Spike cups

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Right now I am using dimes ($0.10) as my spike cups so the spouse does not freak by having spike holes in her hardwood floor.
I can't really justify the cost of the Black Diamond Pucks.
Any suggestions that your currently using or like? Just want a quality item to place my stock Vantage spikes on. I feel that if I keep using the dimes then I should place my components on cinder blocks and 2x10 plank shelves (ahhh,,, the days of my youth).

Thanks, Lee

I used quarters!

I think it's fine... although some swear by them boutique pucks.

Joey

Dimes and quarters are fine, as Joey says. However, there are brass pucks available aplenty for a couple of $ each. Then there are expensive plastic material pucks too. I tried one out of Germany, supposed to be fantastic for turnables, but which I found to be a disaster underneath my Summits. Softens the bass to such an extent that the speakers sounded woolly. It is that obvious. Right now, am not using any since my Summits on placed on 2 large slabs of granite tiles on my hardwood floors. Great performance all round.

In God we trust

I used quarters!

I think it's fine... although some swear by them boutique pucks.

Joey

Darn, Joey raised the bar! Might have to go to Half dollars, or maybe Sacagawea Dollar coins. I will not be using the new Presidential Dollar coins since our PC government removed "In god we trust".
Anyone tried Krugerrand Gold coins as pucks? Might not be as good a choice cause I would have to buy a BMW to go with them (whole other thread), smile.

Thanks for your replies, Lee

Kaboom unless you have some early Washington dollars that did not have the edge printing go ahead and get some new ones I am sure that they will sound fine.

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 168
Darn, Joey raised the bar! Might have to go to Half dollars, or maybe Sacagawea Dollar coins. I will not be using the new Presidential Dollar coins since our PC government removed "In god we trust".
Anyone tried Krugerrand Gold coins as pucks? Might not be as good a choice cause I would have to buy a BMW to go with them (whole other thread), smile.

If you trust in god, that's your business. Money should not be about religion. As far as I know, only the U.S. puts a religious slogan on their money. Why?

You should use silver dollars. Everyone knows silver increases the clarity and resolution of your system. ;)

You could always paint them black for a darker sound :)

Kaboomnash, is there a picture of your system? (I feel out of place because I use pennies to blend in with part of my hardwood floor.)

Hey Craig and rampage60; those are very funny comments (10 and 11), but shouldn't you wait for the "burn in" before you "toe in" the dollars and see if the color reflects the sound properly? .........sorry, I had to.......

Kaboomnash, is there a picture of your system? (I feel out of place because I use pennies to blend in with part of my hardwood floor.)

Yep, in Vantage #206. Sorry, they might seem a bit blurry; trying to figure out the new camera.

Lee

You should use silver dollars. Everyone knows silver increases the clarity and resolution of your system. ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark. I LOVE my silver cables...

But seriously, Kaboomnash, I agree completely with Cherian. OregonDV is a great comapny--quality products, fast shipping, reasonable prices. I have their 1.5" brass cones under my Sequels, and they DEFINITELY thightened things up. Since my listening room is carpet over concrete slab, the spikes are just point-down in the carpet. No hardwood to worry about...

So anyway, when I bought these spikes, they came with point pucks, in th epolished brass (gold) finish. I'll probably never use them, and they are in a baggie in my "goddies box". I have 8 or them, but should have another 8 by the end of next week, because I ordered 8 more gold spikes from them last week, in the 2.15" size, to put under my amp stands. So that would be a total of 16 pucks. They are VERY nice looking, but I just don't really have a use for them.

If you are interested in them, send me a PM, and maybe we can work something out. I can't let them go for a dime, but I can definitely come in well under a Krugerrand... :)

--Richard

Good afternoon Richard,

Thank you for the offer; I will certainly keep it in mind. Another ML member is shipping me 8 spike cups already.
My wife arrived home from Bavaria last night and will be having the mail delivered today, she will let me know if they arrived. I am in Istanbul at the moment, heading back into iraq.

Thanks again, Lee

Latest posts

Back