Could this be the Holy Grail of A/V processors?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STV- Thanks for the link.

But man, that's sure not helping my willpower to hold off untill I finish the current project (see posts on that the weekend of the 4th).

This pre-amp sure looks like the cat's meow.

Anyone want a gently used Meridian 568 pre-pro for $950 ?

STV- Thanks for the link.

But man, that's sure not helping my willpower to hold off untill I finish the current project (see posts on that the weekend of the 4th).

This pre-amp sure looks like the cat's meow.

Anyone want a gently used Meridian 568 pre-pro for $950 ?

You're welcome.:)

Yikes that dbx unit is one serious piece.:eek: And integrating it into your setup and getting it all setup and adjusted is no easy feat. I am in awe when I see all the cool stuff you have done with your setup. WOW!

Yes the review on the AVP preamp really goes to show that Denon pulled out the stops on this unit. It really delivers on everything they promised. If you want flexibility, this thing has got it! Also, it's as yet to be officially confirmed, but word is that Denon could be offering a free firmware update in October to include Audyssey Dynamic Volume. This feature would be awesome! I know that I am totally impressed with what this preamp can do.

Seth

Well, willpower crumbled and timing plans shifted when FatJ offered me a deal on an unopened box AVP.

So, hopefully by next Thursday, I'll be trying to make room in my rack for a new AVP :cool:

Check out the classifieds, as a bunch of my current stuff is up for sale to make room for the new behemoth.

WOW!! That is awesome news Jonathan! A BIG congrats to you on your new AVP.:) Now the anticipation for it to arrive! Thanks for sharing that most excellent news with us.

Seth

Last edited:
Well, willpower crumbled and timing plans shifted when FatJ offered me a deal on an unopened box AVP.

So, hopefully by next Thursday, I'll be trying to make room in my rack for a new AVP :cool:

Check out the classifieds, as a bunch of my current stuff is up for sale to make room for the new behemoth.

Jon,

Congratulations, you are going to have an ear to ear smile. I'm using a Denon 3800CI and have been impressed with it's sonics and flexibility. I can only imagine how much sweeter the AVP must sound? I'd love one for the balanced sub outputs!

Yep, balanced outs is a big reason I went for this unit.

I can now remove the Jensen transformers between the preamp and the DriveRacks (which are balanced only).

I'll now have a fully balanced rig from pre-amp through amps.

Sources are now all (well, except for rarely used legay systems, like the VCR) digital feeds, either Optical, Coax, DenonLink3 (SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V/CD) or HDMI.
DenonLink3 was another major reason to get this unit, as it is one of the few (only?) to support an all digital path for DSD or MLP audio streams

My most frequent source, ripped 16/44 .WAVS of my CD collection are actually processed directly in the preamp now! How's that for zero jitter balanced feeds? :cool:

Very cool Jonathan. The AVP offers a lot of flexibility, and options. I've already had mine for over three months and I am still learning new things about it. This this is loaded! I believe that this piece will go a long way at putting the Denon name back into the High End realm of things. I have been seeing so many Krell, Lexicon, Theta, Anthem owners switch over to the Denon AVP, and they are happy as can be! Denon really has something special with this product.

Everything that it offers and it being a fully balanced design from input to output is pretty awesome.

Seth

Last edited:
Podcast interview with Jeff Talmadge of Denon

Here is the first in a series of Techcast interviews held by Gene DellaSala of Audioholics. The following is a lengthy discussion about the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and Denon POA-A1HDCI. But the interview also covers other Denon products in development (including what could very well be the ultimate universal Blu-ray player). An excellent listen.

Podcast interview with Denon's Jeff Talmadge

DenonLink3 was another major reason to get this unit, as it is one of the few (only?) to support an all digital path for DSD or MLP audio streams ...

Well, I should have read my Denon 2930 manual a little more carefully, it only supports 2Ch SACD over DL3. DVD-Audio multichannel works fine over DL3.

The higher end Denon players support it and the upcoming 'universal' might as well.

Well, I should have read my Denon 2930 manual a little more carefully, it only supports 2Ch SACD over DL3. DVD-Audio multichannel works fine over DL3.

The higher end Denon players support it and the upcoming 'universal' might as well.

Well that kinda sucks that the 2930 only does 2 channel SACD via DenonLink 3. But at least now you know why you are only getting 2 channel.

So as not to spend a fortune, many have used the Oppo with very good results. So maybe get an Oppo in the interim until Denon releases their do it all Blu-ray universal player early next year. It looks to be one extreme player.

