Opinions on Beemers and similar (cars)?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveInNC

Reaction score
So, I have a fourteen-year-old Del Sol VTEC. I really like it, but it's starting to let me know that it's fourteen years old... I have a full-size 4x4 truck too when I need to carry/tow stuff. The truck rides better than the car...

I'm in my late fourties, so while I still like to haul ass on occasion, and still drive the VTEC like a moderately crazy person, creature comforts are becoming more important to me, along with the idea of a four-seater (either coupe or sedan).

In no particular order, I''ve been looking at:

Inifiniti G35/M45/ and pending G37
Audi A4/A6 (relatives own each, and I've been impressed with them in general)
Acura TL/TSX
BMW 328i/335i (I want the 328i hard convertible, but they can't be found anywhere).

At present, I'm leaning hard towards the 335i with a sport pkg, premium pkg, 6-speed auto.

The auto magazines debate each other as to the superiority of the 335i .vs the G37: one claims the beemer still wins, the other claims the G37 wins (albeit the 335i seems to win all of the specs in the latter comparison except price - just purchased the mag so I haven't seen their rationale yet...)

So, if you have a BMW, do you like it? problems? dealer hassles?

If you have an Infiniti G35 (or a 37 if you "know someone" :) ), same questions?

Other contenders such as the Audi, or brands I haven't mentioned chime in too?

FWIW, I have no problems with domestics - about half the cars I've owned were domestic - I just don't see anything of a similar calibre domestically at the moment.

Any german car will be enjoyable to own and drive IMHO. They just require more upkeep. :) I love my VW!

Any german car will be enjoyable to own and drive IMHO. They just require more upkeep. :) I love my VW!

+1 on that first part. Go German and you will be hard pressed to actually enjoy anything else! They are really hard to beat. I think they offer the best blend of performance and comfort too...remember most of the (or at least the companies that make them) have been doing fast comfortable cars for the 'bahn for decades!

The new 335i Coupe is a heck of a car. Nearly as good as the last M3, and that was some kind of good car!

Of course I am partial to the Porsche's but you didn't list any of those as options...

Steve,
I've owned 3 Del Sols, The last one being a '97 Vtec with an aftermarket turbo charged engine giving it 215 HP. I know to others reading this 215HP doesn't sound like a lot, but I believe the curb weight on that car was only 1,800 pounds. IT MOVED. Loved that car.

Owned a 318i also and the upkeep costs a fortune. Just about everytime I took it in cost me $1,000. This was 10 years ago. An oil change at the dealer was $50, No other oil change place would touch it,

Wife currently has a Lexus, oil changes at the dealer are just $34. Plus at the dealer we purchased at she gets free car washes as long as she owns the vehicle.

Whatever you decide look into a cars maintenance program and costs, as well as predicted reliability based on previous model history. Being a Honda owner your use to great reliability and inexpensive upkeep, at least for me that wasn't the case with the BMW.

I own a 335i & a Z-4. The 335i is amazing. It replaced my 325i and the car is awesome. My brother in CA just bought one as well and he loves it. He is a Porsche guy buy wanted something to commute with and he LOVES it. He calls me every weekend to tell me that. So, I would go with the 335i. Have you driven one? That will sell you on it.:D If you have problems locating a certain color etc let me know I can probably help.

Go for it!!!

If I didn't drive 25k miles a year, I would have bought one.

My favorite car right now under $50k.

I just talked with my friend last night who happens to be a BMW Master Tech at a local dealership. He said there are some 335i's that have been in the shop for a month, due to high-pressure situations created by the turbos or something. They are in the shop still because the parts are still on backorder. Though no turbo, the 328i's are having some problems too, but Im not sure what. He thinks waiting another year for them to work the bugs out would be prudent, and he happens to always say never get the first generation of any new design. He thinks for the money, get a used or pre-certified M3 from craigslist, and spend the $135 on a BMW inspection. Fwiw.

That all being said, he loves these cars and thinks they are "Sick". Gettin one now is understandable, just that he thinks waiting could prove to be a smart move...

Lets see, one good friend dumped his 5-series for an A6, which he and his wife absolutely love. Im pretty familiar with the g35 as another friend has taken me in it many times. If it matters at all, headroom in the back is non-existent, but thats what you get for such a sexy car. I should say however I am always afraid that I might bite my tongue from hitting my head on the rear windshield on a speedbump or something.

