CLS stands-homemade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Zaret

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the stands I designed and had made for the CLS.
The last one is from the side showing the back. Yes that is a stone paver on the electronics box on a matte used for a drawer. (Thanks Dan the best DIY $5 spent)

Jeff

Last edited:
Sleepysurf,

I looked at the Arcici's and the Sound Anchors and thought they were too high off the ground. I also did not like the design. I was ok but I thought it did not blend well with the design of the speaker and my surroundings.

Listening tests were a guess. What I did do was look at my Sequels and see how far off the ground the panel was and looked at other speakers which had stands. I based the height on my sitting position on the couch and determined that 8 inches was centered in the panel. This also moved the lower end further off the floor where the sound was getting a bit "damped" by the carpet and portions of the couch.

Jeff:cool:

Brad,

The first thing was more clarity. Although it was always there it is more "in your face" in a good way. The low mids and upper bass are more defined which I think was being muffled by the carpet and the couch. Upright bass is to die for now. Drums sound amazingly clean and orchestras sound as if you are there.

You are always welcome to come over and listen but I think it is a bit of a drive. I am really near no one even in S. California.

Sleepysurf,
I looked at the Sound Anchors and thought they were too high off the ground. I also did not like the design. I was ok but I thought it did not blend well with the design of the speaker and my surroundings.

I have the sound anchors, and they do leave a lot to be desired as far as asthetics go...and they do lift them a bit higher than optimal. I'm inspired by you to build some that allow me to adjust the height as well as lean them back or forward if desired....still working out the design....

Jeff,

Did you have your CLS frames refinished, or buff them with something to make them look like that?
They look nicer than the stock finish...

Very nice ! There is a reason why the Prodigies and the Odyssey's panels are located at approximately 58 to 68 in to the top of the panel. It puts our ear at or near the middle of the panel while seated !

Jeff,

Did you have your CLS frames refinished, or buff them with something to make them look like that?
They look nicer than the stock finish...

Slownlo,
No I have done nothing but oil them every few months and dust them monthly. I oil them every few months with a light weight orange oil since I live in the desert. They have always been this color which is a light oak.

In defense of Sound Anchors' CLS stands

As an architect specializing in interiors, I have to say the design of Sound Anchors' CLS stands is nearly perfect, precisely because they do not call attention to themselves. Like a good preamp, they just disappear, leaving the panels, which are complete in themselves, practically levitating above the floor.

When every item in a room is saying, "look at me first!" or, "look, we all match!" (a dead giveaway an amateur got loose) what you get is visual cacophony -- like when the whole orchestra is tuning up at once (except the orchestra eventually stops tuning!) In that kind of room, there is no place for the eyes to rest.

With all due respect to Jeff and his beautifully crafted matching oak stands, to my eye that approach actually diminishes the design impact of the perfectly proportioned oak speaker frame. The CLS is mostly black anyway, so if you must have "matching accents", the Sound Anchor stands are in fact the obvious choice. :bowdown:

PS: They also do the best job :cool:

Sphincter says what?

:wtf: I just noticed the temperature out here on the east coast jumped up dramatically....

Not wanting to start a debate over stands for CLS'shere. My stands were built for a few reasons. One was cost. I could not justify the cost of Sound Anchors. I do not like the design and in my environment they are not appealing. I designed my stands for me and no one else. They have gotten darker since the picture and now are just about the same color as the CLS. The legs are filled with sand which I may or may not have mentioned. My CLS's have not moved since being put on the stands. For the over all cost of around $50.00 I think it was worth the time and investment.

Jeff :cool:

As an architect specializing in interiors,What dont you specialize in ? I have to say the design of Sound Anchors' CLS stands is nearly perfect, precisely because they do not call attention to themselves. Like a good preamp, they just disappear, leaving the panels, which are complete in themselves, practically levitating above the floor. Yeah they do the job , but they look like a welded up help sign , suporting a Monet !:confused::confused:

When every item in a room is saying, "look at me first!" or, "look, we all match!" (a dead giveaway an amateur got loose) what you get is visual cacophony -- like when the whole orchestra is tuning up at once (except the orchestra eventually stops tuning!) In that kind of room, there is no place for the eyes to rest.May I sugest you give you mouth a rest !

With all due respect to Jeff and his beautifully crafted matching oak stands, to my eye that approach actually diminishes the design impact of the perfectly proportioned oak speaker frame. The CLS is mostly black anyway, so if you must have "matching accents", the Sound Anchor stands are in fact the obvious choice. :bowdown: Actually If you were so meticulous on knowing his system , The panels are BRONZE;) , Martin Logan has not made black panels in years.

PS: They also do the best job :cool:Opinions are like *******s , everyone has one and they all stink

Thank you again for your expert advice on Design and structure ! please refrain from spewing your ..... "cacophony" .... on us !

Mediocrity has but one consolation -- the knowledge that genius is not immortal ;)
And you have a Happy New Year too, CAP :banghead:

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the stands I designed and had made for the CLS.
The last one is from the side showing the back. Yes that is a stone paver on the electronics box on a matte used for a drawer. (Thanks Dan the best DIY $5 spent)

Jeff

Jeff,

Very nicely done. I think the stands blend in rather nicely with the room and speakers. If/when you get a chance, post some new pictures. You mentioned that the stands have a darker color.

Once again, job well done!

Erik

Back