Official Press Release: MartinLogan Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Here's the official word on the new ML hybrid called "Source".

Attachments

• Source_Press_Release_US.doc
    39.5 KB · Views: 508
  • source.jpg
    source.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 2,358
Last edited:
So I'm not too sure if this is an improved Clarity or not.
Panels are a little bigger but they're using a paper cone versus an aluminum cone for the bass. The unit is also heavier (as I recall from the Clarity specs)
I'm not too fond of the look of my Clarity's and from a visual perspective, these seem a little nicer. I'd like a little more than the Clarity can offer and will probably hold out for the Vista as finaces allow.

Look at all that panel space being blocked by the box. I do not like any of the box blocking designs !

Look at all that panel space being blocked by the box. I do not like any of the box blocking designs !

Yeah, but this is a Clarity replacement and the Clarity also had the box behind part of the panel... it's a way to cut costs I guess.

So I'm not too sure if this is an improved Clarity or not.
Panels are a little bigger but they're using a paper cone versus an aluminum cone for the bass. The unit is also heavier (as I recall from the Clarity specs)
I'm not too fond of the look of my Clarity's and from a visual perspective, these seem a little nicer. I'd like a little more than the Clarity can offer and will probably hold out for the Vista as finaces allow.

I thought they sounded noticeably better than the Clarity, Mick...

Source

I started with the clarity and have now moved on to the source due to the price and better technology. I am pretty impressed with the imagining even connected to some modest equipment. If you are looking to make the jump, I believe this is the best sub-$2,000 speaker available.

I just called Best Buy and they said the Source is indeed replacing the Clarity. I'm not fond of the Source's design myself. It does look like a cost cutting measure by eliminating the sexy curves. Paper cones are less durable too but not sure of the sound difference to aluminum cones. I wish they only made a minor design change.

Martin Logan Source hooked with Onkyo 875

I am buying my first Martin Logan´s Source. And I am planning to hook them to the Onkyo 875. I am worry on the impedance issue since the source are 5ohms and Onkyo recommended speakers are 8ohms and higher. Any suggestions??

The Onkyo should do fine with the source. It won't bring out the best in the speaker, especially in the utmost high-end, but it will play well enough.
Just don’t be surprised if you try and play it real loud for an extended time, that the receiver might shut down to protect itself.

Many of these receivers are not designed to supply the high current that low impedance demands for extended periods of time.

The 875 specs seem robust enough.

And it’s always good to welcome another Tico to our Club. Bienvenido!

Jonathan, thanks for your response.

I feel much better to know what to expect.

Do you think I should add in the future a pre amp?

Jonathan, thanks for your response.

I feel much better to know what to expect.

Do you think I should add in the future a pre amp?

Actually, I'd add a Sunfire TGA7200 amp (or TGA5200 if running five channel), and use the Onyo as your pre-amp. This is will adress the power issue once and for all, and let you enjoy the nice features in the Onkyo.

In the future you could upgrade to an Integra 9.8 preamp.

Thanks again, I will check your links!!!!

I have three weeks enjoying the speakers. I've noticed that there is a signifficant difference in the sound of old and new recordings. Also in live or studio recordings.

Some old songs that I enjoyed in my old receiver sound much different. Maybe because I've turned into a more detailed listener. In other songs I've heard sounds or cords I have never notice in the old receiver.

I have my sistem plugged in a 5.1 set up. Movies are amazing!

I still need to experience with different speaker positions and subwoofer (I have the Dynamo). I will let you know.

Saludos y Feliz Año Nuevo!

Rodolfo Molina

Back