CD Exchange follow-up

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I just finished playing my CD from the Exchange - JonFo's Compulation.......Jonathan my hats off to you !! Nick Magnus and Martin Orford tracks are great. Martin Orfords opening track - Fusion reminds me alot of Manhiem Steamroller as does the final track - IQ-Sacred Sound, almost like it was off the Fresh Aire V album !

Thanks again !

Should anybody want to do full reviews , by all means add them to the review section !!

I'll post a followup alright....

Yes, Tim... your Paris Hilton CD is great! Nuff said. :D

I just finished playing my CD from the Exchange - JonFo's Compulation.......Jonathan my hats off to you !! Nick Magnus and Martin Orford tracks are great. Martin Orfords opening track - Fusion reminds me alot of Manhiem Steamroller as does the final track - IQ-Sacred Sound, almost like it was off the Fresh Aire V album !

Thanks again !

Should anybody want to do full reviews , by all means add them to the review section !!

Hi Dave, glad you enjoyed the selection of rare Progressive Rock and other tidbits.
Nick Magnus is Steve Hacket's (from early Genesis days) producer and occasional session player. His Hexameron album is very good, but made of unobtainium, as one must order direct from the UK.

Martin Orford is the Keyboardist for IQ and his solo album 'Classical music and popular songs' is pretty awesome in its own right.

And IQ is one of my favorite prog bands, I can listen to their 'Dark Matter' album practically every weekend on the big rig here.
Prog is heavily influenced by classical and has nice, complex orchestrations which are well rendered by the accuracy of the ML's. On Some other speakers, it can sound like mush as the layers are lost in the IM and THD of the multiple crossovers and dynamic drivers.

I did notice an anomaly on the Caroline Lavelle track (which has a really good subwoofer test passage in it), there was an issue with the original rip that I did not notice till I played a test pressing all the way through this week.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed some of the tracks. If nothing else, at least the cover and labels are a ‘unique’ memento of the great weekend ;)

Thanks again for all your hard work on helping put that together.

FYI... for those who liked the Branford Marsalis Trio Jeepy CD they demo'd with the Summits, I've found them online for under $10! Not sure if it's available in vinyl, but I think it was originally released as such.

I stole Patricia Barber's Modern Cool MoFi SACD from someone during the exchange and I'm glad I did. I believe it was Cherians contribution.
I have her Mythologies CD and didn't care for it. But this CD is awesome.
Felt like I was sitting in a smokey jazz lounge hearing them perform, the only thing missing was some herbage. Loved the 3rd track Constantinople.
Chicago gang next time she's at the Green Mill count me in.

Last edited:
Hello Wayne,

Glad you liked the CD. I have to turn my sub down a bit with this CD. This CD is very bass heavy. The only time my neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to turn it down.

Good to see that there's another Prog Fan out there.

My CD had some Gentle Giant, Genesis, Brand X, Bill Bruford, King Crimson, and other stuff. All recorded from my vinyl rig.

I believe Tony nabbed it.

cheers,
Ray

Hello Wayne,

Glad you liked the CD. I have to turn my sub down a bit with this CD. This CD is very bass heavy. The only time my neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to turn it down.

Cherian,
Funny you should say that, But I actually turned my sub off, which I rarely
Have to do.

I finally got my system set back up after the move and found some time to listen to the compilation disc that Dave (twich54) made. It contains a very nice selection of jazz, instrumentals, and easy listening music. Nice diversity on this disc, with everything from jazz to bluegrass, from beegie adair to the Supremes. Some nice Sax; some nice piano. All in all, a very nice disc. Thanks, Dave.

My CD had some Gentle Giant, Genesis, Brand X, Bill Bruford, King Crimson, and other stuff. All recorded from my vinyl rig.

I believe Tony nabbed it.

cheers,
Ray

I did indeed Ray and it is fabulous. I finally got a chance to listen. Even in my current Ref 3 less condition I can hear how well recorded your CD was. Thanks! I love King Crimson!

Latest posts

Back