Hello from New Member

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebrof2000

Reaction score
Hello to all.
Just purchased a used pair of Ascent i's locally, so just getting started with electrostats/hybrids. Replacing a pair of Magnepan 1.6's which I never thought I'd give up unless I upgraded within the Maggie line.
Looking forward to sharing insights and experiences...

Mike

Welcome aboard Mike! People are great here and very knowledgeable. I surely enjoy visiting this forum almost everyday. They will be more then happy to help you out. We are more like family here. Enjoy your Martin Logan adventure! :music:

George

Hello to all.
Just purchased a used pair of Ascent i's locally, so just getting started with electrostats/hybrids. Replacing a pair of Magnepan 1.6's which I never thought I'd give up unless I upgraded within the Maggie line.
Looking forward to sharing insights and experiences...

Mike

Congrats on your new speakers. I have Summits and I was listening to 20.1s and they are some fantastic speakers. So I take it that you felt you really had to move way up the line for the maggies to outperform the Ascent i's???

Here's the proverbial :welcome: Mike!
I need to warn you, though, that we're a curious bunch here (some would perhaps say vicarious :D ). For example, what is the rest of your system like? What amps and/or processors are you using? Do you use the system primarily for music, or home theater? How do like the Logans compared to your Maggies? And, and, ... ;)

Mike,

Welcome to the group! We have quite a few folks from the Austin area on this list, but many of them have been silent for the last month or two. They must be busy listening to their ML's and enjoying their new home theaters.

I am up in the Cedar Park area off Parmer lane where are you?

We should get the whole Austin group together some time. I have offered to have a listening party here if anyone is interested but have not had any takers yet.

Again, welcome to the group and enjoy those speakers! They are AWESOME!

Mike,

That is interesting. The 1.6s were the first dipoles I heard. I would have bought them but I was concerned that my room is not wide enough for Maggies. That's why I bought Logans instead. Do let us know what you think about the merits and weaknesses of each brand. I recall that a few members mentioned that they owned Maggies. The one ex Maggie owner I can recall off hand is twich54 - I think he had 3.6s. And as you can see, you are not the only ML club member from Austin.

Welcome, and hold on to your wallet. A lot of us contracted Upgraditis - it is highly contagious!

Welcome, and hold on to your wallet. A lot of us contracted Upgraditis - it is highly contagious!

Also know as Joeyitis after our famed Med student here who is the KING of upgrading. Once he gets that majic degree (MD) finished up and is out in the real world making doctor bucks he is going to be a force to reckoned with! :D

Also know as Joeyitis after our famed Med student here who is the KING of upgrading. Once he gets that majic degree (MD) finished up and is out in the real world making doctor bucks he is going to be a force to reckoned with!
Going to be? GOING TO BE? He's scary right now! :D

Congrats on your new speakers. I have Summits and I was listening to 20.1s and they are some fantastic speakers. So I take it that you felt you really had to move way up the line for the maggies to outperform the Ascent i's???

It was a matter of size and my room - It's small @ 13' x 13' x 9'. I think anything bigger than the 1.6s would be too big (1.6s were actually at about the limit). The Ascents, although as tall, are not as wide and don't dominate the room like the Maggies.

Thanks - Mike

Here's the proverbial :welcome: Mike!
I need to warn you, though, that we're a curious bunch here (some would perhaps say vicarious :D ). For example, what is the rest of your system like? What amps and/or processors are you using? Do you use the system primarily for music, or home theater? How do like the Logans compared to your Maggies? And, and, ... ;)

Hey - I figured those questions would come. I didn't want to spill all the beans in one post and then have nothing else to say...

2 Channel only
Jolida JD100 CDP
Krell 400xi integrated

As far as the comparison to the Maggies, all things considered I'm glad I made the move. BUT - I do now realize just how good the Maggies are for the price.
Right now, the MLs do acoustic and 'simple' music better (vocals, piano, etc.). The Maggies did complex music better, but I'm confident that's because 1. The MLs aren't set up yet, and 2. The electronics aren't doing them justice.
I was amazed at how tilting the Ascents back a half inch or so changed the sound significantly. I got lots of work to do.

