Rodrigo Y Gabriela

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Artist: Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Title: Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Year of Release: Oct 3rd 2006

This CD starts of with some super flamenco rolls and running straight into high speed jazz/flamenco/rock guitar, Rodrigo y Gabriela's third and eponymous album picks up from where "Live in Manchester and Dublin" left off, with a live feel that leads the listener to expect well-deserved applause following each number.

The album's space is inhabited by the two guitarists alone, with a brief visit from gypsy violinist Roby Lakotos, who delivers a singular storming solo on "Ixtapa" and leaves as mysteriously as he arrives.

This is a superb CD and well worth the $10.99 for the DVD / CD combo on Amazon.

Attachments

• 51ZPXVS3RSL._SS500_.jpg
    51ZPXVS3RSL._SS500_.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 11,169
As you may have read in the Sunday Morning Music thread, I now own this cd too.

It's difficult to put a label their music. As Cherian posted it's flamenco, jazz, and rock acoustic guitar all wrapped together impressively. While listening to this recording you can't help but, stomp your feet and pretend to strum your air guitar along with them.

Recording-wise it's pretty good (in my less then expert opinion). On my system it seems to be a bit on the grandiose scale, and I mean this in a good way, as compared to a very intimate setting that you might expect for flamenco/jazz.

The DVD is a nice addition to the cd package, which provides a 25min or so interview along with some live concert footage. There's also a guitar tutorial for those looking to learn how to play their music.

One thing to note about the DVD, it's volume is mastered pretty high. I just about p00ped a hammer (you need to see Anchorman) when it started up on my system. :eek:

I now need to find their other recordings.

Cherian, turned me on to this at the Chicago Fall 2007 gathering. It is now part of my standard demo discs when people come over, especially if they play the guitar.

I just bought the album last night on reading this thread, and I can honestly say it's a great piece of work. Good engineering behind the music, and well presented overall. Very enjoyable!

FYI... Rodrigo y Gabriela will be on the Jay Leno show TONIGHT! I just saw them in Tampa Sunday, absolutely breathtaking to see and hear (especially Gabriela)! Rodrigo is great too, but Gabriela is a guitar goddess!

Their opening act was also excellent... The Alex Skolnick Trio (think jazz meets heavy-metal)... http://www.alexskolnick.com They later joined Rod y Gab onstage for an extended jam session, starting as a flamenco-flavored version of Take 5 that morphed into a heavy-metal spectacular... great stuff all around!

Back