System #200 (Vantage)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulo m

Reaction score
This is no longer my system. I have sold the Vantages and replaced them with a pair of Analysis Audio Amphitryons. An image of the new system (and room) can be found further down this thread, here.

The old images of the system are kept for historical purposes and to maintain the integrity of the discussion along the thread.

Member Name: Paulo Mouat
ML Model(s): Vantage
Year Purchased: Feb 2006

Associated Electronics:
Pathos Logos amp
Esoteric X-03 SE CDP
Slim Devices Squeezebox 3
Shunyata Hydra 4
Pure Note Paragon Enhanced biwire speaker cables
Pure Note Paragon Enhanced XLR interconnects
Audioquest King Cobra interconnects
Shunyata Taipan Helix Alpha 20A power cable
GIK Acoustics panels

Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
Was not really in the market to buy a system at the time. Out of curiosity stopped by a dealer that I heard carried Martin Logan to see if the ear-opening experience with a pair of Monoliths + Jadis + Krell 10 years prior was still accurate. It was...

The photos below are somewhat fuzzy and the lighting is suboptimal, but they give a good idea. Additional photos in other replies, further down.

IMG_0007.jpg

Overall view of the system, including the listening position.

IMG_0014.jpg

The system, now from the left.

IMG_0029.jpg

The Pathos Logos hybrid integrated.

IMG_0026.jpg

The great Esoteric X-03 Special Edition.

IMG_0013.jpg

The back of the left Vantage, with the Paragons in biwire

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind words. I spent almost two years without a camera and guess what I did when I just bought a new one ;)... Next steps for the system are platforms for the Shunyata and the Squeezebox, plants and diffusors for the wall behind the speakers, some bass traps for the corners and some brass discs to replace the coins under the spikes :D. I am also thinking of adding more rugs--the sound of the system is a bit washed out in certain regions of the spectrum due to the lack of diffusion and bass absorption treatments and surely the parquet floor.

Gorgeous setup! I think a silver Slimdevices Transporter would look/sound fantastic with your system! :D

Fantastic system Paulo..especially the amp looks great.

I'd invest in a more comfortable listening chair next :p

Greetings Huey

Beautiful setup in a extremely tasteful room!

I’ll think you’re right that some extra rugs in de the room (floor or wall) may make a noticeable improvement in the sound quality.

My listening position was a bit too close to the wall behind me and it this resulted in rather harsh high tones. These fantastic speaker are still ML’s and need some fiddling before they’ll give their best.

regards,

Erry

Beautiful, simple set up. Very Nice. I've always been a fan of the Pathos amps. I was this close (fingers about a quarter inch apart) to buying a Classic One Mk II a few weeks ago for an office system. What made you go with the integrated as opposed to the Twin Towers? I do love the way they integrate the company name into the heatsinks on that amp (you should post a photo of that for those who haven't seen it).

Great looking system that I'm sure sounds as good as it looks!:D

Beautiful, simple set up. Very Nice. I've always been a fan of the Pathos amps. I was this close (fingers about a quarter inch apart) to buying a Classic One Mk II a few weeks ago for an office system. What made you go with the integrated as opposed to the Twin Towers? I do love the way they integrate the company name into the heatsinks on that amp (you should post a photo of that for those who haven't seen it).

Great looking system that I'm sure sounds as good as it looks!:D

When I bought the system, I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ on the TT. My plan was for a Classic One Mk II, an Arcam CD36 and a pair of Aeon i's. That gives you an idea of the budget I had in mind. After a few auditions, I felt there was something lacking and the dealer replaced the Classic One with the Logos--big improvement in clarity and airiness. The Logos was in, the Classic was out. On a whim, after I heard there was new line of MLs coming, I replaced the Aeon i's for the Vantages when I ordered the system. So, these two 'upgrades' meant the budget was already overstretched and there was no room for more.

Little did I know that 6 months later I would be replacing the Arcam with a proper CDP ;) and that 18 months later I would be seriously considering spending more than $20k in a new amp + preamp combo :D.

I should add that I never heard the TT, although the dealer had one on demo. Besides the price, I think another reason why it was never considered was the much less power it had. However, when I was upgrading my CDP, I heard the Inpol 2 and boy, it was great... So much air and refinement. The qualitative jump from the Classic One to the Logos is comparable to the jump from the Logos to the Inpol 2. If you are in the market for a $10k amp, I strongly suggest you try it out. Interestingly, in that session I also heard the Endorphin CDP, which was really good, but didn't make it against the Esoteric.

Here are some additional photos.

IMG_0015.jpg

The Vantage, from below.

IMG_0030.jpg

The sculpted heatsinks on the Logos.

IMG_0032.jpg

The back of the Logos, showing the black mirror face-plate. The Esoteric is on the XLR, the Squeezebox on the RCA.

IMG_0038.jpg

The back of the Esoteric, showing the (unused) WBT RCA connectors for both audio out and digital out.

And yet more photos, for completeness.

IMG_0033.jpg

The minute (only in size but not in sound!) Squeezebox 3.

IMG_0035.jpg

The Hydra 4.

IMG_0036.jpg

The back of the Hydra 4. Plain power cables for the amp, source and speakers (for now) and the Taipan Helix connected to the wall.

Am I correct in assuming you're feeding the Squeezebox analog outs direct to the Pathos? If so, you're REALLY missing the full potential of the Squeezebox paired with an outboard DAC. Too bad your Esoteric X-O3 doesn't offer digital input.

Out of curiosity, how much time do you listen to streamed music, vs. spinning CD/SACD's?

That Pathos integrated is an incredible piece! Never saw it before, and it's really got me drooling!

Nice setup. Where did you get the stands that hold your acoustic absorbtion panels?

That Pathos integrated is an incredible piece! Never saw it before, and it's really got me drooling!

Took the words right out of my mouth! If that thing sounds half as good as it looks you must be in Heaven :music:

Am I correct in assuming you're feeding the Squeezebox analog outs direct to the Pathos? If so, you're REALLY missing the full potential of the Squeezebox paired with an outboard DAC. Too bad your Esoteric X-O3 doesn't offer digital input.

Out of curiosity, how much time do you listen to streamed music, vs. spinning CD/SACD's?

I know how much better the Squeezebox is via an outboard DAC. I've pondered getting a DAC-1 for a long time and the only reason I didn't get one is that the Meitner DAC is making me itch. At that point I would probably sell the X-03 (or perhaps use it as a transport). But I'll upgrade the rest of the system before I upgrade the CDP--I am seriously considering a pair of VTL MB-450 monoblocks with the 6.5 preamp, and am holding off from upgrading to Summits until I see (and hear) the CLX.

I probably listen to 50-50 streamed vs. CD/SACD. I was caught by surprise there, never expected to listen to this much streamed music (the SB3 was a christmas gift from the wife). In hindsight, I probably should have gone with a top DAC (i.e. the Meitner) and stream all of my music. But then, it's easy to say that now.

Back