NC listening get together

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey now...no trolling the thread, unless you're intending to make a trip down to NC! Don't you have some gear you need to go upgrade? :D

yeah, what he said b*tch! :D

I think I'm going to be in Fayettevile the weekend of June 22. Could I come along? I'll bring CDs and my Oppo, and some interesting cables if anyone is interested...

Actually, I'm moving to Fayetteville full-time sometime in June or July, so perhaps we can make NC get-togethers a regular thing, when I get settled in and can host. The house that we are looking at has a PERFECT room downstairs for HT/dedicated listening, and my sweety has already agreed with me that it will be my "bat cave" that I can outfit however I want for audio. Plus the house is on a slope, so this room is surrounded on 2 sides by the hill, so we can rattle the windows and the neighbors probably won't even know... :)

--Richard

Last edited:
I think I'm going to be in Fayettevile the weekend of June 22. Could I come along? I'll bring CDs and my Oppo, and some interesting cables if anyone is interested...

Actually, I'm moving to Fayetteville full-time sometime in June or July, so perhaps we can make NC get-togethers a regular thing, when I get settled in and can host. The house that we are looking at has a PERFECT room downstairs for HT/dedicated listening, and my sweety has already agreed with me that it will be my "bat cave" that I can outfit however I want for audio. Plus the house is on a slope, so this room is surrounded on 2 sides by the hill, so we can rattle the windows and the neighbors probably won't even know... :)

--Richard

Sounds to me like you need one of these http://www.rotarywoofer.com/ to really round out the bottom few octaves!

I'll bring my homemade rythmik servo sub, if anyone's system can accomodate one...thing's a real b*tch to carry though.

--Richard

Bring it on! WooHoo someone else to feed my habbit.

Bring it on! WooHoo someone else to feed my habbit.

Can I pick up habbit food at my local pet store? :D

Edit: Habbit looked like rabbit to me upon first reading...so I thought it said "someone to feed my rabbit." :D

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you need one of these http://www.rotarywoofer.com/ to really round out the bottom few octaves!

I've seen that one before--VERY cool...

But the SAF on that sub is into the seriously negative range. I think I can get away with a lot in my room, but cutting holes in the walls and mounting a refrigerator-size box to it might be straining things a little... :)

Luckily, my sweety REALLY likes music, and is a COMPLETE movie fanatic, so having a decent HT/music setup is a pretty easy sell. he only thing she gets a little difficult with is room treatments--she's of the opinon that if its not art or a storage unit it shouldn't be hanging on a wall...

But I think I can sneak some home-made "corner tunes" and "echo tuners" that I've made based on the Michael Green units. They are basically small pillows about 1" thick that you pin up in the corners and on the side walls. If any of you folks haven't experienced the difference the Micheal Green products can make, I'd suggest finding a dealer and tryng some out. They are relatively unobtrusive and they don't make your room look like a recording studio with huge foam panels coating the walls...

Anyway, we're still working on the deal for this house, and it's not carved in stone yet, but it looks pretty good so far. The only thing about this property that isn't perfect is that it has no garage, and I REALLY need a place to house all the gear for my other hobby--letterpress printing. I have close to 3 TONS of presses, benches, tools, and lead type that just can't go in the house, so if we do get this house, I'm going to be spending my spare time this summer building a workshop in the backyard, complete with several 220 electrical drops, and LOTS of good overhead lighting (SolaTubes for daytime lighting, probably) and strong ventilation. The one great advantage of NC over WV or MD is that I don't have to worry too much about heating the workshop...

Anyway, regardless of whether or not we get this specific house, I WILL be moving to NC this summer, and should be able to host a get-together sometime in the early fall. If we do get this house, it should make for a VERY posh listening room, because as the room stands, it's almost perfect--big, open, block walls, built-in shelving on one end (for all the audio gear!), AND it opens directly into the back yard, so "outdoor smoke breaks" dont require traipsing through the whole house. Martin Logans in the house, and Partagas on the porch!

I suppose I need to start shopping for a decent gas grill now.... :p

--Richard

I've seen that one before--VERY cool...

But the SAF on that sub is into the seriously negative range. I think I can get away with a lot in my room, but cutting holes in the walls and mounting a refrigerator-size box to it might be straining things a little... :)

Luckily, my sweety REALLY likes music, and is a COMPLETE movie fanatic, so having a decent HT/music setup is a pretty easy sell. he only thing she gets a little difficult with is room treatments--she's of the opinon that if its not art or a storage unit it shouldn't be hanging on a wall...

But I think I can sneak some home-made "corner tunes" and "echo tuners" that I've made based on the Michael Green units. They are basically small pillows about 1" thick that you pin up in the corners and on the side walls. If any of you folks haven't experienced the difference the Micheal Green products can make, I'd suggest finding a dealer and tryng some out. They are relatively unobtrusive and they don't make your room look like a recording studio with huge foam panels coating the walls...

Anyway, we're still working on the deal for this house, and it's not carved in stone yet, but it looks pretty good so far. The only thing about this property that isn't perfect is that it has no garage, and I REALLY need a place to house all the gear for my other hobby--letterpress printing. I have close to 3 TONS of presses, benches, tools, and lead type that just can't go in the house, so if we do get this house, I'm going to be spending my spare time this summer building a workshop in the backyard, complete with several 220 electrical drops, and LOTS of good overhead lighting (SolaTubes for daytime lighting, probably) and strong ventilation. The one great advantage of NC over WV or MD is that I don't have to worry too much about heating the workshop...

Anyway, regardless of whether or not we get this specific house, I WILL be moving to NC this summer, and should be able to host a get-together sometime in the early fall. If we do get this house, it should make for a VERY posh listening room, because as the room stands, it's almost perfect--big, open, block walls, built-in shelving on one end (for all the audio gear!), AND it opens directly into the back yard, so "outdoor smoke breaks" dont require traipsing through the whole house. Martin Logans in the house, and Partagas on the porch!

I suppose I need to start shopping for a decent gas grill now.... :p

--Richard

and my wife can be your interior designer.:D Sounds good to me.

Didn't think the WAF was all that low on the rotary woofer...I think it's the NAF that's the problem. (N=Neighbor) Venting a subwoofer that's good down to DC into the open air of your neighborhood would probably make more than a few people unhappy.

Man you guys keep up this patter and I might join ya'll if you do it in Charlotte. I'm only 2.5 hrs away.

Then again, Some of you might want to make the trek to the Atlanta metro event I'm planning...

Man you guys keep up this patter and I might join ya'll if you do it in Charlotte. I'm only 2.5 hrs away.

Then again, Some of you might want to make the trek to the Atlanta metro event I'm planning...

Atlanta is 4 hrs away from Charlotte. I will come anyway. Have car will travel. When is it?

Back