Have yet to ride in an M45, but the reviews are pretty damn rave. The TL could be the best buy out there in this price range/ category. Too bad about the front wheel drive, but people say they don't handle like a typical front-wheel, actually handles decently, or so they say.

This makes me wanna go test drive! Good luck

I'm surprised that you're not considering any Lexus's!

I just picked up a 2007 GS350 AWD. Loving the car so far. I've looked at the 3/5 series BMW, MB E-class, Infiniti G35/G37, as well as the M35.

Lexus has the best customer service/satisfaction/experience. I really like the BMW's but thought the 3 series is too small for me, I can't even fit in one set of golf clubs in the trunk! Same thing with the G from Infiniti. As far as the 5 series/E-class/M35 goes, M35 doesn't have good fuel efficiency due to the 5 speed automatic (but this should change for MY08) and I don't like the interior design, the 5 series and E-class cost about 10k more comparably equipped so I went with the Lexus. The other thing is both 5 series and E class have been out for a few years so they will be re-designed soon. As far as the 3 series goes, get it if space isn't a concern at all.

Keep in mind that the BMW/MB also come with free services within the warranty period, that's probably why they cost a bit more.

I'd also suggest you to post your budget if there is one and what you're looking for in a car so it'd help narrow down the choices.

Last edited:
Have a G35 and I love it. It's my first manual car so I'm learning to drive stick on it as well. It's a really sweet car, I was about to get the 350z and I chose to get the G35 coupe because of the rear seat. Although it's not as roomy as the back seat of a Beemer coupe, it's good enough for my purposes.

If I had the money, I would've waited for the G37 coupe as several car magazines have reviewed it quite favorably against the 335i and the complaints the car has been getting from the forums I visit.

Joey

Must resist. Must resist.

I have a Mazdaspeed3 and I really like it but it's not nice enough for what I was looking for ... I went practical instead of getting what I really wanted ... Unfortunately even with 13K down I think I'd take a bath if I resold it right now.

Should have taken that $13k and bought a 335i instead : /

I'm in my late fourties, so while I still like to haul ass on occasion, and still drive the VTEC like a moderately crazy person, creature comforts are becoming more important to me, along with the idea of a four-seater (either coupe or sedan).

Other contenders such as the Audi, or brands I haven't mentioned chime in too?

Left field - and I am biased after now eight years and 190,000 km of trouble free Subaru ownership.

BMW lovely cars but boy do you pay for that blue and white propellor. Small boot, run flat tyres and if you can't afford a new one you can't afford an old one with high servicing costs.

A number of my acquaintances have come out of BMW 328, 330 etc into upper end Subaru Legacy GT, 3R B etc. We have a tuned by STI version on the Australian market too. In particular one friend has been busily spending the difference in purchase price on a good audio system (not ML - secondary to the local dealer ****ing him off)

The price differential in Australia is in the order of BMW twice the price of approximate Subaru - may not apply in the States

If your heart is set on the BMW then this is all irrelevant. I am not trying to suggest that the Subaru is the equivalent of the 335i though I can certainly frighten them in my lightly modified B4 twin turbo Subaru. Incidentally high performance wagons are cool in Aus. - they don't seem to have a similar cachet in the States.

Kevin

Left field - and I am biased after now eight years and 190,000 km of trouble free Subaru ownership.

BMW lovely cars but boy do you pay for that blue and white propellor. Small boot, run flat tyres and if you can't afford a new one you can't afford an old one with high servicing costs.

A number of my acquaintances have come out of BMW 328, 330 etc into upper end Subaru Legacy GT, 3R B etc. We have a tuned by STI version on the Australian market too. In particular one friend has been busily spending the difference in purchase price on a good audio system (not ML - secondary to the local dealer ****ing him off)

The price differential in Australia is in the order of BMW twice the price of approximate Subaru - may not apply in the States

If your heart is set on the BMW then this is all irrelevant. I am not trying to suggest that the Subaru is the equivalent of the 335i though I can certainly frighten them in my lightly modified B4 twin turbo Subaru. Incidentally high performance wagons are cool in Aus. - they don't seem to have a similar cachet in the States.

Kevin

We don't get the best Subies here. The 243hp Legacy Spec B is the top of the line in the USA. No STI Legacy (we do get the STI Impreza though).

Don't get me wrong, the Legacy is a really fine automobile but in the US it's not in the same category as the BMW.

I don't know how much you follow the American car market but it's very different than Europe. In the states the Legacy competes against the Euro Accord rebranded as an Acura TSX if you can believe it. The Spec B is about US$34k whereas a BMW 335xi sedan is US$40k. Then you start adding things to the BMW to make their content comparable like Sport packages, Leather, (or other options that the Subaru doesn't offer) and suddenly it's $46k.

