Companies that used to make high end gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if it was the Kenwood KAP line but I can share some information and do remember the effort Kenwood made into the high end line.

I purchased two of these Kenwood mono blocks in February of 1980 at $850 for the pair. They were paired up with Snell Type IIA's at the time until my jump to electrostatic ML's. (Prior to this set up I had a Phase Linear 700B and a pair of Ohm F's, 350 watts into 8 ohms, 700 watts into 4 ohms!) The Kenwoods have been in use for many years of trouble free listening. These amplifiers are the L-05M High Speed Direct Drive models. They are the next smaller to the L-07M's.

L-05M included a heavy duty transformer and 2 10,000 microfarad electrolytic capacitors. Rated at 100 watts into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20KHz, they put out very good power into the ReQuests even at high volume levels.

Looking down thru the covers you can see the two large capacitors and transformers in each unit. I also changed the power chords from 18 gauge zip cable to a heavy duty 12 gauge.

These are Kenwood Audio Purist (KAP) amps.

Btw, Pioneer, for instance, still builds some audiophile products for the British market. It's a shame that they'll never see the light of day here in the US.

Back