A House of Blues (lights at least)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwa

Reaction score
Now that I have it all dialed in with the aid of the esteemed Monolith mentor, JohnFo, I thought I would share the new (to me anyway) addition to the ML and audio collection. The HT set up remains intact but I have added a dedicated 2 channel system for my “man cave” slash home office.

I managed to find a pair of very nice Monolith III’s with an active XO and with JohnFo’s help, I managed to get them to sing even in a somewhat odd room for these ginormous but glorious relics. Johnfo ran me through a kind of Monoliths for dummies course and although I have yet to pass the class, I am so much further ahead for having his support. John: My sincere thanks!

In any event, I looked at a lot of speaker options when I decided to add a two channel system back into my life but nothing resonated literally and figuratively for me as much as the Monoliths.

To complement these monsters I bought a new pair of McIntosh 501 Mono Blocks (one for each panel) and I am using an older McIntosh 2205 stereo amp to drive the woofers. Plenty of power and a warm blue glow through the Salamder grills. I also purchased a new McIntosh C46 Pre-amp and 201 SACD player to round it all out so the last thing to do is to hook up the turn table but I have to work out the placement as the logical spot is too close to the speakers and the vibration is significant at volume.

I am still considering adding a separate sub to the system but I am not really sure I will like it better or find the sound as natural. I have a sub but not one with inputs which is what is called for to do it right via the active XO according to master John. I never doubt the man at this point and based on the brief exchanges and previous posts, I may end up going the full on equalization route that he suggests anyway.

I believe it is my room or my current placement but I found that the sweet spot for these speakers is extremely narrow but when you are in the pocket they are nothing short of mind blowing. They sound great from any point in the room but when you are in the “zone” the thump and dimensioning is just astounding.

Sorry for the self indulgence but I am enjoying the new set up rarely use the HT anymore unless its for a movie.

Attachments

• IMGP0009 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0009 (Large).JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMGP0010 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0010 (Large).JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 282
John,

VERY, VERY Tasty! I also see a Speed Racer pic and some Strats...a man after my own heart (well, I don't own any Fender guitars, but I have an Acoustisonic Jr. amp... I like my Abyss custom guitars and Parker Fly's)!

Love all that Mac gear! SA-WEET!!

Happy to host and meet some like minded souls who all seem to have more hands on knowlege about the inner workings of this audio fixation we all have. I know what sounds good to me and can follow directions if they are real clear (preferably in crayon) but that is about the exstent of it.

To that point, I echo what many have said over the past few day that I really am bumed I could not make it to Kansas. Even more so after seeing all the amazing shots and glowing faces.

The strats don't get much play these days but I have noticed a number of other members are guitarists.

That is indeed the Mach 5 with Speed, Trixy, and Chim-Chim just past the hood and out of sight. I actually have about 5 different signed originals from the series. My kids think I'm a "Dork" but my 17 year old son put one in his room. Go figure.

Power Power!!! Power!!!!

Those are amazing :eek:

I have only ever seen so much MAC goodies at a store, never in a home! Especially with MONOLITHS!!:bowdown:

So what you're saying is that when ever any MLC member is in the area we can come check those out right? :p Just kidding, but not really. Seriously, that is an impressive setup. :bowdown:

I can only imagine what its like to listen to some good blues through those, I can understand completely why you are doing more 2ch nowadays then HT......

I understand completely.

Johnwa, what a gorgeous Monolith based system! When we were in Lawrence last week the ML folks emphasized how emphatically they service ALL ML models ever made and can still make new panels for the Monolith. Several of the employees said the Monolith was their all time favorite ML speaker.

Thank you for the kind words and the offer to listen first hand is genuine and holds for any member of this forum if they want to make a trek up North.

The Monoliths seem to need a little more attention and tuning but aside from the Statements which are a pipe dream, unless I want to bring on divorce proceedings, they are my favorite choice. The Summit's and other newer models have a number of advantages and there are already killer deals out there if you are patient but these air movers are it for me. The good folks at ML are doing Gods work.

Amazing system! However, I *have* to say it.

That TV has GOT to go, it is visually holding back your system.

A lot.

-Allen

LOL that is right on the money my friend and I had actually delayed sending this out as that tube is really an eye sore accept for when its on. I had plans to put a 55 inch plasma for that wall but that was before all the reciepts for the equipment started coming in. My wife is great about this kind of stuff but she has these crazy notions about vacations, funiture, house maintanance, food for the kids . . . . .

I have to say some peoples priorities are hard to understand but thats life. I promise I will update later when I the sting wears off a bit. For the record that is actually a HDTV but I agree it is just sad.

Here is what I bought for a new room we added and will do the same when I can. By the way that room is begging for another smaller ML HT set up via passages etc. I will wash cars if I have to.