US$12,000 is a lot of money and I think the difference is enough that many people (for reasons varying from financial to status) won't be cross-shopping the two cars.

I think that at $34k, the Subaru needs at least 260hp and a better warranty to compete here. 3yr/36k at $35k is not good enough (for the US market). BMW offers 4/50 with all maintenance paid. Oil changes to brake pads. Audi offers a better warranty too. Their A4 2.0 Quattro is in the low US$40k range loaded up too.

And yes, estates/wagons here are not that popular. Everyone wants Leviathan SUVs. Personally, I'd rather have a estate/wagon. I've always liked Volvo wagons going back to the 740 Turbo. If I was in the market for a wagon and Subaru offered a Spec B wagon with a 6-speed manual transmission I'd be all over it. Instead, all we get are the Outbacks ... The quasi-SUV wagon. Meh.

I'm surprised that you're not considering any Lexus's!
I looked at some of the Lexi, even drove a GS350 RWD. Pricing it out with the equivalent options between the Lexus and the 335i sedans (as best as you can), the Lexus came in at about $1700 more. In particular, I like that the Lexus is available with a spare, and the Toyota brand is ubiquitous, so you will be able to find a dealership if something breaks. I liked the GS, the BMW just felt sportier/different.

BMW uses run-flats, which a) cost more, and b) alot of people really dislike. The ones on the 18" sport package wheels are supposed to be better than the normal 17" versions.

I really like the BMW's but thought the 3 series is too small for me, I can't even fit in one set of golf clubs in the trunk!
Dude! I drive a del Sol :) I understand your point though. One of the BMW options has a pass-through in the middle of the rear seat, allegedly for skis. I think even the normal versions fold down the rear seats. Looking in the trunk, it seems to be slightly larger than that of the del Sol, keeping in mind that with its high rear deck, the del Sol actually has a large, deep trunk when compared to things like Miatas et al. I certainly don't think that you could get four people's worth of luggage in one, or for that matter, in other cars' trunks in this class.
I'd also suggest you to post your budget if there is one and what you're looking for in a car so it'd help narrow down the choices.
I appreciate all of the input and experiences - that's why we post these Off Topic questions :) I'm looking in roughly the $40k-50k range. An almost-fully-optioned 335i hits right at around $50k, as does the GS350 RWD. Delivery on the lexus is $715, BMW is $775. Then there are always the BS dealer fees like "doc fees" that we all have taken off in negotiation.

The main significant complaint I've seen with the 335i (which I believe someone here alluded to) is that the sport model was really heating up the oil when driven hard. In March, they made a design change and added an oil cooler which has apparently fixed that problem.

The other typical complaints are:

1) the cup holders suck (and we all know how important that is!).

2) the run-flats are not popular, and I believe are "summer" tires by default. I have a 4x4 truck, so other than being surprised by snow, this shouldn't matter.

3) the glove box is too small.

4) the display on the normal radio can't be read with polarized glasses.

Beyond the above, the complaints I found tended to be case-by-case failures, which of course are annoying to those owners, but didn't appear to indicate any particular trend. As mentioned, the warranty is 4 yrs, so anything that does shake out should be fixed in that timeframe.

As to Acura TLs/TSXes: a bunch of the people I work with own them and like them, and it's a Honda, which has proven reliable for me in every Honda device I've owned. I think that the styling is a bit bland. I've kept waiting for Honda to do something different with styling in this class, on the level of the original Integra, NSX, or the del Sol or S2000.

My brother owns a roughly 7 year-old A6 and my mom owns a late-2006 A4, both of which are nice cars for their respective classes. My brother had some transmission problems with his A6, but they were eventually fixed under warranty. He looked hard at BMW too at the time, but the Audi reviewed better. I think that the newer generations of each might have him revisit that.

The 335i .vs G37 coupe comparo that I mentioned (Motor Trend, August 07) gave the edge to the Infiniti in a weird case of WTF? Reading their own test results, the BMW beat out the G37 in acceleration, 1/4 mile, fuel mileage, total weight, F/R balance, cargo volume, and a 6-speed auto .vs 5-speed auto. Plus "...sub-six footers will find ample head- and leg-room in the 335i, along with amenities like a center armrest, A/C vents, reading lights, and good outward visibility - none of which our Infiniti affords."

