Nakamichi PA-7

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorToad

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this amp? Says it's 200 Wpc into 8 Ohms but I don't see anything on its ability to go to lower impedances. TIA.

I've checked PA-7 through internet in Japan because Nakamichi is Japanese audio maker. However nothing hit. Only I've got the information about PA-70 which output is 200W at 8 ohm.

Beat is right. Nakamichi developed PA-70 by the technical transfer from Threshold, and started to sell PA-70 in 1986.

You can check this site with pictures of PA-70 and the specifications though written in Japanese. :)

http://page.freett.com/knisi/pa-70.htm

If you want to know the content, I can translate it. It looks PA-70 was highly appreciated at that time because of clear and non-coloraion sound.

Shuji

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was looking at one on ebay but I picked up a Carver MXR 130 receiver (and started a thread about it :)).

Yes, I have heard this amplifier in 1987. It is a well built amplifier. Is this the same Strasis PA-7. It had a warm sound . It is biased in Class A and used to get damn hot. It was then priced at US$ 2500.

FYI: There is an bunch of used Mitsubishi equipment for sale in the basement of Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, including the DA-A10DC which looked very interesting.

I'm just mentioning it for any fans of older Japanese electronics, it all looks to be in great shape. I have no idea about how it sounds or the price.

Similar:
Mitsubishi%20DA-10DC.jpg

Regarding the PA-7 i do have infront of me a review made but the Danish High Fidelity magasin (1/1987) ..., they did test the nakamichi PA-7 with the Martin Logan CLS

In short terms the conclusion did state:
The amplifire is clearly made for the purpose to be used with electrostatic speakers ...the PA-7 deliever a warm pleasent sound which normaly comes from the best solidstate Class A or valve amps, it combines absolut stability to deliever a lot of power into low impedance and capacitive loads, overall the powerfull bass combined with an precise but non agressive treble ... makes it a perfect amplifier for use with full range electrostatic speakers (ML CLS)

Messured specs:
2x250W/8Ohm, 2Ohm peak power (one chanal) 35 Amp (1225W) :rocker:

Sry! my hasty and poor translation ..., hope you can make use of this :rolleyes:

Regarding the PA-7 i do have infront of me a review made but the Danish High Fidelity magasin (1/1987) ..., they did test the nakamichi PA-7 with the Martin Logan CLS

In short terms the conclusion did state:
The amplifire is clearly made for the purpose to be used with electrostatic speakers ...the PA-7 deliever a warm pleasent sound which normaly comes from the best solidstate Class A or valve amps, it combines absolut stability to deliever a lot of power into low impedance and capacitive loads, overall the powerfull bass combined with an precise but non agressive treble ... makes it a perfect amplifier for use with full range electrostatic speakers (ML CLS)

Messured specs:
2x250W/8Ohm, 2Ohm peak power (one chanal) 35 Amp (1225W) :rocker:

Sry! my hasty and poor translation ..., hope you can make use of this :rolleyes:
Wow, that's a perfect review... just too late for me. The amp that I was thinking about is still on ebay, if anyone's collecting. :)

After a loong search for an amp which can cope the demands of my CLS ..., i have bought the little brother to the PA7 MKII

The Nakamichi PA5E MKII :rocker: The additional "E" is just added for the European version which got a few minor changes to approve to German regulations. ;)

This in my pov a lovely power amp ..., it uses the same circuit of the PA-7, inc. the type and count of power transistors in the final stage (14 pieces of Sankens each chanal) the difference is in broad terms the casing/cooling and use of a smaller PSU .., still it got afir a 700 or 800 watt transformer, the main caps are in total 97000µF

the official specs informs that the max constant output current is 18A ..., peak current amaizing 70 Amps :clap:

A few pics of my new power station :p

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 5,706
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 4,303
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6,049
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 5,021
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 4,210
Last edited:
If I recall this amp was made for Nakamichi by Threshold. I could be wrong but I do not think I'm.

NICE!

That PA-7 I was looking at wound up going for almost $500, so I wouldn't have gotten it at the time, anyway. The TFM-42 I did get was under $400 shipped and it mates very well to my Sequels, so I'm not that sad about missing the Nak. Not that I wouldn't lke to A-B that thing with the -42... :D

After a loong search for an amp which can cope the demands of my CLS ..., i have bought the little brother to the PA7 MKII

The Nakamichi PA5E MKII :rocker: The additional "E" is just added for the European version which got a few minor changes to approve to German regulations. ;)
This is the same amp the person was using who I bought my CLSIIz's from.

Located a site where the sales prospect/brochure are offered for sale ;)

Here is the ones for Nakamichi MKII amps :D

Attachments

• pa5ii_1.jpg
    pa5ii_1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 8,160
  • pa5ii_2.jpg
    pa5ii_2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 5,373
  • pa7ii_1.jpg
    pa7ii_1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 5,417
  • pa7ii_2.jpg
    pa7ii_2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 4,113
Last edited:
The ones for the MKI models ;)

Attachments

• pa7_1.jpg
    pa7_1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 5,856
  • pa7_2.jpg
    pa7_2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 6,708
  • pa7_3.jpg
    pa7_3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 3,765
  • pa7_4.jpg
    pa7_4.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 4,381
Last edited:
I always like the Nak gear!! Still looks good to my eye even today. In fact it has a little bit of a Rotel look to it in some ways... not a bad thing that.

Back