Logitech Harmony 1000 Touch Remote w/ pic

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I just bought this remote and was wondering if anyone out there has it?

What are your thoughts...likes/dislikes about this remote?

Thanks,
Dominick

Thanks,
Dominick

I bought one about a month ago. I love it. It has had some glitches, but nothing major. I had it lock up on me twice. I just removed the battery and it was fine. This is the easiest remote to program that I have ever owned. The screen is easy to see and understand. If you are not sure if it will support a certain device you have, let me know and I'll look it up for you. I don't believe Logitechs web site has a list.

I don't believe Logitechs web site has a list.

It would be a very long list. The 880, 890 and 1000 support 75,000 devices! Just about everything made in the past 5 years is there. When a new device hits the market it usually is available immediatly if the manufacturer provides remote codes (which most do).

Considered the 1000 for a long while. In the end I decided against it for two simple reasons - touch screen, and a new 880 was on sale for under $150 (a very good price back then) - but not without a nagging feeling of regret.

A touch screen is great in many respects, but has one major disadvantage: there is no tactile feedback, i.e. one must look at the screen to touch the right areas on the screen for many common functions e.g. play/pause/stop/fwd/rew.

On the me-likey side: bigger screen; on screen text is probably easier to read than the small print on 880/890 buttons. Ultimate gadget. Looks great, too.

Thanks,
Dominick

Thanks guys...

Dr Pig, the only component I am wondering about is the new Sony XBR5 I am waiting on. If you could look that tv up--I would appreciate it.

KDL-52XBR5 is the model code.

I am still waiting for the first shipment to hit Tweeter. They are saying this friday it will be in.

I appreciate it,
Dominick

The Harmony's are great remotes for what they are but I seriously recommend you check out the Universal Remote Control brand. They're far more customizable, rugged and all have the capability of RF. Also, you can expand the systems out later through the use of other products from URC. I personally have an MX-850 and wouldn't trade it for any Harmony, even a 1000. Soon it will be a bedroom remote and I will be using a MX-950 or MX-3000.

The Harmony's are great remotes for what they are but I seriously recommend you check out the Universal Remote Control brand. They're far more customizable, rugged and all have the capability of RF. Also, you can expand the systems out later through the use of other products from URC. I personally have an MX-850 and wouldn't trade it for any Harmony, even a 1000. Soon it will be a bedroom remote and I will be using a MX-950 or MX-3000.

I would agree I have the MX-3000 I use in my theater room and a Harmony in the bedroom. I'm unfamiliar with the 850 and 950 from URC, but programming the MX-3000 literally took HOURS, the Harmony less than 10 minutes, granted my theater system is much more complex than my bedroom system, but the harmony was very easy and the manual was nothing to read and understand. The MX-3000 doesn't come with a manual because they expect you to have someone progam it who is trained properly. I down loaded the manual off line and it took me over an hour to read the entire manual, programming macros was very difficult and time consuming. Also the MX-3000 cost me $600, I picked up the Harmony 670 for $69. As far as ease of programming and price, Harmony 1000 wins hands down. As far as features, looks, and ergonomics MX-3000

Harmony 1000 can find easily for under $250 -- Suggested Retail $499
MX-3000 can find easily for under $600 -- Suggested Retail $999

Attachments

• logitech.JPG
    logitech.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 203
  • mx 3000.JPG
    mx 3000.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
As far as ease of programming and price, Harmony 1000 wins hands down. As far as features, looks, and ergonomics MX-3000
I am still waiting to decide on which to buy.

I like the 3000 better due to it's much greater flexability, but do not like the programming invovled and the high learning curve.

The 1000 is much easier to program but I do not like all the issues with it at this time.

I guess I will wait to see how things go with the 1000 over the next couple of months before making a final decision.

Dan

I actually bought the 3000 about a year ago, but didnt want to pay the 3 or 400 that tweeter wanted to program it.

Anyway, I was unable to figure the damn thing out so I finally just sold it on ebay.

I just got the harmony 1000 today and it ran me 269.00 OTD on ebay! Plus, I am thinking that I will actually be able to use...which is always a plus.

