Michigan Get Together

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 8th will work for me ! I can do it the 16th but would prefer the 8th.(the 16th is a Sunday ) Let me know what works out for ya all.

Kruppy I would love for you to bring your analyzer equipment ! :bowdown:

Ill supply the Food and the Beer, You guys supply the Music and the fun. :rocker:

Lets get a roll call going !

1. C.A.P

The 8th will work for me ! I can do it the 16th but would prefer the 8th.(the 16th is a Sunday ) Let me know what works out for ya all.

Kruppy I would love for you to bring your analyzer equipment ! :bowdown:

Ill supply the Food and the Beer, You guys supply the Music and the fun. :rocker:

Lets get a roll call going !

1. C.A.P
2. Kruppy

Barring any family get togethers that might come up last minute, I'm good to go either day.

I'll plan on bringing the lap top for sweeps. The only thing that might get in our way is the distance between your pre and seating position. I'm limited to about 6-8 feet or so due to interconnect lengths for the SPL meter.

George, Ken and Jim where are you guys?

Cool The 8th its is !

Funny news fellas , I have my eye on a mint pair of ODDYSEYS ! :rolleyes: .........Man I should not!:cool: but I may !:devil: I love the ability to freely bi amp ! And they are sized right for my room !..............OH BOY !

Cool The 8th its is !

Funny news fellas , I have my eye on a mint pair of ODDYSEYS ! :rolleyes: .........Man I should not!:cool: but I may !:devil: I love the ability to freely bi amp ! And they are sized right for my room !..............OH BOY !

C.A.P.,
I've seen the Odyssey ad you're considering (assuming it's the Utica location). I know of another place (audio dealer) that has a pair of matte black that their asking $2499 without shipping containers (not sure of the condition though). It's a bit of drive for pick up as I believe they're located in Pa. They've been for sale for quite some time which might be a good leverage/bargining tool.......

OK guys , (and Gals, if there are any) Any one who would like to join me and the rest of us for a get together at my place , let me know by PM. I will send you directions and such.

With the Holidays it should be festive and jolly. Music will be a flowing and fun all around. Bring anything you would like to listen to and any tweak you may want to try,(I am user friendly to switching out things) .

I will supply Food and Drink. You supply the tunes and fun.

Any one is invited just PM me .

Look forward to seeing ya all.

C.A.P

So far the Original 5 ........:bowdown: .SWEET ! looking forward

Any new comers ? :music:

Anytime after 1:00 PM is cool by me !

I am Demoing a new pair if IC balanced cables. Analysis Audio

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing all, Chris, is the ic 1 meter? if so I would like to bring my Synergistic Research Tesla.

Yes ! they are short runs , The ones I am demoing are 3 meters but the 1 meters will work . Man this is gonna be fun. Kruppy and the measuring device. Ken and some world class IC to try ...........:bowdown:

Hey guys, I may have to bail on coming out tomorrow. We have a limited window of time that allows us to get out and get a tree and decorate and it is looking increasingly more likely that tomorrow will be the only day that we can do it.

I am still trying to figure things out but I wanted to give a heads up. I hope to see you all but if not, have a great holiday and I will look forward to a spring get together.

Jim

This sounds like a Frank "The Tank" story from old school. Umm....... No! me and the wife are going shopping to Home Depot and Bed Bath and Beyond .......

J/K.............I under stand I have a wife and kids too. Id love to have ya over . See what you can pull off .....

Looking forward to you all.:music:

Chris has a very nice system I took a non-audophile friend along and he was very impressed with the system as well as our knowledge and dedication to our hobby. Chris and his wife are the perfect hosts, making all of us feel at home. thanks again to Chris and to this site for giving us an avenue to meet those of us with similar intrests.
Pictures to follow.

Well I would like to thank Ken ,Denis, George and Bob for coming out . It was a blast. The Theme for the night seemed to be acoustic and Flamenco guitar music. Ken started us out with a disc he so graciously gave all of us . With track #1 "while My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Jake Shimabukuro. It was a great recording of acoustical guitar-Ukulele work with a slight oriental feel. It was so good we went on to listen to track #2 by the same artist , He did a wonderful version of "The Star Spangled Banner " , all acoustic . Man what a treat!

Next George broke out some light vocal music the we mulled over ,I cant recall the name , (It was a obscure recording that he said he just found, and has not had a long listen to) We started to speed it up a bit with some Dire Straits , On Every Street, It is always a good demo disc to get a feel for the system. With that we went back to a live recording of Michael Hedges , A special treat from George that was Acoustical guitar again. It was great. I felt like he was right there playing as we chatted. Another must have for me! A great compliment was then given by George that it sounded Like he was sitting in the small venue he seen him at in Ann Arbor MI.

