Impressions of Lawrence, KS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
So prior to coming out to Lawrence for the National GTG I was talking with an old friend and he asked what I was doing this weekend and when I told him I was coming to Lawrence, KS all he could say was WHY?

I don't know how everyone else at the National Get Together feels, but I have to say that I am impressed with the place and have had a great time. Dave (twich54), Shirley (his better half) and I went exploring the other night and found nothing but friendly faces and good recommendations that we have continued to enjoy for the past few days.

Lawrence is a funky college town with a vibrant music industry, great places to eat, ecclectic shops and really good people.

Very fun place to visit. Here's a few shots of "Mass Street", the main drag downtown...

Attachments

• Day2 007.jpg
    Day2 007.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 441
  • Day2 008.jpg
    Day2 008.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Mole Mocha and Fish Tacos...

Lots of fun places to eat here, from higher end Italian cafe's to Bar-B-Que, to brewpubs to latin fusion.

First ever for me was a coffee this morning that was a Mole Mocha - that's right the Mexican blend of chocolate and Chipotle's - sounded funky, but tasted great. Then later after vinyl shopping Dave, Shirley, Ray and I stopped in a fun Latin fusion place wher I enjoyed Fish Taco's while Dave had beef and Ray had carnita's tacos. Shirley being the healthy one in the group had a sensible salad.

From a culinary point of view Lawrence has been a very cool surprize!

In the coffee shop that's left to right Ray (seated), Craig (standing), Dave (orange tee shirt), stranger standing in line behind Dave, Joey next in line, Cherian behind Joey, Shirley (Daves wife sitting next to him) and the back of Karin's head (Craig's wife).

At the Latin place that's Ray on the left and Dave on the right. This was where we were sitting when we saw Joey walking down the street with his new vinyl!

Attachments

• Day2 006.jpg
    Day2 006.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Day2 014.jpg
    Day2 014.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Check it out...

You have to love a place that has as many cool shops as we found in Lawrence. Look at this WAY cool cruiser from Trouble Bicycles! Lots of great music shops in town too. We visited a couple of killer record stores where I dropped some serious coinage...

Attachments

• Day2 009.jpg
    Day2 009.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 449
  • Day2 010.jpg
    Day2 010.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 446
  • Day2 011.jpg
    Day2 011.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 443
  • Day2 012.jpg
    Day2 012.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 446
In the coffee shop that's left to right Ray (seated), Craig (standing), Dave (orange tee shirt), stranger standing in line behind Dave, Joey next in line, Cherian behind Joey, Shirley (Daves wife sitting next to him) and the back of Karin's head (Craig's wife).
Gotcha Tim!! That's not me in front of Cherian.... in fact, Cherian is talking to me in the picture and that's why you see him turning to his right.

And that' stranger with the cap on isnt a stranger, my friend. It's Alan aka Sleepysurf! Our good doctor of the Meet!

Just some interesting tidbits!

At the Latin place that's Ray on the left and Dave on the right. This was where we were sitting when we saw Joey walking down the street with his new vinyl!

I see.... spies! SPIES!!!! :eek: :devil:

Gotcha Tim!! That's not me in front of Cherian.... in fact, Cherian is talking to me in the picture and that's why you see him turning to his right.

And that' stranger with the cap on isnt a stranger, my friend. It's Alan aka Sleepysurf! Our good doctor of the Meet!

Right you are, sorry, I was either tired or slightly drunk or both when I posted that last night!

Again Tim, another excellent recap, I too love that cool cruiser bike. I suspect it wouldn't do to good back on the 'Front Range' !!

Finally got a chance to catch my breath this week. Great write-up!!

It was awesome to meet all of you and your S.O.'s.
The entire weekend was great fun and how can you beat the factory tour, eh?

I think you guys did a spectacular job of setting up this event and I would do this again and again. So why not make it a yearly thing?

It was amazing to see a very much alive and vibrant vinyl music store scene. It pains me to think that I can only find these places in my travels since Florida is a barren desert when it comes to vinyl.

I feel like I did my part to preserve the vitality of vinyl sales by assisting in the successful brainwashing and conversion of Joey. :devil:

Anyway, to the guys that PM'd me over the past week, I'll get to you ASAP!!

Cheers,
Ray

Ray,

Did I forget to mention that I'm glad to see your post? :bowdown: :D

It's been about 4 days since the Meet.... I am very VERY glad I went. I can't say that enough. My impressions of the Meet at Kansas was far better than I initially had expected in my mind.

Joey

Did anyone bring up my making of the longer spikes? Just curious what they thought and if they (ML) will be doing it in the future.

YES! I discussed it with Dave Allen, and he agreed that having the more upright panel DOES improve sonics. He explained the rationale for the more extreme default tilt on later generation models is that the consumer trend is for a SMALLER speaker form factor (regardless if electrostatic or dynamic). With the smaller, and shorter, microperf panel designs, the additional backward tilt helps create a TALLER soundstage in the typical listening environment, or when standing. He didn't say if they'd ever offer a NEW spike option for the Summits, but pointed out that the new Purity (full active speaker) has a reversible base allowing either a back-tilt or pure vertical placement!

I guess they figured that for MOST Summit owners, it wouldn't be an issue. We, however, are the exception, not the rule!

Did anyone bring up my making of the longer spikes? Just curious what they thought and if they (ML) will be doing it in the future.

I, too, talked to Dave Allen.... and he basically told me what he told Alan. He added, upon careful prying, that the reason why the panel is tilted back is purely for improved vertical dispersion, not necessarily a taller soundstage, since the panels are limited by non-linear dispersion.

Dave actually retrofitted the Summits in their listening room with shorter spikes and longer spikes to simulate a 90 degree Summit (no tilt) and wanted me to listen to it. However, as Cherian knows, I had a splitting headache and I could not do any more listening. I declined, but Dave told me they were going to do RTA measurements of it.

Dave said that it is possible that the Summit i, coming out in 2009 or so, will have an adjustable base to accommodate for critical listening and casual listening.

Joey

Latest posts

Back