New to the ML World

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi, I just picked my first pair of Martin Logan's yesterday (ML Sequel II). It was a package deal actually as I was really after the McIntosh gear (MC-7300 and C36) the gentleman was selling with them. I've always been a horn and tubes kinda guy (which is currently in my main system) so this provides a bit different sound. I looked around and noticed this board so joined and thought I'd say hi. Not sure yet if I'll keep the ML's but I do love their looks and lightning fast transient response.

Excellent find! I'm sure you'll find that if you spend the time to set them up in the room (volumes could be written about this) that you'll find it hard to let these go. I've never had an ear for horns but I've not heard any with good stuff pushing them, either. And what's with all the MLs in Texas? :D

BTW, you might find it better not to use your actual email address as your user name. I doubt you'll have trouble on this little corner of the internet but on more populated fora you could get into a spam arena.

Welcome to the ML forum! Hope you stay with us for a long while! I am in Austin just up the road and you have a new neighbor in SA that is a BIG ML fan, you will probably hear from him soon! Steve is a GREAT guy! I suggest you two hook up for a listening day at some point.

Tell me about your horns? I love the Acapella speakers! Avant Garde are not bad either, but I prefer the Acapella's. My most favored speakers right now are the MBL 101's though!

You can check out my system by clicking on the link below or on Audiogon under the "All Out Assault" and the system title is Martin Logan Heaven.

:welcome:
We'd love to hear your opinions on the differences you find between your 'main' and the ML systems.

And what's with all the MLs in Texas? :D
QUOTE]

Well, obviously it's because they're so darned big!! Everything's bigger in Texas, man.

Welcome, Texas42. I'm new here as well, moving from Maggies to ML Ascents a few weeks ago. Still monkeying around with them to try to get them to sound their best, but enjoying them nontheless.

Mike

Welcome Texas 42! We'd love to hear about your horns and tubes! Maybe you could show us some pictures. It must be quite a different sound than we are used to. I heard a Klipschorn once and briefly listened to an Avantgarde Uno once in a dealers shop. Horns are so sensitive and play so loudly. Unfortunately the Uno's bass module had an almost subliminal hum that drove me to want to hurt somebody pretty quickly. You will find lots of tube lovers here.

Welcome..

Welcome Texas 42. I'm new to Texas (San Antonio), but not new to ML. I think you're going to like them. I've had my Aerius's since I bought them new in '93 or '94 up in Detroit. By joining this site, I've found out that it is common practice to vacuum the speakers from time to time. I can't say for sure mine sound any better due to the vacuuming, as I vacuumed them prior to listening to them for the first time in my new house. Oh, and that was the first time I've ever vacuumed them. Others here have helped me identify a ground loop problem with my cable TV. All in all, I think this is a great site with decent people. - Steve

I've found out that it is common practice to vacuum the speakers from time to time. I can't say for sure mine sound any better due to the vacuuming, as I vacuumed them prior to listening to them for the first time in my new house. Oh, and that was the first time I've ever vacuumed them. Others here have helped me identify a ground loop problem with my cable TV. All in all, I think this is a great site with decent people. - Steve

You only need to vacuum them if when they are powered up and no signal is being sent you can hear them quietly sizzling or hissing. They are not normally loud (though they can get some crap on them that makes for a louder sound and most times vacuuming will help that) so you won't hear anything if there is any kind of music or sound being played, but you will KNOW if they need it. If they are not making any noise then don't bother to vacuum them. Mine need it about every 4 to 6 months.

You only need to vacuum them if when they are powered up and no signal is being sent you can hear them quietly sizzling or hissing. They are not normally loud (though they can get some crap on them that makes for a louder sound and most times vacuuming will help that) so you won't hear anything if there is any kind of music or sound being played, but you will KNOW if they need it. If they are not making any noise then don't bother to vacuum them. Mine need it about every 4 to 6 months.

Oh. Thanks James. I've never heard mine sizzle or hiss. Would you have to get your ear right up next to them to hear it? I had some hiss a couple of years ago, but cured it with the line conditioner.

Oh. Thanks James. I've never heard mine sizzle or hiss. Would you have to get your ear right up next to them to hear it? I had some hiss a couple of years ago, but cured it with the line conditioner.

No not that close at all. When I am not playing any music but the panels are powered up (blue "M" or red LED on) and I roll past them I can hear them sizzle. I need to vacuum mine right now as a matter of fact. I need let them power down for 12+ hours sometime this week and then get it out. It is kind of a PITA for me and having so many BIG panels to do does not help either. You would KNOW if they needed to be vacuumed.

Well well imagine seeing you here. It is a small world isn't it? I'll have to stop by for a listen. You driving those with the MC-7300?

You only need to vacuum them if when they are powered up and no signal is being sent you can hear them quietly sizzling or hissing.

While it appears "Pcar's" method works for him, I'm of the belief that if they are showing /sounding signs that vacuuming is needed then you have actually waited too long.

It is actually system / room dependent on the environment they are in, dust, humidity, smoke, pets, etc.

Steve, FWIW, I vacuum mine once a month using a small shop vac and a natural Horse Hair brush. My listening room is centrally air conditioned, no smoking, pet free.

While it appears "Pcar's" method works for him, I'm of the belief that if they are showing /sounding signs that vacuuming is needed then you have actually waited too long.

It is actually system / room dependent on the environment they are in, dust, humidity, smoke, pets, etc.

Steve, FWIW, I vacuum mine once a month using a small shop vac and a natural Horse Hair brush. My listening room is centrally air conditioned, no smoking, pet free.

Yes, I too try to vacuum mine on a fairly regular basis, usually every 2-3 months. Recently however I'd been doing a lot of traveling and I noticed last weekend that I was hearing the type of noises that James was describing. I was freaked out for a bit that something was amiss in the upstream electronics until I remembered that I hadn't vacuumed them in a pretty long time. Once I'd done that the noises were gone.

Back