DIY "Line Array Test" Boxes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon, always appreciate your thoughts/inputs! Thanks!

IB is far from an option at this point. Doubtful that it'll be an option in my next place - I'm pretty much sold on the merits, though. I would definitely give it a try if I had a space that worked. I'm very happy with the quality (and pricing) of my sub right now...so will end up just building 1-3 more (have the 1 box built...will have to build 2 more if I want 4...I wouldn't go for more than 2 in my current space (read:apartment)

Ah, sure, understood. Boxes are much more portable ;)

Your comments on the MLs having great distortion/power handling even at thundering SPLs is very encouraging. I think the removal of the passive X-over is probably an important step.
Yep, I firmly belive that's the reason. Also remember, I have five large ESL's in a relatively medium (16x28x10) sized room.

I'm hopefully VERY close to auditioning some Final Sound 400is, which I think would mate very well with a midbass array...so if they are as good as hoped, I might forgo the planar tweeter line (use them in another design later on) and just go with a closed back (critical Q) midbass array of 8945Ps. I should certainly give the daytons a chance in a closed back config...but in their current dipole configuration, I've come to the conclusion that they're likely underdamped. (I get under/overdamped backwards...) For pure bass performance below 500Hz or so, there shouldn't be a huge difference between the Daytons and the Ushers....but I'm definitely enjoying the sound from the Ushers in their test box much more than I do the Dayton line. Need to do more experimentation...

On the tweeter front...it might be something about being used to having a huge radiating surface in the treble/midrange (which a line might fix) but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about the BG tweeters as I am about the usher woofers. Love the woofers to bits...BG I'm considering alternatives too...Also, using something else would allow me to keep the crossover out of the midrange, which I'd prefer.

I would go for the best midbass you can afford. I splurged with the Extremis and am very, very pleased. Even at super high SPL’s, they maintain utra-low distortion, even when the six of them are moving significantly. You’d think 80hz is high x-over, but even with 24db/octave, they are pumping a good bit of 60hz output, especially up over 100 dB SPL ;)

Highly recommend you consider a line source that goes from 500hz on up, as that will keep the crossover low enough to not interfere with the midrange and highs.

Gee, that sounds like an ESL to me. So either your heretical Final or an ML ESL would do the trick. :cool:

Question for you...wouldn't an IB also be under/overdamped (whichever one results from having too little backpressure) causing it to have less than ideal response? I was under the impression that a critical Q box was ideal for transient response. I just don't know that much about it though.

The IB is a design that assumes equal pressure front and back, so the damping is purely symmetrical from an air resistance point of view. The driver damping needs to be designed to accommodate a zero (or close to) front and rear resistance, so not every woofer out there qualifies. See the FAQ at the Cult. The benefit is no compressed air distortions (like the spring action the compressed air in an acoustic suspension design give on the outward trip).

The downside (and benefit) is you can easily hit xmax, so the trick is to use multiple drivers, that and to get symmetrical counterbalancing forces on the manifold box.
More info on IB’s at the Cult of the infinitely baffled

Yeah, I was referring to keeping each woofer enclosure seperate from each other. The tweeters have a back-cup, so it probably wouldn't matter if I put them in the same enclosure...but that's a different question.

As I see it - Having seperate enclosures/compartments for each woofer

Pros - ??? More rigidity?

Cons, - can't share internal volume (ie, have a 7ft box, with 4 ft of arrays...so you have an extra 3 ft of height to share the internal volume), have to be more precise in placement of braces...to keep each compartment the same size.

What are the pros, really?

I want to build the thing with a curved back, and think I've found a good way to do it. If the finals fit the bill for the midrange+ part, I'd love to build an enclosure that will house it along with the midbass array, and look finished. Basically, I'm jealous of your design :)

Rigidity would be a plus of the separate woofer enclosures, but as you note, it makes for a bigger and heavier cabinet. My sense is that as long as internal resonances and standing waves are correctly accounted for (in the frequency range of operation), then shared space is fine.

Mine is pretty simple in that regards and works fine. A few more cabinet resonances than I’d want if designing this commercially, but fine (and inaudible) for my application.

Just wait until you hear that SL3XC, it’s whole different game…

Thanks a lot...I really appreciate the responses. I'll check out the cult site...I've perused it before...but definitely need to give it a better look.

Yeah, I figure I'm going to make my current arrays closed back at some point...but my plan is to eventually (as finances permit) use the Ushers in another design (the A and P have very similar performance...though the A is a tad better in the bass range...at least when it comes to 2nd order distortion)...but I think i'll probably stick with the Ps, just because they're so close in the range I care about, and I already have 1/6 of the drivers I'll need!

From all the tests I've seen, the Ushers' distortion performance is top of the line (see zaph and mark k's tests) and has pretty reasonable output, though certainly not up to the extremis' level in the deep bass. The look of the 8945P will mate very well with the silver/black look of the 400is. If I love it as much as I hope, I'll probably get another pair of 400is for a second system, along with the other arrays (Dayton RS180s) ...

I'm going to try to make the cabinent rounded back to eliminate standing waves, and just to make my life difficult :)

I'm going to try to make the cabinent rounded back to eliminate standing waves, and just to make my life difficult :)

Good design, and what's life without a few challenges ;)

of the array design? or of the setup? I'm waiting for a snazzy new VTI rack (I know, I know, I need to pick it up)

I heard that there are some more line arrays in progress....tell us more!!!

Back