Aerius i and AV receiver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubeing

Reaction score
First of all, hi to everybody. I'm starting to build a new AV/audio system (mostly audio material + HT once or twice a week) for my new home and some days ago I was enchanted by the sound of a pair of Vista...
my ears are quite "trained" (I'm a musician too) but I never heard something like that detail, articulation, clarity etc etc...
So I started to look for something used (here in italy prices are very very very high for things like ML...) and I found some Aerius' i. I'll go to a listening session within a few days (Aerius i + Cinema i + Sunfire amp/prepro) but I have some questions for you:
1- my budget (and the prices here in italy) doesn't allow me to buy an AV receiver for HT and a "real" hi-fi amp for stereo material, at least not now...
so I'm thinking to buy an AV amp (probably Onkyo 805) to feed all the speakers (even if they goes down to 1.7Ohm @ 20KHz).
Could it be a good choice (waiting for a krell or something like this for "serious" stereo reproduction)?
2- I'm looking also for prepro/amp combo, but I'm not shure this is the moment to buy a prepro with all this new HD standards evolving all the time. Here in italy , the combo is a very uncommon choice and there is a very limited market also...suggestion/hints?

I'm going to put all the stuff in a 36mq room (probably I'll use some bookcases to divide the space into two smaller rooms) with wooden ceiling and bricks' walls. The ceiling is angled, starting from 1.2m to 3.5m ca (highest point).
Thanks in advance and sorry or my poor english!:p
Stefano

Why not get the 2-ch set up as well as possible and wait to buy a good processor and a 3-ch amp in the future. I personally prefer 2-ch for video as I find the articulation of voices is better with a phantom center than a cheap center channel. With the MLs you really need an ML center to get it really right.
YMMV

Why not get the 2-ch set up as well as possible and wait to buy a good processor and a 3-ch amp in the future. I personally prefer 2-ch for video as I find the articulation of voices is better with a phantom center than a cheap center channel. With the MLs you really need an ML center to get it really right.
YMMV

I couldn't agree more! I have been using my logan's in 2 channel for the last couple years and just very recently upgraded to surround sound. I was amazed at how great TV and movies sounded through the stereo set up and the music was SO much more wonderful than it ever would have been through a receiver. My advice would be to start out with the two speakers and a nice 2 channel integrated amplifier. Try to find one that has the ability to be integrated into a surround system later via the use of a 'bypass' mode. Then worry about upgrading to surround sound in the future.

Thanks, this was my "second choice".
But now I have the opportunity to buy the Aerius' i and the Cinema i together at a very reasonable price. You're right saying that phantom center would be way better with ML than a cheap center speaker, but the Cinema i is the perfect companion ( I think) for the Aerius'. I'm also looking for used Krell KAV 300/400 but here they are very expensive (the 300i costs more than 2000$ used, the 400 about 3500$!). But If I use an integrated amp for frontal speakers, I'd need another 3-ch amp form the same brand, and this is more difficult...I saw a primare 3-ch amp and the smaller brother, 2-ch, but I don't know how it sounds..there is also a Thule audio 5 ch amp + pre/decoder, but, as I sayd, I don't want to waste my money for processors now...
Have a nice day
Stefano

Not sure how the pricing is on Meridian in Italy, but you might want to consider a Meridian 565 or 568 preamp as a do-all system. The meridian surround preamps actually offer an outstanding 2-channel experience. I moved from a BAT VK-3i preamp to a Meridian 565 and the sound quality on 2-channel was comparable. Plus with the Meridian you need only setup one system, and it will do all of your theater/audio duties. The only downside to Meridian is limited inputs, to expand the inputs you need the 563v add-on or 518 digital processor add-on.

I used the 565 with a Bel Canto 200.2 amp with Aerius' and SL3's and it was wonderful for 2-channel listening.

Not sure how the pricing is on Meridian in Italy, but you might want to consider a Meridian 565 or 568 preamp as a do-all system. .

Thanks, but as I said before, maybe it's not wise to invest money into a processor that doesn't know anything about the new HD coding algorithms...even if you can think of buying a new HD-DVD or BR player with an internal decoder...what do you think about? (Meridian 568 used is about 1500$)
Thanks
Stefano

Thanks, but as I said before, maybe it's not wise to invest money into a processor that doesn't know anything about the new HD coding algorithms...even if you can think of buying a new HD-DVD or BR player with an internal decoder...what do you think about? (Meridian 568 used is about 1500$)
Thanks
Stefano

Understandable, I'm using a PS3 as my main source right now...:) The funny thing is that the PS3 has a better picture with Blu Ray than even the best DVD player you can get, and now it upsamples DVD's and CD's as well.

For cheaper receivers, rather than Onkyo or Denon, you might want to check out Cambridge Audio. I've used their 540r in the past and it's a nice step up from the mass-market items. The older Arcams are nice too, and can be found used for under $500 USD, so probably close to that where you are.

COming from a HT background, I run my Aeon i's alone with my Krell 400xi and I love it. I dont miss the background surround at all. That darn Onkyo may not power the Aerius well enough (just my humble opinion). Look for an older Denon 4802 if you have to have a receiver at a decent cost. I ran one on some Sequel II's and it powered them well.

If ya want a Krell though, invest now and buy the surrounds later.

Back