Ascent i with Fresco?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallp

Reaction score
I'm a proud owner of a pair of Martin Logan Ascent i's and Theater i. I'm seeking advice on surround speakers. I have been looking at both the Fresco (great buy at the discontinued price) and Script i. The Script i would pair better with the ES panel in the Ascent i and Theater i; however, at the discontinued price the Fresco is a very attractive purchase. Are any of you using the Fresco's with a similar setup? What are your thought on using the Fresco's with the Ascent i/Theater i?

Any advice you would be willing to provide is greatly appreciated :bowdown:

Thanks!

Randall

I have listened to a HT system with a set of Claritys in the front and Frescos for the center and rear. I liked the combo very much. The rear channels do such limited duty that I feel you are better off saving the money and investing in a better processor or amps.

The Script i would pair better with the ES panel in the Ascent i and Theater i; however, at the discontinued price the Fresco is a very attractive purchase. Are any of you using the Fresco's with a similar setup? What are your thought on using the Fresco's with the Ascent i/Theater i?

Randall, find a pair of Script or Script i USED. Look on Audiogon.com or on ebay. I thought I saw some on ebay just the other day. They could be the best buy in speakers you ever make! I bought almost all my speakers used off ebay and had GREAT luck with it! Might also check Craigs list for your area...

Randall, find a pair of Script or Script i USED. Look on Audiogon.com or on ebay. I thought I saw some on ebay just the other day. They could be the best buy in speakers you ever make! I bought almost all my speakers used off ebay and had GREAT luck with it! Might also check Craigs list for your area...

Thanks for the info...I've been watching Ebay, audiogon, Craig's List, and the classified section on this site for months and do not recall seeing Script i's for sale. The 2000 dollar a pair price tag is a bit high and I'm looking to pickup 4 (2 for side and 2 for rear) surrounds. With the ES panels up front (Asent i and Theater i), will the Fresco's compliment them well or simply just muddy things up?

Last edited:
Randall,

I would suggest doing what I did. I went with a Fresco center which is a great detailed speaker with good range. Obviously the Theater is better. I did not want to spend $2k for the Fresco rear surrounds that would require either expensive stands or extra labor to mount on the wall. So for the price of two Vignettes ($1300) I got much better speakers (even better than a Fresco) by getting the Montages for the rear surrounds. They are easy to install and have a better range and are of high quality sound and looks. They have the ATF tweeter that blends in well with the Fresco and EST panels of my Vantages. Also this gives greater flexability to future needs going this route.

What are you doing about HT bass and a sub-woofer?

Brad

About 3 years ago, my dealer suggested a Cinema i center channel and Fresco surrounds to go with my (then) Ascent i s. I thought that this combination of equipment was fine for multi-channel surround and for HT. Now with my Summits, it sounds even better.

I have the combination that you're speaking of Ascent i's, Theater i for center, Descent i, and Fresco for surrounds. I think it's a great combination. If you go that route you won't be disappointed.

Randall,

I would suggest doing what I did. I went with a Fresco center which is a great detailed speaker with good range. Obviously the Theater is better. I did not want to spend $2k for the Fresco rear surrounds that would require either expensive stands or extra labor to mount on the wall. So for the price of two Vignettes ($1300) I got much better speakers (even better than a Fresco) by getting the Montages for the rear surrounds. They are easy to install and have a better range and are of high quality sound and looks. They have the ATF tweeter that blends in well with the Fresco and EST panels of my Vantages. Also this gives greater flexability to future needs going this route.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I'm currently using the 10" aluminum subs in the Ascent i's bi-amping with a separate bass amp (the amp is not high end, but is doing the trick for now). I've auditioned the Dynamo and the Abyss recently and like the smooth sound of the Abyss. I'm over a 3 car garage, so bass reproduction is not as challenging (hollow floor). What are your thoughts?

Thanks! Randall

About 3 years ago, my dealer suggested a Cinema i center channel and Fresco surrounds to go with my (then) Ascent i s. I thought that this combination of equipment was fine for multi-channel surround and for HT. Now with my Summits, it sounds even better.

What does your current speaker system consist of? (front, center, surrounds, sub)

Thanks,

Randall

I have the combination that you're speaking of Ascent i's, Theater i for center, Descent i, and Fresco for surrounds. I think it's a great combination. If you go that route you won't be disappointed.

Hi Dennis,

Is your system a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or ?

Any photos of the system on this site?

Thanks,

Randall

Hi Dennis,

Is your system a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or ?

Any photos of the system on this site?

Thanks,

Randall

Hi Randall,

Currently, my system is 5.1 because I can't really configure 7.1 in my current home. I'm hoping that in the house I'm building I will be able to go to 7.1 even though there isn't much content yet. As to pic's, I can take some tonight and post. The electronics for my current system are: Amp: MC207, Pre/pro: MX119, CD/DVD: Denon 2910, TT Basis1400 with a Benz Glider, which, I'm picking up tonight after having the cables lengthend. As I said, I'm really pleased with what I have even though upgradeitis is starting to hit pretty hard. :D

Randall,

Brad

Good post. Randall, I have the vaunted Summits, and I use a fresco-i for center and am pleasantly surprised. The range is ok, not fantastic, but I have no issues with timbre matching thus far. I should note that I do not have any multi-ch music discs.

My surround speakers (each) cost LESS than 1/20 the price of one of my mains. Zero complaints, outside of a little hissss, but pointing the tweeters away from the listener has ameliorated this quite well. Surround effects are as good as I can possibly hope for them to be. HT is a breeze compared to music. So, I agree, spend good money elsewhere.

What does your current speaker system consist of? (front, center, surrounds, sub)

Thanks,

Randall

I thought my post was clear. The only thing that has changed is the front channels. My sub, BTW, is a Depth.

Exact match

Howdy,

I have ascents on the front, cinema in the center, two depth subs, and frescoes on the rear and it integrates seamlessly...you can't go wrong with frescos...

Mitch

Attachments

• home theater.jpg
    home theater.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 180
  • fresco2.jpg
    fresco2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 175
Mitch,

Great looking setup. I've decided to go with Frescos as they are at a great price and, from what I have been reading, cannot go wrong with the integration into my system (ascent i & theater i). After installation, I hope to have some pics up. Thank you all for the great feedback!!!

randall, i was in a magnolia store about a month ago listening to some vistas and a cinema (which is what i hope to buy for my HT system) and they had frescos for the rear in a 5.1 setup. Because of the design of the room, the frescos were positioned horizontally (like a center channel) instead of vertically like in a traditional 5.1 setup. I've heard frescos before (i was watching the same demo scene) and wasn't all that impressed with them, but in THAT placement i had to say the sound was jaw dropping. i am thinking that when i purchase my system, i'll have script i's as surrounds and the frescos as surround backs mounted horizontally.

Latest posts

Back