Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theWB

Reaction score
Artist: Jamie Cullum
Title: Twentysomething
Year of Release: 2004
Label: Verve
Genre: Lounge Singer??

Never heard of this artist before.Picked up this CD cause the cover caught my attention, looked at the track listing and found it to be very eclectic, old classics like Singing in the Rain, I Get a Kick Out of You, What a difference a Day Makes, Rock like Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary, Radiohead's High and Dry, and one of my favorite Jeff Buckley tunes- Lover, You Should Have Come Over.

I've been listening to this cd the last couple of weeks and really enjoy it. Jamie's voice does not have a very large range, and is kinda gravelly but what he lacks in range he makes up for in emotion, Vocals are front and center on the entire album.

Jamie's versions of these old favorites, Rock classics, and a couple of originals are catchy and listenable over and over. Even with his lack of vocal range, he pulls off Jeff Buckley's song quite well.

I'm not sure how to classify the genre of this CD. There's a little bit of everthing in this CD, jazz,rock, salsa, I classified this under Lounge Singer, because thats what it reminds me of without the cheesiness.

Enjoy.:music:

Attachments

• JAMIE.jpg
    JAMIE.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,280
Wayne, Got the CD myself. Kinda reminds me of a young Sinatra, a little bit.

Fun with a big F

I received this album as a birthday gift and was surprised. Left field in so many ways, certainly not main stream.

I ended up buying his DVD concert, Live at Blenheim Palace, my very young children were fascinated by this young guy singing "Papa's music" but slapping a piano about and jumping off it! It became regular post dinner entertainment on the big screen for them.

Jamie's interviews reveal a young rocker who grew up on jazz, he readily admits to taking a rock approach to jazz and knows it is not for everyone.

My take? If it stretches the jazz boundaries enough that I can get my kids interested then I am ok with it.

Buy the DVD concert and enjoy this young guy and his very capable jazz musicians accompanying him. It's different, that's all.

Jeff

Attachments

• 51ZEVQ8JMPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51ZEVQ8JMPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,203
Back