Ben Harper & the Blind Boys of Alabama: There Will Be A Light

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
Artist: Ben Harper and The Blind Boys of Alabama
Title: There Will Be a Light
Year of Release: 2004
Record Label: Virgin Record 7243 5 71206 1 6 (LP)
Genre: Gospel/Blues

Ben Harper is known as an eclectic musician well versed in a number of different styles. The album "There Will Be A Light" with the vocal septet The Blind Boys of Alabama is hard to place stylistically, having both blues and gospel influences. Musically however this album is easily placed in the category of incredible. Movingly lyrical, Harper and the Blind Boys mesh and feed off each other in ways that are both musically and emotionally satisfying. Whether singing original compositions or traditional arrangements of gospel standards, the musicians were "on" and that comes across in every track. Regardless of your personal religious beliefs, the emotional impact and clear belief of the musicians comes through loud and clear.

Well recorded, vocal lines are distinct and placed in a nice warm studio acoustic. The back up players are also spot on, bass is tight and extended as are the upper frequencies. The engineers let the musicians make the recording, what more can we ask for, and they have made one that is exceptional in every regard.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 506
good one

I totally agree!

Own this record for about 2 years and come back to it again and again. It let my aerius i totally disappear and puts me into a great listening atmosphere, just full of voices, intruments and music.....

If you like Ben Harper, you should check out his latest, Lifeline.
Great music IMO, and the recording is excellent.

Latest posts

Back