Is it wrong to want more than 1 system?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Man... you guys gotta tell me, how do we live with only 1 sound? Everytime I hear those Sonus Faber Cremonas, I just want to bring them home... in fact, since clinic let out early today, I'm going to head back to the dealer to take in another listen.... :) :D .

Anyone here have thoughts about a second system or "cheating" from ML?

I'm sure a lot of us are guilty one way or another..... hehehhehe.... :p.

Sure as heck.. I am.

I'm sure there are LOTS of us ML owners who have secondary (or even other PRIMARY systems) that are NOT ML's. Variety is the spice of life.

As for the SF Cremonas, our local Tampa guru Craig had those BEFORE his Summits, so hopefully he'll post his $0.02 worth.

FYI, I'm now back in Summit heaven with my newly tube-rectified Modwright Pre and brand new Belles 350A Reference.

I personally have NO desire to "cheat" on the Summits now, but tomorrow is another day :D

Definitely thinking about Cremonas here... I wont be surprised if it shows up on my front door one of these days. I really enjoy the sound it gives, the Cremonas are very very musical... it's intoxicating.:bowdown:

I definitely want to hear Craig's input as I know he had the Cremonas.

I have a second system in my bedroom. I have Final Sound 400i in the bedroom. I am running them with a NAD pre and Carver A-500X amp. They sound real good. Not as good as the MLs but still very good. For 6 months I had a set of Magnepan MMGs in the bedroom but those are a bit too big for the room.

It isn't cheating. It is more like having more than one child. They are each their own individual and you love them for that. You don't love one more than the other.

I have Martin Logan, Roksan, Apogee, JBL, Altec and several variations of DIY. Not to mention the scores that have rolled through here over the years.

Last edited:
I have a second system in my bedroom. I have Final Sound 400i in the bedroom. I am running them with a NAD pre and Carver A-500X amp. They sound real good. Not as good as the MLs but still very good. For 6 months I had a set of Magnepan MMGs in the bedroom but those are a bit too big for the room.

Which ML are you comparing them (Finals) to?

My main ML HT system uses (4) Scenarios, Depth and a cinema.

I have the Summits, Scenarios in the rear and now.....Thinking about getting some 1000i's now.

please excuse the weird sizing. I could't get it any better.

Last edited:
Because the Final Sound is not a Hybrid design it has zero bass response. A sub is definitely needed. Overall I am impressed with the Final Sound design and look (sounds real good too). I like the sound of my MLs very much. I may not have given the Finals a chance. I got them on a whim for the wife. The finals have a very contemporary look that my wife likes. She thinks the finals look better then the ML and I don’t disagree with her. When I move to the burbs next year the Finals will go into the living room in an HT setup and the MLs will go down in the man-cave.

Is it wrong to want more than 1 system?

I hope not, I'm up to 4+ now. I not only cheat on ML but I also flirt back forth with SS and Tubes.
I'm so bad...Does that make me an audio slut? Perhaps. :devil:

I hope not, I'm up to 4+ now.

Yea, me too... ML in the main/HT system, MBL in the formal living 2 channel system and 2 yes TWO BOSE mini HT systems (one in the bedroom because it is small and gets out of the way, even if it does not cover much of the Freq. band and the other in the garage, because when I am playing w/ cars I am not listening critically anyway)! Not to mention piping music from the main out to the front and back porches...oh, those are BOSE outdoor speakers there...

I hope not, I'm up to 4+ now. I not only cheat on ML but I also flirt back forth with SS and Tubes.
I'm so bad...Does that make me an audio slut? Perhaps. :devil:

Craig,

You got any thoughts on the Cremona?

Joey

They're definitely a favorite of mine. The cabinetry is made with fine Italian woodwork and no veneer used here, it's all hand-worked solid maple. Its hard to go wrong with fine wood, leather and string grilles. The sound is full, nice mid-range and plenty of dynamics. These speakers easily produce plenty of tight bass but require careful positioning to get it right. They're also fairly efficient at 90db Sensitivity. When I had mine I didn't have tube amps, only solid state. I'd like to hear them on tubes.

The Cremona Auditors (with the stands) are on my watch list. They are the monitor version of the same speaker. It's basically the top half of a floorstanding Cremona.

The Krell Resolution Series speakers are very similiar to the Cremonas in performance, build quality, price and looks. From my brief audition of the Krell speakers they seem to have some very impressive bass even in the monitor size.

The only reason I don't have them anymore is because my dealer gave me a %100 trade-in credit for them on a pair of Summits.

However, compared to the Summits they are not quite as detailed nor are they as versatile with bass adjustments. It's hard to beat the overall performance of the Summits. I don't regret moving from the Cremonas to the Summits but as far as traditional cone speakers go they get my vote.

Attachments

• cremona_pair.jpg
    cremona_pair.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Craig,

THANKS much for your valued thoughts on the Cremona. I have them on my sights, but I also have the Auditors on my sights. I've heard the two in a an all-out demo a week ago... in A/B.... I'll save my thoughts for a review later.

Anyway, I'm going to listen to them some more and see if I want to get myself into the SF camp one way or another.

Joey

Joey, if you are into the Sonus Fabers, I would suggest trying JM Labs, even if only to get a different perspective. They aren't as beautiful (although certainly as well-built), but the sound--oh the sound...

Joey, if you are into the Sonus Fabers, I would suggest trying JM Labs, even if only to get a different perspective. They aren't as beautiful (although certainly as well-built), but the sound--oh the sound...

Been listening to JM Labs.... but have not yet found a demo of their Utopia line or their Electra line. Also, I want to hear Ushers.

:D

Been listening to JM Labs.... but have not yet found a demo of their Utopia line or their Electra line. Also, I want to hear Ushers.

:D

Just to clarify, I was talking about the Utopia line, of which I heard the Grande, which in turn restored my faith in cone driver speakers (but still at considerable expense) :D.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the Utopia line, of which I heard the Grande, which in turn restored my faith in cone driver speakers (but still at considerable expense) :D.

Niiice... them Grandes are usually at the top of most people's wishlist. ;)

Back