The 3000 is obviously a nicer model, but too complicated in my opinion. I even had trouble programing my tv into it.

Anyway-it is charging now and tomorrow I will attempt the programming. I will post my experiance for those still considering.

Thanks for the comments guys,
Dominick

That is one of the reasons I ruled out the "Universal Remote Control" brand VERY early on in my decision-making process. I called them about programming options, graphic customization, and such, and when they told me that I'd be better off having my dealer program it for me, I saw HUGE red flags. Any bit of gear that I can't program myself isn't something I want.

When I asked him if some of my more oddball components (ones I have, and ones I plan to get soon--Oppo DVD player, Sunfire pre, Krell pre, Meridian CD player) would work with his remote, he acted like I was somehow imposing on his day. I told him that if I was going to shell out as much for a remote as I did for a preamp, it had better damn sure work with my rig.

And when I asked them if the programming software they shipped with it for end-users was Mac compatible they ran a total attitude with me, like I was an idiot for even asking such a question. The tech asked me if I was an "audiophile" and when i said "yes", he remarked that he'd never had anyone even ask if it was Mac-compatible. When I remarked that if it wasn't for Apple, we might not have things like wireless networking, GUI, and about half the "indy" recording companies, he told me that maybe I should look into another brand.

I decided then and there that perhaps "URC" really stands for "Unbelievable expensive Retail Con-job"... ;)

That's why I'm getting a Harmony. They were actually nice, polite, and helpful on the phone, and VERY proud of the fact that they are the only producer of a touch-screen programmable universal remote that even has Mac-compatible software for set-up and customization. And they very politely and quickly answered all my compatibility questions. Those reasons and the fact that the dinner-plate-size form factor of the URC actually generates negative SAF points... :duh:

--Richard

Last edited:
I programmed the remote today and it literally took me less than 15 minuted to get it into full working order as far as the IR commands are concerned. I spent another half hour or so customizing it. I set a new background pic and dl'd a slide show into the remote.

All in all- I am very happy with the remote so far. One thing that I was very impressed with was the following:

My dvd/cd player is powered by the outlet in my av reciever. This causes a slight delay for the cd player to get into standby once the receiver is activated.

The first time I used the home theater macro, the remote tried to turn the dvd/cd player on too fast for it to catch the signal. It asked me if everything turned on correctly and I entered no. The remote then turned on the DVD player again and ever since-it automatically starting delaying the dvd/cd player turn on sequence.
It really IS a learning remote!!

I am very happy so far. If I have any future glitches-I will let you know!

Dominick

I saw the Harmony 1000 at my local Best Buy and was playing around with it. I was impressed with its UI and its overall usability. If I had a lot of gear with remote capability, I would definitely get it.

I'm currently running with a Sony AX-3000.. not bad but it has a monochrome display. have it programmed to perfection.
I've had a chance to play with Harmony reomotes and specifically the 1000.
It's already on my Christmas wish list (but my partner thinks I already have too many remotes).
Dis I say Christmas?? :eek:

I'm currently running with a Sony AX-3000.. not bad but it has a monochrome display. have it programmed to perfection.
I've had a chance to play with Harmony reomotes and specifically the 1000.
It's already on my Christmas wish list (but my partner thinks I already have too many remotes).
Dis I say Christmas?? :eek:

You won't need any other remotes once you have the 1000. They can go into a storage box.

I absolutely agree with the ease of programming comments with the URC vs. Harmony. The Harmony wins hands down. I don't mind taking the time to program the URC though. It's a nice sort of challenge to tweak the remote to work exactly how I want it to and that's one of the reasons I bought my remote; to do exactly what I want it to do and to be able to tweak out every little issue.

I love Logitech products and I give them a lot of credit for taking nice universal remotes and making them more mainstream but there is something to be said for the extra little bit that URC gives. The fact that it's custom programmable means that I can even tweak the look and feel of the interface so that my roommate and girlfriend can use it without any questions. Ever. And that's worth quite a bit to me.

Latest posts

Back