dropped counterweight. No VTA adjustment on the JMW-9 as far as I know.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here