And thanks for the welcome. Mike

Mike,

That is interesting. The 1.6s were the first dipoles I heard. I would have bought them but I was concerned that my room is not wide enough for Maggies. That's why I bought Logans instead. Do let us know what you think about the merits and weaknesses of each brand. I recall that a few members mentioned that they owned Maggies. The one ex Maggie owner I can recall off hand is twich54 - I think he had 3.6s. And as you can see, you are not the only ML club member from Austin.

I'll wait until I get the MLs set up properly before I do any real comparisons...but don't hold your breath because I think it may take a while.
The upgrade thing is something I'm worried about because now I believe the MLs outclass the rest of my system.

Thanks for the welcome. Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the group! We have quite a few folks from the Austin area on this list, but many of them have been silent for the last month or two. They must be busy listening to their ML's and enjoying their new home theaters.

I am up in the Cedar Park area off Parmer lane where are you?

We should get the whole Austin group together some time. I have offered to have a listening party here if anyone is interested but have not had any takers yet.

Again, welcome to the group and enjoy those speakers! They are AWESOME!

Hey - I checked out your virtual system - Nice.
Thanks for the welcome - I'm in Pflugerville.
Mike

I'll wait until I get the MLs set up properly before I do any real comparisons...but don't hold your breath because I think it may take a while.
The upgrade thing is something I'm worried about because now I believe the MLs outclass the rest of my system.

Thanks for the welcome. Mike

Then what are you thinking of as possible component upgrades in the future? I just bought that Jolida player and am quite happy with it. Even if it rid my music of a lot of sibilance, I still can get quite a bit on particular recordings, namely a Faure Requiem I listened to last night. Maybe it's just the recording. But, I don't know if it's the limitation of my NAD electronics, or if I did not buy a good enough cdp... Anyways, your thoughts on the Jolida?

Then what are you thinking of as possible component upgrades in the future? I just bought that Jolida player and am quite happy with it. Even if it rid my music of a lot of sibilance, I still can get quite a bit on particular recordings, namely a Faure Requiem I listened to last night. Maybe it's just the recording. But, I don't know if it's the limitation of my NAD electronics, or if I did not buy a good enough cdp... Anyways, your thoughts on the Jolida?

I like the Jolida just fine, and the ability to roll the tubes is a nice benefit as well. I've had it for a couple of years now.
I guess I should have put it another way - I believe the Logans will benefit from better electronics more than my previous speakers would have. I don't have any plans to upgrade any time soone, though.
Mike

Hey - I checked out your virtual system - Nice.
Thanks for the welcome - I'm in Pflugerville.
Mike

VIRTUAL?! That is the REAL DEAL BABY!! Come on up the 45 toll way and get off at Parmer, I am just past Avery Ranch at the top of the next hill in Breakaway!

Did you seem Martin Logan heaven on Audiongon or did you see my system here on ML forum?

Welcome, Mike! There appears to be a burgeoning Texas contingent of MLdom! We should get together. In fact I am on my way to Austin this AM for my hospital's quarterly Governing Body meeting. It'll be blackened prime rib at McKlusky's for me tonight!

Did you seem Martin Logan heaven on Audiongon or did you see my system here on ML forum?

I just clicked the link in your signature. I'll check you out on the 'gon as well.
My system (w/ Maggies) is on the 'gon as well - "Relax and Enjoy"
I'll wait until I remove the big Magnepan sign from above my rack before I post my system with the Logans.:D

Mike

Hello and :welcome:! This is probably the best forum around and most friendly too! Have fun with your new speakers and I am confident that a little more tweaking and playing around with it along with some synergy adjustments with regards to the upstreams will definitely improve your already stellar reproduction.

:D

Joey

Another "Welcome Aboard" from me as well. ;)

The Maggies are great speakers in their own right, but I'm sure as you get the system dialed in and things settle down for some critical listening you'll grow to appreciate the Martin Logan sound.

Please do take the time to enter your system in the Member Systems section once you have the time and think about coming to our National Get Together up in Lawrance if you're so inclined. The more the merrier!

p.s. - we all love pictures on this site, can't wait to see your set up.

Back