The G37 had more front leg room, but less back leg room (obvious trade-off), more HP but less torque, higher redline.

And in the ultimate WTF?, the BMW was "...procured by Infiniti" for the test.

The main difference cited was the roughly $7K higher price of the BMW.

I'm still looking at everything - I just happened to test-drive the BMW 335i sedan before writing this :) Boy was it fun!. The sales guy is English and moved here from Germany where he worked for BMW and owned a 3-series. He commuted 200 miles a day, at roughly 140 mph :eek:. He also used to race his own Lotus, so isn't easily scared during a test drive :), and has a very relaxed European sales attitude.

Things I liked about the 335i sedan in particular:

The car pulls like a train. Hammer the gas from a stop, and it just - keeps - accelerating. And it just occurs to me that this was with the A/C on.

As he pointed out, when you merge onto the interstate, you suddenly notice that you're doing 85, but it feels and sounds like 55.

Buttoned up, the car is very quiet. I heard no road noise, nor did I hear vehicles passing through a busy intersection in front of me.

You feel the road, but not in an uncomfortable way. This is on 18" rims with R35 tires, basically rubber bands. Note that I'm comparing this to my normal del Sol and a pickup, so a Cadillac owner might have a different opinion...

The interior is tastefully done in leather, with real burl wood dash. The gadgetalia is over the top, with iPod/USB integration, Bluetooth phone integration, rain sensing wipers, three garage door/remote buttons, personalized mirror-seat-radio-environment settings based on which keyfob you're carrying, and so on.

The brakes were a bit touchy, but the car only had 80 miles on it. They pulled it down to a stop very quickly, with no attempt to wander or squeal the tires. During the on-road test drive, we took it to an empty parking lot and I pushed it hard through corners and S turns, hammering the gas or brake as warranted. I was impressed...

Keep the opinions/suggestions coming.

We don't get the best Subies here. The 243hp Legacy Spec B is the top of the line in the USA. No STI Legacy (we do get the STI Impreza though).

Don't get me wrong, the Legacy is a really fine automobile but in the US it's not in the same category as the BMW.

Thanks for the information - wildly different market. Australia also does not do Subaru and BMW in the same breath but our price differential is far greater.

Liberty (Legacy) GT Spec B (2.5 turbo, Bilstein setup,STi 6 speed box) 3yr unlimited kms $55,990 highly speced

BMW 335i $109,000 and here is the option list sir.......

Different game.

Kevin

Summits rrp last time I looked $25,000

Liberty (Legacy) GT Spec B (2.5 turbo, Bilstein setup,STi 6 speed box) 3yr unlimited kms $55,990 highly speced

BMW 335i $109,000 and here is the option list sir.......

Different game.

Kevin

Summits rrp last time I looked $25,000
Ouch! And the exchange rate isn't that skewed (2007.07.15):

United States Dollars
1 USD = 1.15105 AUD

Australia Dollars
1 AUD = 0.868772 USD

True, coming from a Del Sol, space wouldn't really matter a whole lot.

To me, I went with GS because of the quiet/comfortable ride and much more space. It is a luxury sport sedan that's more towards the luxury side. BMW's are more towards the sport side. However, I wouldn't put the 3 series in the same class as the GS. Price bracket sure, but the GS is a direct competitor to the 5 series, which cost almost $10k more comparably equipped.

Get the 335i, you'll be very happy. I really love the coupe design. If space weren't an issue, I'd be driving a 335xi right now!

True, coming from a Del Sol, space wouldn't really matter a whole lot.

To me, I went with GS because of the quiet/comfortable ride and much more space. It is a luxury sport sedan that's more towards the luxury side. BMW's are more towards the sport side. However, I wouldn't put the 3 series in the same class as the GS. Price bracket sure, but the GS is a direct competitor to the 5 series, which cost almost $10k more comparably equipped.

Get the 335i, you'll be very happy. I really love the coupe design. If space weren't an issue, I'd be driving a 335xi right now!

I think the GS and 3er are totally different cars though.

The GS is a rolling vault. I cannot imagine a better luxury experience for the money. Probably the nicest car I've ever been in.

The 3er is the real 4-door sports car. More aggressively damped and much faster it's designed as a driver's car first.

Because of that I think there's no loser here. My own preference tells me I would not shop the BMW if I were looking for the Lexus. I'd be looking at a MB or Lexus or Acura (RL).

Were I looking for the BMW, then I'd look at Infiniti and Volvo as well.

Either car is a fantastic choice and I'd love to own either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back