Summits with Audio Research HD220

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemonty

Reaction score
I have an Audio Research HD220 on order, to power my Summits. Just wondered if anyone else had tried out this combo?

Thanks, Paul

I haven't heard this amp. Being an ARC fan and current preamp owner, I think you will have a superb match for your ML's.

HD220 a very fine amplifier

I have heard the HD220 with Magnepan 20.1 and the combo sounded glorious. ARC has really done a great job with thier latest generation of components and I am really bought in to the work they are doing. I see no reason that you will not be very happy with the combo. For the money, I would have compaired it to the ref-110 just to see what you like better. Either way very dynamic, clean and even handed throughout the frequency range.....Steve

Welcome, Paul. I have not heard this amp but I do use a Ref 3 preamp and PH5 phono preamp in my current Summit based 2 ch system with superb results. ARC are on to something with their current generation of products and I am not sure these components are capable of sounding "bad"! I am confident you will be more than pleased with your new ARC amp. We look forward to pictures and a review!

I use a Ref 110 and Ref 3 with my Summits. It is, bar none, the best sound I've ever heard with MLs. The HD 220 was on display at the Stereophile show, but it was not plugged into anything. I'd guess that it too would sound wonderful. The new ARC "house" sound seems to be to everyone's liking. (ie, see review of LS 26 in new issue of HIFi+.)

aliveatfive, did you read the Ref 110 review Ken Kessler wrote for Hi Fi news? I must have one.

As a matter of fact, I did. The coincidence was that I got that issue at B&N only several weeks after I got the amp. The Ref 3 makes it sound even better.

Thanks all. I will be sure to post the results here, with pictures too, although the HD220 does look a little bland, visually, I think.

If only I could have afforded the Ref equivalents though... sigh!

Thanks all. I will be sure to post the results here, with pictures too, although the HD220 does look a little bland, visually, I think.

If only I could have afforded the Ref equivalents though... sigh!

The Ref 110 is only a grand more than the 220 and because of the powered woofers of the Summits, fully does them justice.

I agree with stesom. If I didn't own a Ref 3 I would want an LS26-almost the same sound and more bucks for other toys!

If I didn't own a Ref 3 I would want an LS26-almost the same sound and more bucks for other toys!

Someday I would like to move into an LS26! They have been VERY favorably compared to the Ref 3 which is of course OUTSTANDING, probably one of the best Pre's money can buy...ANY money!

Did you ever use the HD 220 with your ML's? I'm thinking of getting a second hand one to use with my Theo's, and was wondering what your listening experience was like.

Hola. I am driving my CLXs with the HD-220. I do like what I am listening. Very different if you make a comparison between all tube and this hybrid. Very good in the inner detail, tons of power, clean and transparent. Wide image, but you do listen to the solid state final stage. It has a warm sound, but lacks the refined sound of the all tube. It is a beast, with a power supply with 220000 uF! It has a lot of juice. To my ears, it is a little thin at the lower mid range than my modified VT-100MLII. It is like driving a Ferrari, you can feel the control, and power. I am very happy with it. Happy listening!

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,368
No. I do not. But my ex-parter, Mr. Malcotti has one. And I drove it several times. But you do not need to own a Ferrari, to know about the power and control of the car, right? You know all about it, through all about what has been written regarding it. I love your SARCASM, my dear friend Bernard. Can you tell the power and control of a new jet air plan? You do not need to be a pilot to know about that too. It is just an analogy to express the good quality of the beast that the Audio Research HD-220 is. There are many other cars brands, that performs as a Ferrari, and costing much less. Here is a review of the HD-220 http://drhifihousecalls.com.au/Reviews/ARC HD220 Review/1.htm There are pics showing the quality built of the amplifier, and also a comparison between tube amp. Happy listening!

Roberto, my question was not intended at all to be sarcastic; you should know me by now. I imagined that Ferrari owners would not willingly let others drive their cars, so I was wondering if you had one. My apologies if I came across as sarcastic.

Bernard, you do not know me too. I love your sense of humour. And if I would be a owner of a Ferrari, I will do the same thing. Not let to other to drive it. When I said driving, it was 5 minutes driving, not taking it to where ever I wanted to go. But in those 5 minutes, you get a good sample of what a Ferrari can do for sure. There is no need to apologize my dear friend. The only question that you asked, was if I own a Ferrari after my statement regarding the beast of this HD-220 Audio Research power amplifier is. Have a good one my dear friend. Also receive my apologize for the word sarcasm! Happy listening!

Roberto, I am considering a used HD-220 for my Theos. The rest of my components are all tube, ARC Pre, ARC Ref CD-8, Canary Phono, Mac Tuner. What made you change in the first place?

Last edited:
Back