CJ, Krell or?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
I’m in the process of building a dedicated 2 channel system. The system will be built around the following.

1) CEC3300 CDP
2) ML Prodigy or Odyssey
3) Carver Lightstar reference AMP 300 WPC.

My question is regarding the preamp. Should I get a Krell KAV250p or a Conrad Johnson PFR? I do not plan to add TT to this system. Are there any other pre-amps I should consider for about $1000.00.

Please let me know every ones thoughts.

Thanks

Cherian

At the price point you mention I'd look for a used cj or arc. Alternatively, an audible illusions. I would definitely go with a tubed unit.

I’m in the process of building a dedicated 2 channel system. The system will be built around the following.

1) CEC3300 CDP
2) ML Prodigy or Odyssey

My question is regarding the preamp. Should I get a Krell KAV250p or a Conrad Johnson PFR? I do not plan to add TT to this system. Are there any other pre-amps I should consider for about $1000.00.

Thanks

Cherian

Sounds like someones putting together a new Man Cave.
300 WPC will rock the house.

You got it. I just put an offer on a much bigger house in the burbs. The most important thing is its got a 700sq ft basement that will be all mine. I need to buy the toys before the wife want to spend it something useless like furniture.

As much as Im a Krell fan ! I think that the CJ will be a smooth match for the Lightstar

I have to agree. I just paid for the CJ and should have it in a week. I can not wait. "I love it when a plan comes together."

The PFR is the "new" CJ sound and the PV-10 is the old sound....

PV-10 will be warmer and PFR will be more dynamic.

Just depends on what you prefer!!!

Well then looks like I will have to keep both. Change out the pre when the mood hits me. :rocker:

I had the PV-10BL and it was wonderful. The only complaint I had about it and it is not CJ's fault, is the "BL" did not have a phone stage but the "B" did. So I purchased a phono pre amp and the problem was solved.

I agree with Jeff (Tone Pub) on this one. They will vary a bit in sound. The CJ SS does not really sound "bright" but when you compare it to the tube versions you will hear how "sweet" the tube version can be. I have since progressed to the Premier 17LS2 and that was a huge jump for the better.

Best of luck with which ever one you decide.

Jeff:cool:

1) CEC3300 CDP
2) ML Prodigy or Odyssey

Thanks

Cherian

Cherian,

First off... congrats on the new house and I hope you enjoy your new listening room you lucky bastard!

Second off... for preamps, you know what I'm partial to so I wont keep it a secret. You can't deny CJ.

Got both the CJs today!!! Hooked up each and did some listening. What a difference from the Sunfire Theater Grand. The CJs are smoother and darker the soundstage much bigger. The pre amp change to CJ is a quantum leap forward for me towards audio bliss. Both sound great but I did enjoy the warm rounded sound of the tubes (PV-10AL). The difference is subtle but noticeable. However I do like the convenience of the IR remote of the CJ PFR. What oh what to do? I know get on Audiogon and buy a PV-14L. This is just what I did. The PV-14L is a CJ tube pre with a remote and on its way.

I'm just 2 channel now. I have talken apart the HT for now. I will be setting the HT back up once I move. Slowly the dedicated 2 channel system is taking shape.

Anyone want to buy a CJ PV-10AL?

Attachments

• DSC01672.JPG
    DSC01672.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01677.JPG
    DSC01677.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC01678.JPG
    DSC01678.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 143
Congrats Cherian!

Your rack looks mighty empty now though... since you emptied out your HT gear.

Would be nice to stop on by before you leave for the 'burbies.

Have fun with your new toys!

Joey :)

Cherian,

Congrats on your new preamp.

On the "darker" comment, it maybe that it is not really darker but not as "bright". To my ears things sound more natural and not solidstate-ish, aka bright.
Do you know that all CJ's are hand built? :D Do you know how old the tubes are in the CJ? You can buy tubes from CJ even if the unit is no longer made. After you listen for awhile with the "new" CJ, what I might suggest is getting another set of tubes. I know CJ guarantees the tubes they sell and tests them in matched sets.

There is also the other alternative of finding other manufacturers tubes which will change the sound. This will be a subtle change and you may or may not like it. Again, this is a choice and not a steadfast rule. I usually prefer what the machine was designed around to get the most of the unit. :rolleyes:

YMMV

Jeff:cool:

Last edited:
The build quality of the CJ product is outstanding. The PV10AL was built in 93 so the tubes must be about 15 years old. The PV14L was manufactured in 2001, so I’m assuming the tubes will be 6 years old. I should get the PV14L pre on Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I have read some awesome reviews of the PV14L. I have to have a remote for volume control because I am way too lazy to keep getting up. I do love the tube sound and now I’m thinking about a full CJ tube system with the addition of a tube power amp. This will have to wait for a few months.

In the mean time I will be putting the PV10AL on e-bay.

Back