Thread: Nature smoothing out my system

Default Nature smoothing out my system

I had an extended listening session the other day with my cousin, both of us now mid age and we commented on the natural rounding off of high frequencies as one gets older. "almost tubelike"
    We have to enjoy it now before it becomes muted. I wonder what the sweet age spot is

I love it ! Tune YOU to the system !
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

Your hearing gets worse with old age....Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Your hearing gets worse with old age....Damn.
    Yeah, but your memory goes too. So you don't really remember that you used to hear all those high frequencies.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Default My memories

I'm sure that I'm losing my ability to listen to high frequency, but when I was young I don't have any memory to listen to any music with much high frequency from any audio system then.

Now I'm very grad to listen to old vinyl because I can find out new dicovery from the old recordings with my modern gears.

Shuji
    ???...!!!...???...!!! "Curiosity is my best friend."
    Rabbit house ( See my system#166! )

I think most popular music does not contain many notes above 12 khz. Classical music does, though. I remember back when I was shopping for a tape deck back in the -70's and I noticed that the Sony's and the Teac's would have a frequency range out to 20khz, but the real expensive and professional machines would only go out to 14khz! Why? Perhaps it was the slope? By that I mean, is it more important to capture music to 14khz within 1db than to capture it to 20khz within 3db?

Perhaps losing the ability to hear high frequencies above 14khz wouldn't too much diminish the pleasure of listening to music, but I'm sure it would some. Of course, there are other factors involved such as Tinitus or the slope of the frequency range that would come into effect with hearing loss that would have an effect.
    - Steve You got fins to the left, fins to the right...Wilson WP8, Pass Labs XA-100.5, Pass Labs XP-20, BAT PK-V5, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, TTW GEM V2, K&K Audio Premium SUT, VPI 16.5 & Keith Monks Discovery One record cleaners, MacMini (on Spatial Isoplane), JRiver, Ayre QB-9 DSD, X-CAN V-3, Sennheiser HD-535 (on Woo Audio stand), Adona Racks, SRA amp bases, PS Audio PPP, Mogami w/ Neutrik XLRs, Douglas speaker cable, GIK treatments, Shunyata Venom Defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
    I think most popular music does not contain many notes above 12 khz. Classical music does, though. I remember back when I was shopping for a tape deck back in the -70's and I noticed that the Sony's and the Teac's would have a frequency range out to 20khz, but the real expensive and professional machines would only go out to 14khz! Why? Perhaps it was the slope? By that I mean, is it more important to capture music to 14khz within 1db than to capture it to 20khz within 3db?
    I'm sure that if you measured those mass-market tape decks to 1 dB they'd be lucky to see anything near 14 kHz. I really like "+/- 3 dB." Stock speakers from a '75 Monza are probably 40-20 kHz at +/- 3 dB.
    Member system #173
    Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    As for cables, sigh, I hate to get into a cable discussion, as they typically degrade quicker than a signal through a Bose speaker

My late father frequently listened to my system and was consistently able to discern good tonality, imaging, soundstage, air, performer positions within the soundstage and bass extension in good recordings. He was also able to tell me the merits/drawbacks of component changes in my system and good recordings vs. not-so-good ones.

He was not an audiophile, but loved classical piano music. He was able to do the above at the age of 90 and after being a WWII vet with some hearing loss (artillary barrages).

I wouldn't worry unduly about the aging process unless we are talking about becoming totally deaf. Most of us will be able to enjoy this hobby for a long, long time!

All the Best
    ML Vantages w/Infinity sub + vintage Krells + Ayre CX-7e

Yeah, but your memory goes too. So you don't really remember that you used to hear all those high frequencies.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rhom View Post
    ...He was not an audiophile, but loved classical piano music. He was able to do the above at the age of 90 and after being a WWII vet with some hearing loss (artillary barrages).

I wouldn't worry unduly about the aging process unless we are talking about becoming totally deaf. Most of us will be able to enjoy this hobby for a long, long time!

All the Best
    Thanks very much for your post. I was about to get quite pessimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

LOL, that's a great point Rich.

I find it's a learned trait to be able to compare systems or settings within asystem, and do it realiably. That's also why I always use the measurement rig with the calibrated mike. I don't go by it alone, but it helps keep it real and fixes that 'memory' leak in the system
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Quote Originally Posted by rhom View Post
    My late father frequently listened to my system and was consistently able to discern good tonality, imaging, soundstage, air, performer positions within the soundstage and bass extension in good recordings. He was also able to tell me the merits/drawbacks of component changes in my system and good recordings vs. not-so-good ones.

He was not an audiophile, but loved classical piano music. He was able to do the above at the age of 90 and after being a WWII vet with some hearing loss (artillary barrages).

All the Best
    We accept all too willingly the idea that age, in and of itself, causes ones senses to diminish, brain to turn to mush and other parts to require a jack, luckily it just ain't so. Keep using those parts, don't abuse them and they will actually last an entire lifetime, barring any traumatic incidents or disease.
    Last edited by risabet; 09-20-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    See my system here

Everyone always tells me...

"By the time you get to splurge on an audio system, your hearing will be on its way downwards..."

So sad but so true....

Joey
    Joey "kid with grey hair" V
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 2: Rotel RA1592 Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)

Quote Originally Posted by mosttoysrk View Post
    I had an extended listening session the other day with my cousin, both of us now mid age and we commented on the natural rounding off of high frequencies as one gets older. "almost tubelike"
    We have to enjoy it now before it becomes muted. I wonder what the sweet age spot is
    Enjoy now, for sure. However, I have seen older guys who have claimed impaired hearing ability similar to what you describe discern subtle differences between inter connects!