Tampa Bay Circuit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in! We could plan a "caravan" listening session some weekend, preferably on a Sun afternoon. Dates available for me are July 29, and Aug 12 or 26.

Any of those dates are fine with me. How about the rest of you chime in and let us know what dates are good for you. Then we can select a date and move on to the planing stage. Thanks!

Let's shoot for July 29th. If that doesn't work out we can always try a later date.

Sunday caravan

Alan,

I have tried sending you a couple of messages and they keep getting returned by your mail service.
I am interested in Sunday. Send me another mail address or a phn # and I will get in touch.

Brad

Brad, we're on for this Sun 7/29 starting at noon. Please check your PM and call me.

Any other Tampa Bay area MLOC members who would like to join us on 7/29, please reply here, or by PM.

Would love to be able to join you Sunday, but will be leaving Thursday for the West coast for a couple weeks! Another time, hopefully!

Randy

Would love to be able to join you Sunday, but will be leaving Thursday for the West coast for a couple weeks! Another time, hopefully!

Randy

We'll catch ya on the rebound! BTW, any other Pinellas-side ML owners lurking about?

Hey George,

Yes I am going to jump in with the rest of you. I'm in Wesley Chapel at I-75 and Hwy 54. I think Alan has figured out the path of travel for Sunday.

Look forward to the gathering.

Brad

Since I can't start before noon Sun, perhaps Craig and George can hit Brad's place earlier, if he can accommodate that, then all head over to mine. Otherwise, we can cut the time at my place shorter, and squeeze in Brad's after Craig (then George, since Seffner is a straight shot from I-75).

What ever all of you want to do will be fine.

I do have some work I need to do on Sunday morning but I think if George and Craig want to start here at 11:00 that would work.

Let me know what you want to do and I will PM all of you directions to get here.

Updated listening opinions

Here's a brief update on today's Tampa Bay caravan listening session. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to Brad's, so will let the others comment on his sonics, as well as mine.

Craig's updated setup, with his new Wadia 581i directly feeding his Electrocompaniet monoblocks, was jaw-dropping incredible, playing back redbook CD's, SACD's, and streaming from his Squeezebox. Craig has been experimenting with lots of room treatments, and his efforts have really paid off. The synergy of the entire setup yielded extraordinarily tight bass (the best I've ever heard with Summits), with exquisite resolution, detail, and imaging. The midrange and highs were incredibly clear, with an organic and lifelike presentation, that, IMHO, sounded better than tubes! For comparison, he swapped in his 20 W Art Audio Jota tube amp, which drove the Summits cleanly, but IMHO lacked that last 5% of resolution compared to the Electrocompaniets. Overall, I'd give Craig's setup an A+.

We next headed over to hear George's system. Since I last heard his setup, he had rotated everything 180 degrees in his room, eliminating the sonic imbalance from an off-center fireplace. He had also replaced his Simaudio Moon pre with the Pass Labs (? X series), feeding his X350.5. The new setup had prodigious power and superb imaging, driving his ML Aeons, with a Paradigm servo sub nicely dialed in. George has just started adding room treatments, so his room was definitely brighter and a bit boomier, than Craigs. We all had suggestions on where to best locate his smartly built DIY bass traps, and some other acoustic treatments, as well as perhaps reorienting his sub. Overall, his system had sparkling detail from top to bottom, and with additional room treatments, should compare favorably with Craig's. Overall, I'd give his setup an A- on sonics at this point, but with the X350.5 as the foundation, he'll be "graduating with high honors" once he finishes with room treatments.

As usual, I returned home with a bit of remorse, realizing I still have a ways to go yet, to achieve both Craig's and George's level of sonic achievement. I'm hopeful that most of my systems failings are due to poor room acoustics, which I'll be focusing my efforts on for the near term. After hearing the other systems today, I'm demoting my setup to a B+ grade. Gotta run now and do my homework!

Yes, I have some pics, I'll post sometime tonight. Alan, thanks for the write up. I enjoyed the listing sessions very much.

Brad's Equipment. By the way, his system performed Outstanding!

TBLS-Brad-07292007-a.jpg

TBLS-Brad-07292007-b.jpg

TBLS-Brad-07292007-c.jpg

TBLS-Brad-07292007-d.jpg

TBLS-Brad-07292007-e.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back