line of work

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired from the USN as Senior Chief Petty Officer in 1996. Trained as an aircraft mechanic. After retiring, took odd jobs, driving concrete mixers, stocking shelves and just having fun trying new things. My better half asked me if I was ready to get a real job after 2 years of playing around!

Went to work for an extremely wealthy man restoring his personal WWII era aircraft to a flying status. He crashed 2 planes due to pilot error. Ran one out of gas with a sight glass and bobber in front of his face. The other he attempted a landing in an open field in a Spitfire because the pilots in WWII did it. Dug the wing in the dirt and ground looped it. Time for me to go!!

Been with Northrop Grumman since 2003. Maintain aircraft at the Test and Development Squadron at Naval Air Station Patuxant River, MD.

wow , fascinating stuff . my father in law flew spitfires and mosquitos , and his dad was one was a group captain in the RAF and had his own

Been in radar defense, biomedical and consumer electronics for over 25 years. Current job as a Senior Program Manager for a high tech computer OEM.

Self employed.

Started out with a BSEE, working in professional audio at Audio Animation on the Muse Digital Mastering Console.
Many years passed and many other companies where I did a lot of UNIX software development, managed a software support group, handled the infrastructure for a virtual company, and wrote web software for a financial company.

Finally after the last company I was working for at the time started to sour a bit I went to work for myself.

Now I work from home doing business process automation. What that means is that I look at how a business operates and I find ways to automate how they do business typically using MS CRM, web portals and integration with legacy systems. I don't travel and typically roll out of bed and work in my jammies most of the day. In many cases I never met my customers and I do almost everything by Internet and phone. When the economy tanked in the US I spent a chunk of time working with a customer in New Zealand before I came back to mostly US based customers.

RC,

Would love to hear about the New Zealand / Australia area.

Retiring in a year or two and that part of the world (climate, politics, attitudes, etc.) is very appealing. The USA has become so polarized and angry and the government so dysfunctional. I'm very tired of it all.

If you know, how difficult is it to become a "citizen"?

My first choice was Victoria, BC (for the above reasons) but very difficult to qualify for full citizenship.

Gordon

RC,

Would love to hear about the New Zealand / Australia area.

Retiring in a year or two and that part of the world (climate, politics, attitudes, etc.) is very appealing. The USA has become so polarized and angry and the government so dysfunctional. I'm very tired of it all.

If you know, how difficult is it to become a "citizen"?

My first choice was Victoria, BC (for the above reasons) but very difficult to qualify for full citizenship.

Gordon

I work remotely and don't travel for work and have not visited New Zealand or Australia on vacation yet. My customer was located in Christchurch and was hit by a pretty severe earthquake while I was working on that job.

I believe that the current leader of Australia wants to make it hard for new people to enter the country even though he isn't originally from Australia himself. However he is generally regarded as a complete idiot by the people there. Check out his comments about immigration here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

Do you really think you can escape dysfunctional governments by leaving the US?

I have a friend who lives in Argentina and you have no idea what dysfunctional is until you swap stories with some of these people.

I think "the grass is always greener" may apply even with all the issues the US has.

I do hear that Switzerland is very nice, however you may be surprised at the extreme amount of regulation surrounding everything in many places in Europe. Getting permits to make modifications to your home would be at LEAST comparable to owning a historical residence in Charleston and asking for a waiver. In many cases you are expected to make changes that will hold up for 100 years. As a result they have much higher quality roofs etc.. over there. However the people do vote on everything in a real democracy. So even if the government proposes something if the people don't approve it, it doesn't happen. In some ways I really like Switzerland.

I guess it isn't surprising that Canada would prefer that you move up there when you have a valuable skill set and will be contributing to their tax base vs. retiring. BC is beautiful and lots of great Science Fiction is recorded there :)

Canada does seem a lot more measured in how they handle politics. The US is frenzied and paranoid by comparison.

I try to stay away from political arguments since nothing ever comes of them and I try not to let politics get me worked up.

Last edited:
ER physician, 32yo, hoping to retire by 50.

Hah! Wishful thinking right?

I retired at 55, so it is possible. I suspect when you reach 50 you'll be wanting to keep on doctoring, though.
Then again, he could retire at 50 and open that audio shop he's been considering. Maybe with a hearing clinic attached? The levels at which some audiophiles listen to music, a lot of them may well be hard of hearing.

I manage a chain of Brothels in Nevada.....oh that was last nights dream !

a man can still dream ..... can he not !

2nd year Medical Student at Rush University in Chicago... yup... I guess all I do is study.

Sigh.... :( .

One day, I will say, "Hello world!"

Someday soon.

ER physician, 32yo, hoping to retire by 50.

Hah! Wishful thinking right?

................'Hello World' !!

Then again, he could retire at 50 and open that audio shop he's been considering. Maybe with a hearing clinic attached? The levels at which some audiophiles listen to music, a lot of them may well be hard of hearing.

Then right back to work again at 55 to save retirement! Lol

Missed this thread before. Investment banking, worked on the trading floor, now managing regulatory risk projects.

Latest posts

Back