Seth

Yep, balanced outs is a big reason I went for this unit.
Jonfo...

I know you are a big Meridian fan, so I was very surprised you did not go that route? My curiosity more than anything, but what was the main reason for going with the Denon over Meridian equipment?

Hopefully, the Denon proves to be a worthy component for you.

Dan, this is what I posted over on the M-Forum about the switch:

I've only had a 10 or so hours of critical listening, but I find the Denon to be quite transparent. No 'edge', and my MartinLogans are quite revealing of subtleties like that if they're there.

Playback of .WAV files directly within the preamp is amazingly clean. Better than my HTPC (with M-Audio ASIO drivers) feeding via coax digital a 518->568.

Likewise DVD-A via DenonLink3 is incredibly detailed and accurate.

I also was a skeptic of this piece initially, but upon closer inspection, it really is a 'statement' piece that is well engineered and very much overbuilt.

I'll be doing a few A/B's between the AVP-A1HD and the 568 (via Balanced 3ch only, as that's all the balanced out on a 568) next weekend.

I'd would have happily given $7K to M for a new preamp, and desperately wanted to do so for the past two years, but they've just not supplied one that I feel is worth it.
And now, for 20% more coin, they still aren't.

In this current world of Multichannel surround sound, I believe they need to stay more current with codecs, Interfaces and video integration, etc.

It's not like 2ch stereo where audiophiles can stay stuck in past paradigms, just swapping one shinny box for another that essentially does the same thing.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on M and might rejoin at some future date if they release compelling gear.

Dan, this is what I posted over on the M-Forum about the switch:

I've only had a 10 or so hours of critical listening, but I find the Denon to be quite transparent. No 'edge', and my MartinLogans are quite revealing of subtleties like that if they're there.

Playback of .WAV files directly within the preamp is amazingly clean. Better than my HTPC (with M-Audio ASIO drivers) feeding via coax digital a 518->568.

Likewise DVD-A via DenonLink3 is incredibly detailed and accurate.

I also was a skeptic of this piece initially, but upon closer inspection, it really is a 'statement' piece that is well engineered and very much overbuilt.

I'll be doing a few A/B's between the AVP-A1HD and the 568 (via Balanced 3ch only, as that's all the balanced out on a 568) next weekend.

I'd would have happily given $7K to M for a new preamp, and desperately wanted to do so for the past two years, but they've just not supplied one that I feel is worth it.
And now, for 20% more coin, they still aren't.

In this current world of Multichannel surround sound, I believe they need to stay more current with codecs, Interfaces and video integration, etc.

It's not like 2ch stereo where audiophiles can stay stuck in past paradigms, just swapping one shinny box for another that essentially does the same thing.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on M and might rejoin at some future date if they release compelling gear.

That is awesome Jonathan! Glad to hear that you're enjoying your new preamp as much as I'm enjoying mine.:) And over the course of a month or two, it's only gonna get better.:D Waboman is also really enjoying his as well. That makes three AVP owners here. Very cool!:cool:

Yes I also have found the sound more detailed and accurate than what I was hearing from my Sunfire TGIII. I am hearing subtleties in music now that I never heard before on the TGIII. Channel separation is also better on the AVP than it was on my TGIII.

I agree, .WAV files through the AVP sound amazing! The resolution and soundstage of music is wide and deep. And is so good that I rarely listen to physical CD's anymore. And since HDCD encoded music and DTS encoded music (thanks for the heads up on that;)) go through when streamed, I can really enjoy all my music collection.

And at some point in the time (like next year when Denon releases their Blu-ray Universal player), I will then be able to use DenonLink 4. Because in the interview with Jeff Talmadge, he mentions that the new player is designed to work with the AVP via DenonLink. That is going to be one heck of a nice machine. I can't wait till it comes out.

Yes the Denon AVP-A1HD is indeed a "Statement Piece", and as such the engineers at Denon pulled out all the stops on it. Back when I was looking for a replacement for my TGIII, I was willing to go as high as $12,000 for a pre/pro if it offered everything I needed/wanted. There were/are no pre/pro's that offer all that the AVP does. So my thought is why pay more for something that gives less. Right now all the specialty high end brands are feverishly trying to play catch up. And even so still are way behind in terms of flexibility, features, functions, and connectivity.

This is why more and more I see former Krell, Lexicon, Anthem, Meridian, Halcro, etc. owners going with the Denon AVP. And these people only buy what is a worthy replacement to what they were using.

I see the Denon AVP staying current technology wise for some time.

Seth

Last edited:
Back