How to chose a processor?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munster

Reaction score
How to choose a processor?

This is the last piece I need for my 7.1 system (for the moment :)) ive been gathering for the last 2 years and i'm having trouble deciding. It's really hard to audition at dealer given the importance of the other components.
My budget is about 4-6k. Ive dismissed the Krell showcase as it is not upgradeable. Do balanced cables make a big difference? (my amp can do).
After a billion hours on the forums these seem to be the hot choices:
Lexicon mc8
arcam av8
parasound c series
meridian G and theta casablance seem out of my range.
Any advice would be appreciated. 50/50 HT music.

Prodigys - front
claritys - side
frescos - rear
cinema i -center
grotto - sub
krell 7.1 showcase amp

Last edited:
G Series

Hi there,

For your budget you should be able to go to Meridian G Series (I'm UK based, but I would guess that you can get one in that range). You can buy the G68 in many flavours, depending on your requirements. For example, one version is just a processor - it has no video switching and thus the price is lower.

Failing that, try to audition a used Meridian 568.2MM - you won't be disappointed by this!

Cheers,

David

Sonic Fronters has a Statement processor that should be a contender also.

I myself went from a EAD TheatreMaster processor and now use a Yamaha RX-V2400 as a processor alone. HT moves at such a quick pace that the upgrades from the high-end manu. would come too slow and too $$$$.

Upgrade a compromise or add a better solution?

Since you are into music, I would keep the Krell for movies and integrate a good two channel tube pre-amp into your system.

Keep the krell as processor, add a good preamp

The Krell ShowCase is a very capable processor. For music, I don't think there are much discernable differences between these high-end processors like Krell, Proceed, Theta, Meridian, etc.. They all do the same thing: process the heck out of the digital signal for HT. Lots to be desired for music. In this case, I solved it by getting a good musical 2-channel preamp for music and run the processor through the "processor/bypass" input for HT use. For music, the signal starts with my universal player, going into my stereo preamp to the amplifiers. For HT, the signal starts with my universal player, into my processor, going into my stereo preamp (for front mains channels) and out to my amplifiers. For center channel, the signal goes from the processor directly to the dedicated center channel amplifier. For $4-6k budget, you can get your hands on lots of good tubed preamp if music is on your mind. Heck, for that budget, you can get a good tubed preamp AND tube amps for bi-amping with the panels. Good luck.

Spike

Meridian TriField

Have to disagree slightly with the last posting!!

If you've not already done so, get a meridian dealer to demonstrate the trifield mode for 2-channel music. In this mode, the processor actually uses the front 3 speakers instead of just 2. It really strengthens the image, and the quality of sound and imaging will surprise (if not shock) you.

Well worth a listen for any music fan.

Cheers,

David

Meridian & TriField mode

DavidG said:
Have to disagree slightly with the last posting!!

If you've not already done so, get a meridian dealer to demonstrate the trifield mode for 2-channel music. In this mode, the processor actually uses the front 3 speakers instead of just 2. It really strengthens the image, and the quality of sound and imaging will surprise (if not shock) you.

Well worth a listen for any music fan.

Cheers,

David
I do have a Meridian 565 processor and I use it strictly as an HT processor. I really tried to like trifield but it fell short countless of times over the last 8 years when compared with my preamp in my system. Now, it may be the Cinema center channel is not up to the performance level of the ReQuests and not the Meridian which is at fault. Trifield does give you a better focused image, but at the expense of sound quality when compared with my stereo tube preamp.

Spike

i'd really recommend the bryston sp1.7

it has a 2 channel analogue bypass mode to run the music without the digital circuits. i run it that way for reel to reel and my turntable and it really makes a difference.

the only downside to the bryston is no video circuits. they offer a companion video switch that is controlled by the sp1.7, or you can select your own. i went with extron switches and control both with my universal remote.

the bryston offers 13 inputs (6 digital, 6 2-channel analog , and 1 6-channel analog), and very configurable settings. with the exception of the speaker distance and levels, you can tweek the speaker settings for all inputs.

for example, when i had a tube amp for the logos, i only used it for movies. so for tv and vcr i specified no center speaker and the front surrounds (CLS) matrixed in the center channel.

i had my choice narrowed down the mc8 and the sp1.7 and the sp1.7 won out for me.

and the 20 year warrenty is hard to beat

Back