Attachments

• Plasma with Passages and speaker craft coming (Medium).jpg
    Plasma with Passages and speaker craft coming (Medium).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 224
A friend had that same TV and just sold it. While it's HD it bugged the (^&* out of us watching it because the non-HD channels from the cable box would be double-letterboxed. The cablebox put out widescreen letterboxes top and bottom, but it's a 4*3 picture on basic channels so it cut the sides, too. This might not be a problem if you have better cable service than we do here. It did look better than any of the other HD tubes in the store, though, including Sonys. The Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD is widely available for around $1300 and is absolutely stunning for that money. We have one here and three of my friends have it, too! :) The only downside to the Westy IMO is it doesn't have variable audio outs, but since 98% of people that buy them use HT receivers that's not a problem for most people.

If nothing else, I'd be concerned about the mind-numbing weight of that TV buckling the shelf and crushing all that pretty blue gear! :D IIRC, that thing closes in on 300 pounds.

Last edited:
thank you eknuds and once again I have to agree Mototoad that the set has to be high on the replacement scale. However, the standard def channels are not bad (Comcast with Microsoft SW in the STB). The weight is nuts for sure but it can't be 300 lbs as I lifted it myself and if it was that heavy given how ackward it is, I am in much to good of shape to have to excercise.

The amps aren't exactly light either but I made sure the cabinet could take the load. I imagine if I dust the top once in a while I will be ok.

, I'd be concerned about the mind-numbing weight of that TV buckling the shelf and crushing all that pretty blue gear! :D IIRC, that thing closes in on 300 pounds.

I would be surprised if it weighed that much since I have the RCA 16/9 CRT and it's a 38" tube weighing in @ 250lbs.

Monoliths and Mac.... Cherian will be all over this when he gets home tonight to post.

Joey

PS
Nice system.... :music: .

Now that I have it all dialed in with the aid of the esteemed Monolith mentor, JohnFo, I thought I would share the new (to me anyway) addition to the ML and audio collection. The HT set up remains intact but I have added a dedicated 2 channel system for my “man cave” slash home office.

I managed to find a pair of very nice Monolith III’s with an active XO and with JohnFo’s help, I managed to get them to sing even in a somewhat odd room for these ginormous but glorious relics. Johnfo ran me through a kind of Monoliths for dummies course and although I have yet to pass the class, I am so much further ahead for having his support. John: My sincere thanks!

John, you are more than welcome, and congrats on a fine looking setup.

Those Mac amps sure look nice, and of course can deal with those big panels with no problem.

There are some room treatments you might want to play with to increase your sweet spot.
We can pick up that in another thread if you like.

Bottom line, glad you are enjoying these fine speakers. They really are unique.

them's some big speakers! Looks like my 55" plasma on your wall in that one pic :music: Awesome Mac equipment, very classy!

Thanks Joey! Look forward to Cherian's coaching or whatever.

Coolcobramatt: The plasma is a 55" Hitachi Director Series which I would love to have the equivilant down stairs in my home office.

Johnfo: Again without your help I would still be tweaking and I still plan on at least trying the sub and EQ paths you have talked about. On issue is a test is really an investment as there are no try and buy offers around here.

I definately could use some treatment advice and have tried different speaker postions but the current placement works best in the present "untreated" mode.

thank you eknuds and once again I have to agree Mototoad that the set has to be high on the replacement scale. However, the standard def channels are not bad (Comcast with Microsoft SW in the STB). The weight is nuts for sure but it can't be 300 lbs as I lifted it myself and if it was that heavy given how ackward it is, I am in much to good of shape to have to excercise.

The amps aren't exactly light either but I made sure the cabinet could take the load. I imagine if I dust the top once in a while I will be ok.

Nah, I wouldn't be worried about it. That piece of Salamander gear can hold in excess of 700 lbs. They know how to build that stuff. Wonderful looking setup. It makes me want to upgrade the Rotel I have on my Vistas.

Nah, I wouldn't be worried about it. That piece of Salamander gear can hold in excess of 700 lbs. They know how to build that stuff. Wonderful looking setup. It makes me want to upgrade the Rotel I have on my Vistas.

+1 on the Salamander Synergy line. It is rock solid and can hold lots of weight.

Even my 7' tall x 4' wide set of Synergy racks is planted solidly (but then the 500+ Lbs of gear on it helps press down ;) )

Wonderfully insane! I am actually thinking of using the Adona Racks below as I bought two but my wife did not like them. She has softened a bit and although I don't look forward to moving all the kit, it is time to work on the room treatments. Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• Adona Rack (Small).jpg
    Adona Rack (Small).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 62
Back