Formula One Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiophiliac

Reaction score
I didnt want to get too off-topic in the other post about HD, so I created this for the discussion of F1 racing. Enjoy...no bashing or trash talking. ;)

As far as continuing the other posts, I agree that L. Hamilton is nuts fast! He has a very good chance of at least beating Alonso this year, and might even have a real run at the championship. I think its too early to tell which team will have the upper hand though. I have always been a Ferrari lover....since I was a kid...watching Magnum P.I., Miami Vice, etc....my favorite Hot Wheels was a chrome "Ultra Hot Testarossa".

Ive only been watching F1 for 5 years or so...lucky for me, this was the legendary era of Michael Schumacher...king of F1. Lets see...I have lived through Michael Jordan, Michael Schumacher, and the Boise State Broncos winning the Fiesta Bowl in a miraculous victory in OT. :) We should all feel lucky.

Although I was a big Schumi fan, I am a bigger Ferrari fan....and although I, too, am not a big Kimi fan, I have to root for him after Massa....I think Massa has great potential and has come so far from beginning of last season. I hope he wins this year. I know MS had a big influence on him and that cant be bad. I just hope he can keep his head together under the pressure. Kimi seems to be calm in tight situations and I think that is his strength. He is consistent and cool. His weakness is that he is about as good at communicating as a doorknob.

But McLaren, with Alonso and Hamilton, are going to bring it every race. And Ferrari is going to have to work harder than ever to stay ahead. I have liked Alonso since he began F1. He has always been a great character and driver.

I would have to say that behind Ferrari, I hope Toyota can get something going this year.

All in all, it will be an intense and interesting season regardless of the outcome.

Curiously, I was a Ferrari fan since I can remember. I was rooting for Didier Pironi before I even knew there were rednecks running circles in big cement toilets, but I never could bring myself to cheer for the wrong-red cars of the Schumacher era.

It looks like Alonso made the right choice in leaving Renault. :)

I'm only 24 but my dad is a racing super fan, so I've been watching (when possible) F1 since about 1990. I was a big Shumacher fan back when he was racing for Benetton...which used Ford engines :p

I am really disappointed this year with the Honda team. I like Button and I believe he is very talented, but for the "reported" $500+ million Honda spent on the new car.... it sure is slow!

I had the pleasure of going to an F1 race two or three years ago. I got tickets through work, Michelin. Now they are getting out of F1 and our plant is closing. We built mainly BFG race tires but all the F1 tires are made in France. Watching those cars is really something to see and hear.

I had the pleasure of going to an F1 race two or three years ago. I got tickets through work, Michelin. Now they are getting out of F1 and our plant is closing. We built mainly BFG race tires but all the F1 tires are made in France. Watching those cars is really something to see and hear.

I love the off throttle engine braking that they can dial into the cars. They sound like they are ripping the air, it is just UNREAL the noise those cars make. You don't get that on TV either. Not that ripping noise.

I like Williams. I liked DC and Damon Hill. Probably in part because I am in a wheelchair and to see Frank Williams at EVERY RACE and the dude is a Quad AND he is OLD! Very inspiring for me! Damon and DC are both super fast, but almost to kind and gentlemanly, and Schumi took advantage of that often! DC should be a world Champ... He was close so many times!

I also liked Jordan! Eddie was always interesting to hear interviews, kind of like Flav these days...he has always been a character too!

I have been to the Austrian GP in 2000, the USGP in 2000 and 2006! Nice trips! Good times!

F1-racing

Well, i have to route for Ferrari in public, not cause i own one but if my Ferrari brothers find out i'm routing for Mclaren well you don't want to know what will happen to me.:rolleyes:

To bad they don't have it on HDTV. I don't have Speed Channel, but last year they had a race, England??, on local channel and did it sound SWEEET on my system.:)
I didnt want to get too off-topic in the other post about HD, so I created this for the discussion of F1 racing. Enjoy...no bashing or trash talking. ;)

As far as continuing the other posts, I agree that L. Hamilton is nuts fast! He has a very good chance of at least beating Alonso this year, and might even have a real run at the championship. I think its too early to tell which team will have the upper hand though. I have always been a Ferrari lover....since I was a kid...watching Magnum P.I., Miami Vice, etc....my favorite Hot Wheels was a chrome "Ultra Hot Testarossa".

Ive only been watching F1 for 5 years or so...lucky for me, this was the legendary era of Michael Schumacher...king of F1. Lets see...I have lived through Michael Jordan, Michael Schumacher, and the Boise State Broncos winning the Fiesta Bowl in a miraculous victory in OT. :) We should all feel lucky.

Although I was a big Schumi fan, I am a bigger Ferrari fan....and although I, too, am not a big Kimi fan, I have to root for him after Massa....I think Massa has great potential and has come so far from beginning of last season. I hope he wins this year. I know MS had a big influence on him and that cant be bad. I just hope he can keep his head together under the pressure. Kimi seems to be calm in tight situations and I think that is his strength. He is consistent and cool. His weakness is that he is about as good at communicating as a doorknob.

But McLaren, with Alonso and Hamilton, are going to bring it every race. And Ferrari is going to have to work harder than ever to stay ahead. I have liked Alonso since he began F1. He has always been a great character and driver.

I would have to say that behind Ferrari, I hope Toyota can get something going this year.

All in all, it will be an intense and interesting season regardless of the outcome.

