Joey's Meet 2007 Experience

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
The People:
Tom - Deep manly voiced bear... nothing else can be said that hasn't been said about the Prez!
Dave - Perpetually smiling, multi-hobbyist! A great friend that I am happy I made! Someone I look forward to communicating with, visiting, and trading jokes with until the end of this hobby of ours.
Tim - Paris Hilton, need I say more? I love this guy! Now I know that I have someone to visit if I end up in Colorado and a definite RMAF buddy!
Cherian - The party animal of the group! Beer and more beer, beer is definitely Cherian's M.O.
I owe a lot to this guy, if not for him, I probably would not have made the gathering as he knows I fall asleep behind the wheel within an hour of driving. Thanks, my friend! Sorry for the early 3am alarm that one night! :)
Rich - Always made me smile! He's a friend and a half! I think Rich reminded me of a big friend I had in high school... sorry if I shook your hand one too many!
Tony - Cool, calm, and always a load of fun whenever we got into conversing! Someone I can emulate.... cool and collected. Like a cucumber.
Alan - What can I say? He was the one person who spoke his mind and spoke for all of us. Definitely a voice of the group. Not to mention, a great breakfast host! He gave me lots of good advice, and not just about audio. Yet, he keeps pushing that god-forsaken Plinius $8000 preamp!!! I think he really wants to drive my wallet to the ground. Definitely loves to spend my meager money! I thoroughly ENJOYED hanging out with Alan!!
Jon - Meticulous and calculating... he is one DIY master. Even the mock-drawing that we drew up at the R&D area was complete with measurements and CAD-like design!
Craig - Quiet, but I'm sure the laryngitis was key in this anomaly. Look forward to meeting with this extremely knowledgeable audiophile in future Meets.
Burke - My co-conspirator. Britney Spears is all I have to say... and the memories flood in!
Wayne - As always, a pleasure to meet up with the guy! Sorry I missed his recent soiree, but always enjoyed catching up with the guy who could barely fit in the hallways of the Holiday Inn! Watch out for the fire alarms, buddy!
Ray - Vinyl guru... nothing else need be said. Friendly, helpful, and someone I look forward to keeping in touch with. A buddy.

The Stuff:
1. Schwaaaag!! Thanks ML corporate!
2. My first 2 vinyl records!!!
DSC01586.jpg

3. My loot! Isn't it great to be the second one called up for the raffle?! Presenting my Black Diamond Racing Isolating Spikes!
DSC01588.jpg

The Memories:
1. Former Mrs. Gayle Sanders comes up to Cherian and asks: "Are you Joey?"
2. Karen stole my CD-Exchange CD from Burke (Grey's Anatomy Season 2 OST)!
3. As soon as I walked in at the c0cktail party... Dave bellows, "Joey!! Come here!!" And quickly squishes my trapezius!
4. Tim plays innocent... then slips the Paris Hilton CD into my Schwaaaag bag!
5. Cherian out like a light bulb at the hotel room.... numerous times.
6. "C+," says Tom.
7. The powerpoint presentation that highlighted my post-whore tendencies and got the crowd going! That was hilarious!
8. Karin, Craig's better-half... "So this is the myth, the man, the legend?"
9. A picture of my setup at the bulletin board of Martin Logan's R&D department!
10. Dave teaching me how to pick out scratches off of a used vinyl record.
11. Buying my first 2 vinyl records.
12. The chick with the hairy armpits at the coffee shop... 'nuff said, Cherian.
13. Ray complicating my wife with vinyl's intricacies at the bar!
14. Me as the designated driver during our soiree at the bar! And the Prez's personal chauffeur!
15. "Why is that woman so close to me?!" As I looked at the rear-view mirror with Tom sitting at passenger, laughing... at me.
16. Burke and Alan yelling.... "THIS IS THE SUMMIT TABLE!!"
17. Tim fueling the local economy with his numerous shopping sprees!
18. "The first beer always tastes the best." - Cherian in the AM.
19. Alan looks at a bunch of skater kids... "That must be the local gang."
20. "The entire police force is tending to that fender bender.... they're just happy they got to turn their sirens on today." - Cherian at downtown Lawrence, KS.
21. "Where's the world's largest ball of yarn?!" - Me
22. "Today.... the roads look clear.... as usual." - Traffic reporter on the local Lawrence, KS news channel.

The Aftermath:
1. Definitely, made lots of friends out of acquaintances from the forum and became even better friends with those whom I already befriended through the forum.
2. Realized that everyone else has much more life-experience than me. Heck, I haven't been anywhere much.
3. My music selection is different from everyone elses (read: limited by comparison), lots of what the guys were talking about, I had not even heard about... much less heard. This is good because it shows that there is much undiscovered stuff that I have yet to enjoy!
4. I think I may be some sort of a mascot for the group.... not sure if this is a good thing....
5. And yes.... VINYL.... here I come.

Closing Comments:
1. Thank you Mr. Prez for hosting such a wonderful affair! I enjoyed my time very very much!!!
2. It was very nice meeting all of you friends out there and it was just so cool how we all clicked and got off rocking from the getgo! Hope to see you all again someday and lets all keep in touch!
3. ML, thanks for everything and thanks for finally recognizing this wonderful community of "SuperFans", as the local newspaper called us.
4. All of you people who sat on your butts at home, you know who you guys are.... Jerry, Dan, Jeff Z, James, Jason, Edwin, Robin, BD, Ken, Kruppy (Bob), Dreamer, Neil.... and many more... you guys missed out. I hope to meet all of you guys someday. Atleast Amey had an excuse (Australia).. and Roberto is chilling in Costa Rica (I wouldn't leave Costa Rica, either). :)
5. I love this place.

Joey

PS
Once I finish the video editing, I'll send DVDs out to everyone who wants one. ;)

Last edited:
Joey,
I’ve hesitated to reply to any of the ML/Lawrence meet threads because I’m so very disappointed that I did not go. Now that it’s over and I see/read all of the posts, I feel like I’ve missed a once in a life time opportunity.

I’m hoping that if there is a future gathering that my vacation/financial situation will cooperate (and that the next gatherings will live up to the first).

Oh and to clear something up :cool: , I was not sitting on my butt this past weekend. My family and about a dozen others went camping. This was the first time for my kids and they have some great memories. Nothing like having a huge squirt gun fight with about 25 kids running circles around you…..when you have the hose. Yes, I soaked them…..:devil:

Nothing like having a huge squirt gun fight with about 25 kids running circles around you…..when you have the hose. Yes, I soaked them…..:devil:

Sounds like YOU had a priceless weekend too!

Back