Bob arrived shortly after and man did he blow us away with a fantastic recording of Rodrigo Y Gabriela. WOW ! What a treat in recording and talent. (I will be getting that today if possible ) These two can play. The sound was fantastic , Denis who was so polite and gracious to come and listen with Ken even got his pen out and was taking names and notes. I Thank you BOB for introducing me to this treat.

With that it was a few more beers and munchies, the DB started to go up a bit as I broke out the Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over " and gave Bob and George a taste of the sweet seat and some bass that was felt. Bob had a few more recordings that were great , (Ill be contacting all of you for names and such) but the fun really started to happen when George broke out a old recording of Candy O by the Cars. Suddenly George wanted a bit more DB. I told him and any one , Its a Krell you wont run out of volume. (As Ken over heard me and grinned) .

George then took me up on that and broke out Deep Purple, and proceeded to "Turn it up " as they say. I had Ritchie Blackmore front row center pounding out those famous opening guitar riffs. As george sipped his beer and looked like a 17 year old at a concert.

I did make a profit from the event as Ken and I had a wager ($1.00). Upon my wifes arrival ,I told him to ask her what disc she wanted to hear. I guaranteed it would be Dr. Hook ! Instead We Got Captian Hook out of her.

Again I would like to thank Ken, Denis, George, Bob, and My wife. It was great fun and there were some great recordings listened too. As with any system you are used to the sound of your own. I was curious as to the opinions of others. I was surprised as I got some great reviews from you all. George liked the really high crisp detail of the system , Bob said it wasn't to LIVE for him, Which I was a bit worried about. (There are a lot of hard surfaces). Bob said he loved the ability to turn it up and it just gets louder and stays clean. Denis liked the punchiness it seemed, as him and the rest said you could feel it at times.

We were having so much fun we never found the time to try Kens interconnects,(thanks Ken for bringing , I would love to try them later) Bob was very eager to measure the system but we ran into a small glitch, My system is so simple I have no pre outs on my Theta. He and I were leary of hooking a lap top directly to a small welder (the Krell) . George made friends fast with my wife as he presented her with a fine White micro brew as a warming gift, that was great.

The system consisted of : AMPLIFICATION...Krell FPB300C , feeding a Theta Miles Balanced player with Analysis Plus Copper Oval one interconnects. The speaker cable was a Proto type from a manufacture in Chicago. The Sub that was just hooked into the system was a Sunfire True sub. ran 90*out of Phase, x-over at 50 hz and at 0db on the attenuation. This was a big risk as I never ran a sub with this system. It was a seamless blend as I asked every one if they could tell where it was and the consensus was NO ! It blends well.

Again thanks GUYS, Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

C.A.P

Last edited:
First, thanks Chris (and Karen) for inviting us into your home for the afternoon and for providing more food than we could devour in 4 or 5 hours of drinking (and listening :devil: ).

My layman's observations:
Chris' system is very minimalistic and I'm envious, Theta Miles directly into his Krell along with Quests with new panels. His "man-cave" is roughly 16 x 25 with his Quests on one of 16' walls which has the stone fireplace and hearth. To the left (from the listing position) is a large leather couch, to the right his equipment along with a large wall mounted TV and separate HT setup. On the rear wall is a bar. The listening position is roughly 5 feet from the rear wall and is a comfortable overstuffed leather chair. In left front corner sat a stuffed/mounted coyote or wolf (not sure which) that freaked George out a bit because it wouldn't stop starring at him. Chris ended up putting a Christmas stocking over it's face (the coyote's not George's).

Chris' biggest concern was brightness, which to me was not an issue. If anything, listening to Chris' system has me believing that my system is way too bright and harsh. To me the high end sounded smooth in spite of his "lively" room.

Bass, there was a heck of a lot more than my system. I'm impressed with the Quest's bass response and that he was able to blend in his Sunfire sub seamlessly. When I first got there I was pretty much standing right on top of his sub, but had no idea that it was there until Chris pointed it out and shut it down to demonstrate the sound difference with and without. If anything, this gives me confidence that I will be able to mix a more "budget" but well designed/performing sub into my system with acceptable results.

I'd like to hear Chris' system with some acoustical treatments, not that it's at all obvious he needs them, but to see if there's a difference having now been in the room and understanding his concerns.

As with Ken's Krell system, Chris' had no issues playing clear without harshness at louder levels. George played "Smoke On The Water" and it felt like we were right "there". I stood at the back wall, behind the bar, and it was vibrating quite a bit.

Thanks again for the afternoon and one day it will be my turn.

I'll post the recordings that I brought shortly.

Pictures Ken!

Last edited:
Thanks Bob , I went out and bought that Rodrigo Y Gabriela CD, what a treat ! The young kid at the FYE store had a wedge Mohawk and was not the type that you would think would even have the faintest idea of who they were . He was like these two are great. (It surprised me to say the least, There is hope for the youth ) The DVD he said was sweet as it shows them playing. I will be watching it this evening. There are a few other recording I will get after you post the names. :music:

Back