80% chance of rain tomorrow. I wonder if there'll be enough finishers to fill the points positions. :)

I love Monaco too!! TOo bad Kimi kissed the barrier....oh well...it will be intense fun watching him pick his way through the field. :)

If it rains, its on...I dont know how well Hamilton does in the wet, but it will be very exciting to watch everyone slide around the track and pinball off the armco. :) Alonso does well in the wet, as does Kimi, Heidfeld, Trulli, Barrichello, and Ralf. It will be awesome! Hopefully I am not the only one who drags my a$$ up at 5:30 AM to watch the races live. ;)

I love Monaco too!! TOo bad Kimi kissed the barrier....oh well...it will be intense fun watching him pick his way through the field. :)

If it rains, its on...I dont know how well Hamilton does in the wet, but it will be very exciting to watch everyone slide around the track and pinball off the armco. :) Alonso does well in the wet, as does Kimi, Heidfeld, Trulli, Barrichello, and Ralf. It will be awesome! Hopefully I am not the only one who drags my a$$ up at 5:30 AM to watch the races live. ;)

Not a Kimi fan AT ALL! BIG DC fan! He got TOTALLY HOSED...BUT he should have been watching his mirrors and his team should have told him what was going on, but that was TO HARSH! He drives Monaco better than just about anyone!! Did you hear he owns a hotel in Monaco?! Those guys have ALL THE MONEY!

I TiVo it myself and watch when I get home from church. Went to the 2000 US GP, the 2000 Austrian GP, and the 2006 US GP! Good times!!!

I really like the SpEdTV announsers, I got to meet Varsha at Barber when his son was there for a Skip Barber race and he was nice enough to chat with us in the morning for almost an hour. (His son's quick, btw, watch for him in a few years. :))

Having said that. WTF were they thinking saying Massa might be on a one-stop strategy when he pitted on lap 15 and put soft tires on? 15 laps into teh race you're going to put soft tires on to hold enough fuel to do the last sixty three laps? That's absurd.

French TV sucks, too. :)

I really like the SpEdTV announsers, I got to meet Varsha at Barber when his son was there for a Skip Barber race and he was nice enough to chat with us in the morning for almost an hour. (His son's quick, btw, watch for him in a few years. :))

Having said that. WTF were they thinking saying Massa might be on a one-stop strategy when he pitted on lap 15 and put soft tires on? 15 laps into teh race you're going to put soft tires on to hold enough fuel to do the last sixty three laps? That's absurd.

French TV sucks, too. :)

I agree w/ all the above. I met Bob at the '06 USGP...nice guy. We had a nice talk. Didn't get to talk w/ Matchet, but did talk w/ Hobbs... Also met the guy that wispers in their ears during the broadcasts (is that the producer?) he is the one with ALL the knowledge! Not to say those boys don't know their stuff, but this guy is the one that compiles all the stats! Can't remember his name off the top of my head though!

Great to see Alonso really get after it today! My TiVo did NOT get the interviews though and I am ****ED! I also tuned in about 5 min to late to catch the re-airing of the race! Dang it!!!

It was a rather uneventful race.....especially for Monaco....but although Alonso drove a perfect race, that Hamilton character....watch out! He is amazing....the amount of focus and car control and determination is akin to the likes of MS and Senna....he has already been predicted by several important people to be the next "great" F1 driver....

Only time will tell, but McLaren has got there stuff together so far this season and will really be bringing the fight to Ferrari.

Fox cant do any worse a job of covering the races than CBS...and maybe we will see some HD? Lets hope!! Next 4 races are on Fox...keep it in mind.

Good lord, how could everyone be so far off of the pace set by McLaren?! I'm starting to wonder if that "moving wing" controversy might not be true.

Good lord, how could everyone be so far off of the pace set by McLaren?! I'm starting to wonder if that "moving wing" controversy might not be true.

I agree, McLaren smoked EVERYONE! There was no one even close! How about Massa's expression while getting his trophy?! That was a somber look.

I hope Fox will put the next 4 in HD! That was the ONE thing I liked about CBS's coverage...about the only thing really!

As for moveable wings, go back and look at the Renault front wing flex! It was pretty amazing to see the "ING" become more and less visible as the car sped up and slowed down! If they were actually going fast they would be getting in trouble for that! Might anyway, it was quite aparent.

Great race in Monaco this weekend.

I was pleased to see both Alonso (my bet for Champ this year) and Hamilton take the top spots again.

My money is on Hamilton to win a race in the next 4 outings. For sure at least one this year, even if it's due to someone else having problems ahead. he's always 'right there', so he should be able to capitalize. That, and he's just darned quick.

Disappointing to see Kovalainen so far back, I had higher hopes for that young driver. Maybe it's the ride, the Renault does not seem on the pace this year.

Yup. The boy wonder (Hamilton) showed why he is the boy wonder, powersilding all around Monaco! He was drifting his McLaren around Rascasse as if it were a rally car on a dirt course.

And the boss (Alonso) showed why he is the boss. Eight of the ten fastest laps, smooth and controlled too!

And the boss (Alonso) showed why he is the boss. Eight of the ten fastest laps, smooth and controlled too!

Yea, he TOTALLY came alive after two races getting shown the door by the new kid! I like Alonso, seems like a real gentelman. That is why I like DC also, but Alonso also has an edge of aggression that we never saw from DC...probably what kept him from at least ONE championship!

I'm a longtime F1 fan myself (for my age) and Ferrari has always been my team.

It's interesting to watch McLaren and Ferrari duke it out like a few years ago. I'll echo everyone's sentiments on Hamilton. He's the new talent to keep your eye on over the next few years. It'll be fun to see how this season pans out.

Back