Aeon I Panel Noise

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregLett

Reaction score
I have a crackling sound coming from my left panel only. I have vacuumed it and I thought it went away. But in listening to recordings I thought the noise floor seems high; recordings sounding hot. I stopped the music and when standing near the panel I hear the sound. This was not there before, and I figured if it was normal both panels would have the same level of noise. It's not the amp or any other equipment, because the noise is there with nothing connected. It seems to go away when the panel is idle for a while. This reminds me of the Vantage post. Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks.

I looked at the manual again and they suggest dust/humidity is the cause.
I am guilty of the high humidity and dust, basement conditions. I will get some
compressed air and see if that helps; i know I need a dehumidifier also.

I'd vacuum again - really well. And make sure you leave the panels disconnected for a day or so first to ensure they have discharged.

Good luck Greg.. let us know how compressed air and further cleaning works out for ya.

Joey :)

I'd vacuum again - really well. And make sure you leave the panels disconnected for a day or so first to ensure they have discharged.

Won't they discharge even when plugged in since they turn off after a few minutes of idled time? I never unplug my ML's. I vacuum them twice a month. Neve have any crackeling noise.

Hi,
I'd vacuum the panels, paying extra close attention where the mylar film meets the sides of the panel. This is where the high voltage bias on the panel film is likely 'bleeding' off due to the electrical conductivity of moist dust or similar, and causing the background noise.

HTH,
Peter

Won't they discharge even when plugged in since they turn off after a few minutes of idled time? I never unplug my ML's. I vacuum them twice a month. Neve have any crackeling noise.

No, the panel stators stay charged all the time when they are plugged in. It is important that you unplug them overnight or at least for a few hours before you vacuum the panels. Otherwise, you are not cleaning them as effectively as you think you are.

The sound is still there after the spraying, but reduced. I will leave them unplugged (I didn't last night) and clean some more tomorrow. I have to finish my ceiling now, exposed ceiling + jumping 2 year old above sound room = dust problem.

my aeon panel on the right gave crakling sound during playback. as suggested had done everything incld. vacuum over night discharge, swap left to right but nothing help. the culprit was not the panel or the power supply, is the transfomer starting to give way. once replaced and soldered the panel sound perfect.

my aeon panel on the right gave crakling sound during playback. as suggested had done everything incld. vacuum over night discharge, swap left to right but nothing help. the culprit was not the panel or the power supply, is the transfomer starting to give way. once replaced and soldered the panel sound perfect.

I don't like the sound of that:( I will contact my dealer today and raise the issue with him.

Thanks for that bit of information.

No, the panel stators stay charged all the time when they are plugged in. It is important that you unplug them overnight or at least for a few hours before you vacuum the panels. Otherwise, you are not cleaning them as effectively as you think you are.

The Aeons turn off after idled a short time. The blue led turns off in the front when I had a pair of Aeon i's. My Odyssey's also turn off after idled a short while. From what I read that reduces the dust atraction during non use. I think the older models were on all the time and had this problem of attracting dust particals all of the time.

I vacuumed again, and the noise is still there, but faint. I'm wondering if its faint due to them being powered of (unplugged) I guess I'll see. I've emailed ML to see what they have to say.

The Aeons turn off after idled a short time. The blue led turns off in the front when I had a pair of Aeon i's. My Odyssey's also turn off after idled a short while. From what I read that reduces the dust atraction during non use. I think the older models were on all the time and had this problem of attracting dust particals all of the time.

You are correct, George. The more modern ML's do idle the static charge after a period of non-use. I guess I was thinking of the older models. However, Martin Logan still recommends that you unplug the speakers before vacuuming. I took the following directly from the electrostatic FAQ on the Martin Logan website:

"Q. How do I vacuum my MartinLogan speakers?
A. Vacuuming will be most effective if the speakers have been unplugged for six hours to twelve hours (i.e. overnight). You need not worry about the vacuum pressure damaging the "delicate" membrane. It is extraordinarily durable. Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner, or you may blow them off with compressed air. When vacuuming or blowing off your panels do so to both sides, but focus the majority of your attention on the front of the panels."

Martin Logan called me back. I explained the problem to them. Jeff from Logan said "I heard enough, your problem is panel related, I'll send you out a new pair"
What a company, I'm impressed!! I should heave them by next week I hope.
:banana:

You are correct, George. The more modern ML's do idle the static charge after a period of non-use. I guess I was thinking of the older models. However, Martin Logan still recommends that you unplug the speakers before vacuuming. I took the following directly from the electrostatic FAQ on the Martin Logan website:

"Q. How do I vacuum my MartinLogan speakers?
A. Vacuuming will be most effective if the speakers have been unplugged for six hours to twelve hours (i.e. overnight). You need not worry about the vacuum pressure damaging the "delicate" membrane. It is extraordinarily durable. Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner, or you may blow them off with compressed air. When vacuuming or blowing off your panels do so to both sides, but focus the majority of your attention on the front of the panels."

Most likely that Q&A has not been edited since it appeared 20+ years ago. :D

Martin Logan called me back. I explained the problem to them. Jeff from Logan said "I heard enough, your problem is panel related, I'll send you out a new pair"
What a company, I'm impressed!! I should heave them by next week I hope.
:banana:

New Panels arrived today. I've installed them, and they are now my MLS' are as good as new!

Back